Panniers...they're back!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Panniers...they're back!

Post by MuddyPete »

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb-gravel-pack/

...or perhaps not, according to the review :???:.
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Panniers...they're back!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After testing their luggage, I concluded that they should probably stick to panniers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Doesn’t the addition of panniers make it not a ‘bikepacking’ setup? You may ask.
Ha .. bag-type-ists : )

1160g a pair plus a rack though :/
If there was a really light rack and mini-panniers for 3kg max load each, I'd buy a set. Higher up for pretty much no bush/rock clearance issues and frees up behind the saddle for steep stuff. 2 weeks ago I was walking down steep steppy sections that I know I could ride w/o a seatpack, but ------cks to taking a dropper post on a ride like that.

A lighter, almost perma-fitted pannier pair and rack set up, that would be good. No fittings to break, light and secure.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hadn't seen those, only the PR micro panniers. They look petty good ..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Next thing will be someone inventing a way of carrying stuff on your back.....
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

If you don't want to take a dropper, why not just have a QR and drop your saddle?
jameso

Post by jameso »

DoctorRad wrote:If you don't want to take a dropper, why not just have a QR and drop your saddle?
I do, but bags can still limit the drop range as well as how easily you can get behind the saddle, thighs can clear a saddle but not so easily clear a seatpack. I ride high-posted mosty of the time anyway so I've not really got used to dropper-enabled riding but quite used to be able to ride steep stuff by not having a really high saddle position to start with and being able to get off the back of the saddle. Was something that was a minor issue on my last trip where there was a lot of do-I-don't-I steep tech in between easier sections, so my saddle was only dropped ~2" or so. At that point you can pedal uphill and ride steeper sections w/o QR faff but the seatpack was annoying.

I got as far as thinking a roll-up 'pannier' that forms more of a dry bag / mini bar roll format, attached each side of a very minimal rack (5kg rated max, Tubus Fly shape) may be good. Out of the way and compressible.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

For not unconnected reasons, along with my aversion to hardtails[*], I've also never got on with dropper posts. I learnt to ride in the old days where we slid off the back of the saddle and waved the saddle around our b-ll-cks to get down steep stuff. I can see that a seatpack would get in the way of that however you drop your post... unless there was some sort of sprung cantilever rack under the bag which meant it pushed down when you sat on it...

[*] I went straight from riding rigid bikes to short-travel suspension, loved the latter and never really bothered with hardtails. After an eight-year riding hiatus, I came back to it after having neurological issues. Upshot is that I can't ride standing up for more than a few minutes, so hardtails and dropper posts don't agree with me.
psling

Post by psling »

All you need is some sort of stay fabrication off the seatstays for a couple of Salsa Anything Bags (other bags are available) with a couple of the same bags on the forks and you're fully kitted up with real bikepackers' panniers front and back!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:After testing their luggage, I concluded that they should probably stick to panniers.
to be fair both my parents have there firt gen bikepacking seat pack and bar bags and really like them... mainly as they have enough stuff to fill them as away for 3 months and have a tent
there kit for there 3 month europ gravel / mountain / vtt trip

my dad in spain somewehere ... showing the ortleb stuff works fine with enough stuff hahaha
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did he have any problems with the orange straps George?
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Did he have any problems with the orange straps George?
not so far , been out with him a couple of times when he has been using it and seems pretty stable to me if you get it all cranked down well , and stays put well etc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

not so far , been out with him a couple of times when he has been using it and seems pretty stable to me if you get it all cranked down well , and stays put well etc
My problem was getting them tight ... even with two of us swinging on them, they'd sometimes refuse to budge.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Metalheart has the Ortlieb stuff and it all seems fine now he's got his packing better. I can't say I've noticed any excess wobbling (well, just his bottom lip).