Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Blair512 »

Mrs 512 is off to see Little mix with her pals and the bairns are away caravanning with their Gran and Grandad , that means I've got an evening free to do absolutely nowt! Having a few pints, a takeaway and then passing out on the couch, pukka Friday night :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry for being a day late but my tale relates to yesterday.
Just returned from a few days at the TdF which was a good excuse for doing some riding in the Pyrenees. Based ourselves near St Lary Soulan which meant we watched the "sprint" stage on Wednesday at the 2,200m summit, nice to see Quintana make a bit of a comeback. Yesterday I'd hatched a plan to ride 50km along the stage over the Col dAspin and try to get as far as possible up the Tourmalet. Set off at 8am in misty conditions going straight up to 1,500m where I broke through the cloud and realised I'd massively overdressed but quickly dropped back to 700m where it was still chilly, the joys of mountain riding. Then started up the 18km climb of the Tourmalet. There were dozens of riders doing the climb and given I was wearing my local club kit, a Catalan chap soon joined me and started chatting, he was clearly confused with my frame and bar bag and that I was spinning along in big ring as he asked whether I was on an electric bike. Cheered up by this I kept plugging away and amazingly got to the top non stop. It was pandemonium up at 2,100m so I took the obligatory pic of the statue and came back down a bit to find somewhere to sit. The speed the pros came up was amazing apart from Peter Sagan who was clearly knackered and wobbling all over the road when he passed me. Once the excitement was over there followed a hair raising slalom down the mountain and climb back over the Aspin where I was nearly knocked over the edge into oblivion by a berk in a UK reg VW camper with bike on the back. Just got to the top to watch the last 10km on a big screen that had been set up. Stats were 93km and 3,012m of ascent, a grand day out
Tourmalet TdF https://imgur.com/gallery/ARrMyJE
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I am in the Pyrenees in a UK reg VW camper van. Wasn’t me though as I would not have missed
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Annoyingly it was the only close pass I experienced in 6 hours of riding on fairly narrow mountain roads, suppose I should have expected it from a pimped white T5 with orange body kit and massive alloys but seeing the matching road bike on the carrier was a bit of a shock, seems getting behind the wheel transforms you from cyclist to prick.
Anyway Dave, what are you doing so close without coming to see us? It's a bit warmer than when Chicken Legs called in.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Next year Duncan. This was a long standing meet up with some Irish friends that had got a bit messy in both cycling and alcohol terms.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Early to bed and off canoeing on the Obra river in Poland tomorrow with my daughter, her partner and two grandsons.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sat overlooking the beach at Bray Dunes nr Dunkirk supping a Leffe Blonde :-)

It is somewhere north of 30 C though
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

And I'm off work, been for a yomp across the Humber Bridge with the kiddies. Now relaxing in the garden with a beer. Soon be time to sort out camping kit for my weekend away with the twins :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

It's feckin' hot here, so I'm off to a packrafting training for two days on/in a glacial river. Can't wait and will train many wet exits :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just had my bi-annual visit from Terry Jones. Happy to report that he doesn't look bad, also met his daughter for the first time and the same applies to her :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd was he lucky enough to be treated to lemon drizzle?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, sadly I'm just polished off the last scone in the house.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Holidaying in Chamonix, enough said :-bd
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Yay - it turns out it's Friday again!

This week I built up my old KHS Montana Pro using XT 2x11 (good prices from Madison on bundles atm if anyone is looking to build up and for hustling their IBD) .
I'd forgotten how nicely it rides as a full flesh mtb. It's going to be her bike to see if she likes this bikepacking malarky, to whit we're off for a night in the Surrey Hills on Sat.
Looking forward to seeing how she fairs - she's pretty bloody minded and has more grit than she gives herself credit for so other so I think she'll do really well - hope she enjoys it.

A visit to the Colombian sushi place over the road awaits, followed by whisky. Oh yes. :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Another chaotic week at work, got to do a BAM and the forecast is sh*te :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo_simon wrote:Holidaying in Chamonix, enough said :-bd
Feck! I’m back home :((

Can’t believe that was a week ago.

Anyways, met my Nephew for the second time today, yesterday being the first as he was born whilst I was away. Great way to end the week
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Well it was Friday and still is Friday related...
Finally finished the house renovation on Friday after 10 months of serious hard labour and a few sheds full of money.
Estate agent valued it and said he had someone who may be interested (marketing ploy I thought). Anyway, today before it hit the open market received an offer at full asking price from the first viewing :-bd
Short rest and possibly a bike related holiday ( :wink: ) before I start again on the next one.
Off to open a beer or two now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:-bd
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

rufus don't forget to leave a forwarding address. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
slarge

Post by slarge »

So I managed to turn a strictly no bikes holiday in Tuscany into a bikes holiday. Whilst strolling through the back streets of Firenze we stumbled across a cycle hire shop with a selection of very nice old steel road bikes. Lots of drooling, a few days of pondering and persauding, and I am now the owner of a very very nice Colnago Master from 1994. It is mint.

https://italiansteelbike.com/colnago-ma ... chorus-8v/

The shop owner is posting it back for me, so I now can't wait to get home!

Yay, here's to Italy, lovely bikes, a willing better half, and wine!
psling

Post by psling »

My, that's a thing of beauty. Nice find (and I can understand why you had to have it!).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well, after several weeks of complete indecision by company management (inebriated party in a brewery comes to mind), today is my last day at work* :-bd . The whole office is closing so it's nothing personal. Just on five years at this place so not a bad innings.

*Actually we are in on Monday but that's just to hand keys and stuff over.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

What you got lined up next Bob?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The missus is off out on the lash and she's even arranged a babysitter so I can go for a ride - now I just need to work out where I'm going and what bike to use for a 3-4 hour window. :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Off up to Mallaig on the train tomorrow morning for a weekend cycling back to Ft William via a bothy or 2. Doing an OBT course organised through my work next week so it's like an extra weeks holiday for free, just have to survive today! :-bd