Backup route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Fozzyuk

Backup route

Post by Fozzyuk »

Hi, Having finally managed to get a week off work, which also worked for the family I've been looking forward to and planning to do the Cairngorms loop next week.

Travelling Sunday and riding Monday to Friday.

Looking at the weather though it's snow all week this week for the cairngorms. I'm worried all my planning is at risk.

I think I'll struggle to pack for a full winter outing and my camping kit / sleeping bag etc would be marginal for snow and blizzards.

Any thought on alternatives in the UK? Based in Halifax Yorkshire. Looking for similar distance so 150 to 200 miles with the biggest views and hills I can get.

Must be a route with GPX etc readily available as I have little time left and I'm away with work this week.

Thanks in advance!
ianfitz

Re: Backup route

Post by ianfitz »

Fozzyuk wrote:Hi, Having finally managed to get a week off work, which also worked for the family I've been looking forward to and planning to do the Cairngorms loop next week.

Travelling Sunday and riding Monday to Friday.

Looking at the weather though it's snow all week this week for the cairngorms. I'm worried all my planning is at risk.

I think I'll struggle to pack for a full winter outing and my camping kit / sleeping bag etc would be marginal for snow and blizzards.

Any thought on alternatives in the UK? Based in Halifax Yorkshire. Looking for similar distance so 150 to 200 miles with the biggest views and hills I can get.

Must be a route with GPX etc readily available as I have little time left and I'm away with work this week.

Thanks in advance!
The Yorkshire Dales 300 starts just down the road at Skipton...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

YD300 as Ian says or maybe the Borders 350
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Fozzyuk

Post by Fozzyuk »

YD300 sounds good but I've ridden quite a bit that way. Anything in Wales? Will look at the borders 350
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Fozzyuk wrote:YD300 sounds good but I've ridden quite a bit that way. Anything in Wales? Will look at the borders 350
I have a GPX of a shortened Borders 350 if your interested, 220 miles. Email me at youngray50ATgmailDOTcom
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

You're not the only one worrying about the weather in the Cairngorms over the next week...

Waiting for better confidence in the forecast for the weekend, but I'm not driving 1000 miles unless it's looking like decent conditions; ended up doing the Capital Trail instead last year, after making the long trip North.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We've had 20C in the Cairngorms already this month and there's been little snow lying all winter. I expect this current lot to clear off PDQ as it's not that much and there's no underlying base for it. Everywhere has also been remarkably dry these past weeks.

In short, I'd not be panicking.
Fozzyuk

Post by Fozzyuk »

@zerodarkbivy I wouldn't mind but last week I was looking at the Webcam pictures and thinking I'd better buy sun cream. I didn't so that's not to blame. Unfortunately I can't move my week off either.
Fozzyuk

Post by Fozzyuk »

Tbh the snow I could cope with as I assume it's not going to be waist deep. It was the -6 temperature which worried me kit wise. Still ill be keeping a close eye all week. As you say early days.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

But it was a tropical -2 when I was driving home this evening....
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

yep - I'm keeping a close eye on the weather too for the group start on saturday. Definitely planning to take a fair amount of kit (more than I was hoping) but still hopeful of an attempt - the shoulder of bynack more is the decision point. If it looks really grim I'll be looking for an alternative, too...
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Just do the HT550 from Tyndrum to Fort Augustus, then back on the return leg from Ft Augustus to Tyndrum over WHW.
Bothy rich, not too exposed, beautiful scenery, gpx, good for supplies and bike spares (wolftrax, Ft Augustus hardware store and bike shop in Ft William).
100% rideable apart from a little bit at the top of Corrieyairich and a little bit at the top of the climb out of Kinlochleven. :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

View from the hoose

I'm still waiting for the skies to clear so I can what the Gorms are like.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Liam, I've sent out the shortened Borders route. Moffat would be a good start point for you as it's just off the M74.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:Just do the HT550 from Tyndrum to Fort Augustus, then back on the return leg from Ft Augustus to Tyndrum over WHW.
Bothy rich, not too exposed, beautiful scenery, gpx, good for supplies and bike spares (wolftrax, Ft Augustus hardware store and bike shop in Ft William).
100% rideable apart from a little bit at the top of Corrieyairich and a little bit at the top of the climb out of Kinlochleven. :-bd
Mark and I rode this (plus the loop over to cannich) last year as a recce. Started at kinlochleven and stayed at Ben alder and corimony bothies.
PJG

Post by PJG »

I'm still undecided - but given the current forecast is for the snow to continue all today, tomorrow and into Thursday, then the Cairngorms Loop group start is looking more and more unlikely for me :cry:

The bike is fully prepped though, so I'll deffo be doing something epic this weekend :smile:

The forecast looks slightly more benign in Northern England:
e.g.
Lakeland 200 - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... /gctvssktt#
YD300 - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... /gcwkvvxz4#
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wow, you really have that much snow?! Wasn't expecting that in late April
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

The lakeland 200 may be a go-er instead of the CL, but I'm not 100% sure about the lakes on a bank holiday.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianpv wrote:The lakeland 200 may be a go-er instead of the CL, but I'm not 100% sure about the lakes on a bank holiday.
Depends on the times you are at particular bits really: hit the Borrowdale BWs in the middle of the afternoon and it will be heaving. Once you get away from the Central Lakes like Borrowdale, Langdale then things are a lot quieter especially out west. I've spent quite a few BH weekends in the Lakes when we've hardly seen a soul.

I've done and supported many times on the Bob Graham Round and even though that traverses many/most of the most popular fells you genuinely don't see that many other people. Usually it's Scafell Pike before you see anyone that isn't doing/supporting a round and that's after 40 miles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

thanks for that Bob - starting in Stavely, I think I'd get to borrowdale very late on the first day.

Any update on the local weather Scotroutes, seems that the low level snow has gone already? ? The more I think about it, the more I think I may go to the lakes instead - harder route, closer, slightly better weather, and something new (rather than doing the CL again)

Ian
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianpv wrote:thanks for that Bob - starting in Stavely, I think I'd get to borrowdale very late on the first day.

Any update on the local weather Scotroutes, seems that the low level snow has gone already? ? The more I think about it, the more I think I may go to the lakes instead - harder route, closer, slightly better weather, and something new (rather than doing the CL again)

Ian
See t'other thread Ian. Still a few patches of snow around (even in my garden) but going fast. I don't think there's enough to affect river levels too much, especially as it's been really dry recently.
PJG

Post by PJG »

I've bailed on the April CL group start now, and will be going in September instead.
It was too far to go to risk having to turn back part way round.

So I'll be doing the Lakes 200 instead - might see you on the way round Ian !