Strange Things You've Carried On Your Bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Strange Things You've Carried On Your Bike

Post by sean_iow »

After a recent trip on my bike I thought we could have a light hearted look at strange things you've carried/transported on your bike. With the ability to carry bivi kit the same luggage can be used for all sorts of things, shopping, spare clothes, commuting kit etc. Here's my strangest to date...

Having been woken in the night by scratching at ceiling level some investigation showed that mice were the likely culprit. I borrowed some traps off my mother but these are the humane sort. There's no point just emptying them out in the garden as they'll just walk back in. The first 'guest' was caught on a Friday night so I took him out in the car on Saturday morning and dropped him off at a roadside hedge about 10 miles from home - I was going somewhere else and didn't make a special trip :smile:

The traps were re-set but there was no more noise for a week or so. Then on a Thursday night I heard scratching and then the sound of the trap tipping. First thing Friday morning I checked the loft again and had caught a second mouse. I had planned to ride to work so didn't want to drive just to drop a mouse off on the way. As my frame bag stays on the mtb nearly all the time I took that instead of the road bike, went the off road way and dropped the mouse off halfway to work - about 3 miles from home.

Luckily nobody saw me! So my strangest is a live mouse. Note elastic band to make sure there were no escape attempts on the way. :lol: what's yours?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
HaYWiRe

Re: Strange Things You've Carried On Your Bike

Post by HaYWiRe »

Not really kit but i once rode the 16 miles to my camp carrying food bungie corded to my handlebars...what food you ask?

2 McDonald's double cheeseburgers, 2 medium fries, 1 quarter pounder, 1 chicken burger, 2 apple pies and a box of 12 chicken nuggets....wasnt all for me but had funny looks regardkess!

One peice of none bikepacking kit i carry often is a rubiks cube, got addicted to speedsolving so its my little camp toy, tied to my saddlebag, worth all 112g!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Either you ride a lot faster than I do or you like eating cold MacDonald's? :smile: I never usually eat in them but on the Braunton I did have a coffee at the one on Minehead seafront.... and some dip things which I only chose as they came with Salsa and it reminded me of the bike manufacturer :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Mark 1 Astra cylinder head.... :???:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have a BOB trailer, so pretty much everything from camping kit to taking the weekly recycling.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

sean_iow wrote:Either you ride a lot faster than I do or you like eating cold MacDonald's? :smile:
They weren't to eat at camp, they were the fuel to get there! In was a long weekend and fuel is fuel :lol: exactly why i keep shock cord on my harness....eat junk on the go!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I used to have a bigdummy so have carried all sorts, large slate hearthstone, three bales of hay, three children ( one was very strange), my wife's bike, five man tent sleeping bags for four, mats + child and a long list of other crap which you normally use a car for :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

A full crate of beers.

My colleagues bought me a present whilst I was commuting by bike. I rattled the whole 12 miles home. Glad I had some paracord in my bag.

Another one is two wooden battens on my first WRT. I used them to support a dry bag on my pannier rack. Luckily I won a saddle bag in the raffle the year after.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've heard of some weirdos who carry gnomes on their bikes. :o
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

sean_iow wrote:...and dropped the mouse off halfway to work - about 3 miles from home.
Mice with jobs! Whatever next? :d
voodoo_simon wrote:Have a BOB trailer, so pretty much everything from camping kit to...
...artillery...
...anti tank rockets...
Image.
You can destroy far more trees than you would with even a really big axe :-bd.
May you always have tail wind.