Adventure/Gravel/Cyclocross bike choices for bikepacking use

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Adventure/Gravel/Cyclocross bike choices for bikepacking use

Post by Adventurer »

I'm about to finish my car finance this month and it's going to be an excuse to convince my wife that I 'really need' to buy another bike.

I am looking for a adventure/gravel/cyclocross type bike for bikepacking which will be used for roads, tracks, forest fire roads etc.

I was thinking about a geared hub but the choices are limited so looking for one with a 1 x gear set which I can change the gear ratios in the future if I need.

It would also be good if I can upgrade in the future to a 650b wheel set to take wider tyres, also with discs,

I would probably be looking for a off the shelf bike as my maximum is probably £2000 and will be using part 0% finance, unless you know any sites that do 0% on build your own bikes.

Looked at Evans Arkose 4, Alpkit transmitter, surly straggler, on one bishbashbosh

Anyone have any experience of these bikes/what would you choose, or other suggestions.

The more I keep looking the more indecisive I'm becoming.

Thanks
benp1

Re: Adventure/Gravel/Cyclocross bike choices for bikepacking

Post by benp1 »

I have a Pinnacle Arkose 2, which I really like. Set up 1x10 on a bar end shifter and proper hydros

But, with a £2k budget I'd be looking at bikes that were a bit more special. Niner RLT maybe? Upping it a bit more and something from Shand? Cannondale Slate? Something from Mason or Open?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm going to say Arkose. Mine's an older model that I pieced together a few years ago - rides very well, especially good with 2" 650b tyres / wheels but not bad with 700c x 40c either. Takes some beating in the VFM stakes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm going to say Arkose. Mine's an older model that I pieced together a few years ago - rides very well, especially good with 2" 650b tyres / wheels but not bad with 700c x 40c either. Takes some beating in the VFM stakes.
The arkose is winning for me at the moment but I just wish they would allow you to change certain aspects of the bike build. I would like it to have 650b wheels from the start. Or if they allowed you to swap to wheels of your choice and just pay the bit extra.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The arkose is winning for me at the moment but I just wish they would allow you to change certain aspects of the bike build. I would like it to have 650b wheels from the start. Or if they allowed you to swap to wheels of your choice and just pay the bit extra.
Could you not just buy one and sell the standard wheels, everything bar tyres will swap straight over or build one from a frame? Either way, it'd come in well under maximum budget.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Could you not just buy one and sell the standard wheels, everything bar tyres will swap straight over or build one from a frame? Either way, it'd come in well under maximum budget.

I could build from a frame but can you still get finance on parts rather that a complete bike. Not sure if Evans do frame only option.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not sure if Evans do frame only option.
You can buy an Arkose F&F but I wouldn't know about finance on parts.

https://www.evanscycles.com/components/ ... acle-brand

Not sure what the real world difference is between a 2, 3 and 4 apart from colour and fifty quid :wink:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

voodoo_simon wrote:As suggested above and below budget

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/P ... d13da8c706
It's a clever bike, but I thought the rear tyre clearance was quite tight. If you are limited to 40c on 650b, how is that any better than the 26x2.1 tyres everybody laughs at now?

The Salsa cutthroat looks like a contender, especially if speed is a consideration or you are carrying a lot of gear, although, like Open, not a £2k build.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I really want(ed) a cutthroat but the cost ended up quite prohibitive, plus I couldn't find anyone who actually had one!!
I think 2k may just get you a frameset if you could find one :cry:
Scud

Post by Scud »

In the usual recommend what you have, i love my Salsa Fargo, old version and well worn, which has just had a fresh powdercoat. Not as light as many of the "gravel bikes" above, but takes a true 29er tyre, you'll feel a lot less beaten up and is a lot more stable when covered in bikepacking gear.

I know that quite a few if who have ridden both Cutthroat and Fargo, state the Cutthroat is an ace race bike, but the Fargo has the all day comfort and latest one takes 27.5+ tyres.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Gari wrote:I really want(ed) a cutthroat but the cost ended up quite prohibitive, plus I couldn't find anyone who actually had one!!
I think 2k may just get you a frameset if you could find one :cry:
I have one.

