Fat, medium or thin for the wrt?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: Fat, medium or thin for the wrt?

Post by techno »

macinblack wrote:Genesis Longitude 27.5 - Still with the 2.8 Trailblazers - Might even clean it just for the occasion, maybe.
Snap!
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

MarkW wrote:I was hoping to go rigid b+ having ordered a Shand in Feb. Unfortunately its not going to be ready in time so it's stardard 29er hardtail for me. 2.3"
AlexGold wrote:Hope my CX with 35mm Smart Sams will work, as it's that or the road bike with 23mm slicks!
Rather you than me. You may struggle on some parts of my route.
I'm banking on equal parts fitness, determination and idiocy to get me through....or worst case, find a road!
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Wilkyboy wrote:26-inch full-bounce MTB. Over 20 years old, so not particularly light, but still a lovely bike, even if it looks a bit dated :-bd

2.35 Hans Dampf on the front and 2.10 Nobby Nic on the rear — that's as big as the frame and suspension fork allow. I've no idea if these are good tyres, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough.

Probably 14kg just for the bike, plus 7-8kg of stuff — this will be my first, so I can't even attempt a bit of "TLS". I'll just have to pedal harder ...
UPDATE 23 April — I did a full test-pack and weigh-in this morning and discovered two things —

1. The bike does indeed weight just over 14kg at 14.45kg.
2. The luggage in fact weighs a little more than I thought it would at 10.2kg, but that includes batteries, food for three days, spares, toys, etc.
3. There's also a Camelbak, which weighs about 4kg.

That's three things :roll: I might try a bit of TLS anyway, see whether I can lop off a few kilos, but I doubt I could, as almost everything has a use.

So, including me plus some clothes, all-up weight is in the region of 100kg, give or take.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Lawmanmx wrote:Fat Again ... if i make it this time :???:
mind change, gonna be 29er Plus on the wonderful Wednesday .... bike will easily make it but the body might not, Lol
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Dd a pre wrt bivi over the weekend, took the cross bike with road tyres on, but will use the crosser on the wrt with either 35mm land cruisers on or 40mm Nanos, all up weight this weekend was 54.1 lb for bike and gear
with me aboard ill be about 120 kg :(
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Wilkyboy wrote:
Wilkyboy wrote:26-inch full-bounce MTB. Over 20 years old, so not particularly light, but still a lovely bike, even if it looks a bit dated :-bd

2.35 Hans Dampf on the front and 2.10 Nobby Nic on the rear — that's as big as the frame and suspension fork allow. I've no idea if these are good tyres, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough.

Probably 14kg just for the bike, plus 7-8kg of stuff — this will be my first, so I can't even attempt a bit of "TLS". I'll just have to pedal harder ...
UPDATE 23 April — I did a full test-pack and weigh-in this morning and discovered two things —

1. The bike does indeed weight just over 14kg at 14.45kg.
2. The luggage in fact weighs a little more than I thought it would at 10.2kg, but that includes batteries, food for three days, spares, toys, etc.
3. There's also a Camelbak, which weighs about 4kg.

That's three things :roll: I might try a bit of TLS anyway, see whether I can lop off a few kilos, but I doubt I could, as almost everything has a use.

So, including me plus some clothes, all-up weight is in the region of 100kg, give or take.
Make a list of what you take and when you get back note what you used; what worked; what didn't work; what you didn't use. This should give you an idea to TLS.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry