Slimmed down Fatty for bikepacking funness

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Slimmed down Fatty for bikepacking funness

Post by TheBrownDog »

Aaaaaaaand here she is. For £180 Ive gone and built some 650B+ wheels for my beloved OO Fatty. Ive not built a wheel since my mechanics course 4 years ago, and seeing how they went together with hardly a harsh word and nary a scarred knuckle, and they are actually round, I am ridiculously pleased with myself.

Before and after pix below for your edification. Ive fit the discs and cassette since the pix were taken and my usual test ride of up and down the street and off the gutters a few times resulted in nothing untoward. I know its still not a light bike but it feels far lighter and rather playful compared with the full fat wheels. Cant wait to get it on some dirt.

The big question: do I dare take this bike on a set of wheels built by an idiot from second hand and cheap bits bought from all over the interweb on tomorrow nights Chilterns Spring Thing with Reg and Rich. Probably not.

I'm just going outside ...
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Slimmed down Fatty for bikepacking funness

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Looks good - are the wheels much the same diameter?
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Slightly smaller going by the knots in the wood on the fence :grin:

I'm just building some for mine too, looking forward to seeing the results...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

It's a smidge smaller. Just a smidge.

I tried some of the 29er wheels that OO made - the FatNotFat ones. I didnt like them at the time - the bike seemed taller and really twitchy - so I sold them on, but wish Id ket them now.

Oh and yes, I know that front mud guard is on backwards. It might look odd but it actually works that way.
I'm just going outside ...