Oh wait...you mean to buy don't you? Yeah.... not so easy. I do know of two people who've secured one for this year though.

Time for the obligatory bike picture:

ImageDSC00349.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

Name that motel Dividers.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I need a small rather than a large too. I have a friend with a brother in the US, who visits several times a year, seriously considered getting him to bring a frameset over for me. Main problem is as I can't find any, I can't try one for size, which at 2k I don't fancy a " punt"!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It sounds like Shona and Rich at Keep Pedalling have put a few Cutthroats together recently - all heading for the TD I believe.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

On my second arkose now , only changed the frame as didnt like the grey of the original bike !
great for the money and id recommend to anyone
I'd buy a frame and spec to suit your needs if thats what you want
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Another thumbs up for the Arkose, mine looks like the one above so I'll not bother posting a pic!

Arkose X for £900 Looks brill. I've got 32c gravel king slicks on the original wheels and some alpkit orbit wheels with 40c nanos on. Would leave loads spare in the budget.

Mason Bokeh looks lovely but far pricier, Orro Terra also looks nice and somewhere inbetween price wise.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Oh, and Raleigh do the full carbon roker for £2k and 0% for 2 years if you buy direct and that takes 45c tyres iirc and gets great reviews. If you know someone with a school/academic email they can sign up to Unidays and get a Raleigh 10% off code.....
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

johnnystorm wrote:Oh, and Raleigh do the full carbon roker for £2k and 0% for 2 years if you buy direct and that takes 45c tyres iirc and gets great reviews. If you know someone with a school/academic email they can sign up to Unidays and get a Raleigh 10% off code.....

I've just had a look, looks interesting and it does get good reviews, especially over in America.

And the other thing is, I am a very mature uni student and I also have Unidays and it's not 10% off it looks like it's 20% off :shock:

I don't know what do do now? :|

It's looking like a serious contender. Good reviews from gravel community, Carbon frame, tubeless ready rims with quite decent tyre clearance

And £400 off !!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Adventurer on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Adventurer wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Oh, and Raleigh do the full carbon roker for £2k and 0% for 2 years if you buy direct and that takes 45c tyres iirc and gets great reviews. If you know someone with a school/academic email they can sign up to Unidays and get a Raleigh 10% off code.....

I've just had a look, looks interesting and it does get good reviews, especially over in America.

And the other thing is, I am a very mature uni student and I also have Unidays and it's not 10% off it looks like it's 20% off :shock:

It's looking like a serious contender. Good reviews from gravel community, Carbon frame, tubeless ready rims with quite decent tyre clearance and £200 off.
Get it bought then! :mrgreen:
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

johnnystorm wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

It's looking like a serious contender. Good reviews from gravel community, Carbon frame, tubeless ready rims with quite decent tyre clearance and £200 off.
Get it bought then! :mrgreen:
I wrote £200 actually it's £400 off, I'm thick.

It says coming soon on their site can't order one yet.

So first get car paid for, 2nd, be extra nice to wife to allow me to spend my own money :grin:
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Singular kite
Stans rims
Hope hubs
105 group
Hydraulic brakes
Do they still make a 105 triple?
If so get that.
Genetic bars
Thompson to finish.
Saddle and pedals of your choice.
:-bd
Grubby little urchin.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

For my adventure/gravel/cx bike I have a Cannondale CAADX. Brakes have been swapped for TRP calipers and tyres changed to Clement Xplor 40mm. It all works well is a decent ride.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Was looking at the Raleigh bike but only shows coming soon on their web site but it looks like the don't actually do it anymore.

Tried to contact then but they can seem to be bothered to reply. Which is a big turn off for me for any company that I intend to spend my money with.

So I'm now looking at one one carbon frame or maybe Alpkit Camino. (Maybe the Ti frame) anyone got either?

I would rather have 1x setup over 2x or 3x most other cx/adventure bikes seem to have 2x which I would would want to change.