Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Adventure/Gravel/Cyclocross bike choices for bikepacking

Post by johnnystorm »

Bish Bash Bosh 500 quid....
ootini

Post by ootini »

I notice that no one has mentioned the Sonder Camino or the Genesis Vagabond as yet... Any reason for this? They were the two bikes I was originally looking at when I was considering an "adventure" bike.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

ootini wrote:I notice that no one has mentioned the Sonder Camino or the Genesis Vagabond as yet... Any reason for this? They were the two bikes I was originally looking at when I was considering an "adventure" bike.
The Vagabond weighs a ton and considering the budget then look elsewhere. No point spanking your money up on a titanium spork/pots/gas cooker if you are riding a bloater in the first place... :wink:

£2K will get you a lot nicer bike than a Vagabond. Having said that, if you only have £1k to spend then its a great bike to ride :-bd

Sonder Camino.... no opinion never seen one in the flesh.
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I've got a vagabond, as said before, a bit weighty, but it never ceases to put a smile on my face.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

robsmuddygloves wrote:I've got a vagabond, as said before, a bit weighty, but it never ceases to put a smile on my face.
Completely agree.. but would you say get one if you had £2000 to spend?
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

If it wasn't my money, course not :wink: . The thing is, each individual's experience on a bike differs hugely, probably best to get out there and try some different bikes. :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

The thing is, each individual's experience on a bike differs hugely, probably best to get out there and try some different bikes. :-bd

best thing ever trying new bikes.
i bought what i thought was the perfect bike for me and what i do ridewise now, a Jones+. turns out it was not the bike i thought it would be.
now back on a larger frame rigid ogre, and it feels loads better than the Jones.
spending more on a bike does not always mean it is a better bike. :cool: :cool:
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

ton wrote:

spending more on a bike does not always mean it is a better bike. :cool: :cool:
100% agree... that's why I am on a £500 On-One inbred :-bd
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

That Cannondale above with the lefty fork would struggle with a bar harness, non?

I've recently got a Planet X Full Monty, only used it for a couple of loaded trips so far, but liking it lots...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I'd have said fitted and adjusted correctly the 'Dale would be fine
With a bar harness....
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Thanks for all your advise, and also in the carbon/titanium thread.

The other half has given the go ahead so I pushed my limit above £2000 and got an ok :shock:

The bike that in now top of my list is the Alpkit Camino Ti SRAM Force 1

There are a number of reason why I like this bike, but it's also not about the bike (didn't someone famous once say that?).

But I phoned Alpkit to ask lots of technical related questions and about Dynamo fitting. Well they gave my confidence that they knew something about bikes.
I won't mention the other company I rang that I was also considering getting a bike from, but when I asked about fitting a hub Dynamo they said did I want that for the rear wheel. That put me off straight away and after asking a few more questions, I felt I was talking to some outsourced phone answer service rather than a shop that sells bikes.

I'm having a couple of things changed on the bike to suit the riding I do.

The only thing I am not 100% sure about and value your opinions, is to stay with the stock 700c orbit wheel set or have the volution road plus wheelset?

Which wheelset might you choose? Also is there a decent choice of bikepacking type tyres to fit onto these volution road plus wheelset? Can you get other tyres than those WTB horizons?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's all kinds of interesting Gravel+® tyres once you begin to look although many are actually mountain bike tyres. I ran 2" Maxxis Re-fuse tyres on my Arkose at last years TN and they were brilliant. I've also run 2.1" VeeTire CX tyres too ... clearance was tight but adequate.

If it were my money, I'd certainly go 650b.
May the bridges you burn light your way