Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... I'll admit to feeling slightly guilty that my arrow repair was mainly motivated by spite but to keep the cheer going, I'd like to announce that the first Swallow of the year has landed at the Towers this afternoon .... YAY, always a day I look forward to :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Which leads me on to my favourite trick question
“Do swallows fly north or south for summer?”
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dunno, but apparently whichever way they go, they don't land at all on the way? 300km a day too. Amazing.

More importantly, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? :wink:.

Reg 'I am not afraid' Perrin
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The miserable spring weather really held up getting to grips with the garden makeover as the soil was sodden, but yesterday got it finished!! Well at least what was needing done, there will be more excavations come September, and I have a feeling some serious tree pruning may be necessary.

Two beers and in bed by 9.30 tired but happy.

ps. It looks rather nice :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:... I'd like to announce that the first Swallow of the year has landed at the Towers this afternoon .... YAY, always a day I look forward to :-bd
Heard my first cuckoo of the year on Saturday up at Kielder. Not seen any Swallows or Martins yet

Reg - we were headed up to Kielder, one of the UK's dark skies sites. It was clear on Friday night but we didn't see the aurora :cry:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

poor show ride home in the rain but the wifey has ordered a curry take away :-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Next weekends Nog weatehr forecast has some encouraging signs for the WRT going NE...

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just removed this from the bike

This makes me cheery as I've realised how lucky I was to avoid a stem to groin interface on last night's ride when the top tooth failed :smile: perhaps I've eeked just a few too many miles from the drivetrain :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo_simon wrote:poor show ride home in the rain but the wifey has ordered a curry take away :-bd
Feck sake, ordered for collection instead of home delivery. Sat here like numpties waiting for it to be delivered :roll:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

sean_iow wrote:I've just removed this from the bike

This makes me cheery as I've realised how lucky I was to avoid a stem to groin interface on last night's ride when the top tooth failed :smile: perhaps I've eeked just a few too many miles from the drivetrain :lol:
Plenty of live left on that! Just turn it round the other way - there's 2 useable sides to every tooth, well, every tooth that's still there. :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It made quite a crack when it broke the tooth and lurched me forward, i was full power trying to blast up a steep ramp when it went. Called in at a friends on the way home and he thought I had a lucky escape. When his drivetrain failed last year it launched him over the bars and he broke his jaw in the impact :o it was wired shut for 6 weeks and he had 6 months off the bike on doctors order as another break before it healed would of required surgery to put a plate in.

I could snap the broken tooth off and then turn it round, it's a 17t so would it then be a 16t for more top end speed :lol:

Complete new drivetrain of surley cog, kmc z610 chain and absolute black 34t oval is £68 and should arrive tomorrow. I might be in the wrong gear all the time but at least it's cheap one :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Friday again :-bd

Just been given a £6K Wilier road bike to test this weekend, it’s ace :grin: and I beat the rain on the way home!

Curry on its way, so will have starters with mini-voodoo and then send her to bed, so me and Mrs Voodoo can enjoy our mains together (hopefully in peace!).

Party this weekend for mini-voodoo to look forward to with a load tomorrow of 4 year olds :???:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Downer Friday for me as my collection of 400+ punk, ska and eighties records went to a new home. Guitars and amps next. All part of project downsize.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel your pain Dave - hopefully a means to an end and a new chapter blah, blah, blah :wink:
paramart

Post by paramart »

got my new motorbike yesterday, will go and see how many g/lanes are still open, and pee some ramblers off :lol:
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
burty

Post by burty »

It's not s cheary Saturday either, 40 miles into the Jenn ride my shoes fell apart .
Sat at the pub in hawkshead zip clipping the crap out of them to get back,
Still at least I get to splurge on some new ones , so not all bad
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Motorbike walked its MOT today, hasn't been used in a while, pleased with that!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Glass of Sauvignon. Whole bar Green & Black's dark/orange. Undertones on the speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1x3ZDo5NEM. Mrs Perrin tinkering down the garden well out of nag-distance. Marvellous! Easily pleased, me.

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Mrs Perrin tinkering down the garden well
Didn't know you had a well Reg, can Mrs P climb a rope :wink: ?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just finished the string tips on a bow I'm making for someone. She likes the colour purple and horses, so I laminated Purpleheart and Zebra wood together ... zebra was the nearest thing I had to a horse :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Purple Hearts, Zebras,.. I'm going mad :smile:.

"Well" - ayup our Rich. If you remember I mentioned a while ago that there's an incongruous square of concrete in the middle of our otherwise-Victorian-bricked yard. Next to it is a drain. Whenever it rains, eg today copiously, H2O disappears down said drain and presumably into whatever lies under the lump of concrete. I've never plucked up the courage to lift the concrete because there must be a bloody enormous great hole down there which I'd rather not fall into.

(Are you in for this July "The P-Gap" caper or not matey?!? :wink:)

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Had most of the bits for six months or so but actually started working on them today to make a cigar box resonator ukulele. I'm hoping to do lots more in the future and wanting to get proficient at it. :-bd .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, apologies both boring you and for the fact it's actually Saturday but I'm a running late. Anyway, yesterday was cheery because I nearly finished this, just a final oil / polish needed. It's made from Hazel I cut last year from the track heading to the towers with some cow horn nocks and arrow pass. I'm sure you'll agree that what it lacks in natural good looks it makes up with in character. :wink: I have to say, not the easiest thing to make.

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Late to , yesterday spent in a&e after stabbing myself with a pick taking some seals out of a hydraulic ram ,cheery bit only soft tissue damage and no need for a tetnas as going through my history I've either broke or damaged some body part every year so there seems to be more tetnas than blood in my system :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:what it lacks in natural good looks it makes up with in character. :wink
Sorry, I got a bit confused there, are we talking about the lovely bow at this point or the craftsman :-bd :wink: