Another gear query !!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Another gear query !!!

Post by chambo82 »

Hi all again ! Pretty much sorted for gear for our trip in May now thankfully , just few bits left for everyone's opinion please if possible -

Self inflating / blow up sleeping mat , what's the general feeling on best bang for buck?

Sachet food, thinking of getting dried/dehydrated packets for ease of packing etc , anyone used these before ? Which are recommended ?

Thanks again guys

Cheers
whitestone

Re: Another gear query !!!

Post by whitestone »

Do you want an insulating or non-insulating mat?

If the former, then the standard answers are the Exped Synmats and the Thermarest NeoAirs.

Can't help with the food sachets.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Big difference between self inflating mat and air mat. Do you have a budget and as Bob says, do you want something insulated for year round use or something suitable for the warmer month of the year?

Usually avoid dehydrated sachet food but if pushed, I've generally found Mountain House okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Forgot prices:

Uninsulated inflatable mats from £20 to £70, insulated mats £80 upwards.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Okey dokey that's fair enough , 1 of the other guys has just got an air mat from alpkit , think its called Numo , it's for a 4 night trip in Cairngorms in last week of May , have tent aswell , not sure whether insulated would make enough of a difference for the price ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My all-year-round mat for Scotland is a Synmat UL7. That has a little insulation in it. That would be more than fine for the Cairngorms in May.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Splendid will look that up and get 1 ordered !! Thanks buddy.

Has anyone used food sachets called Wayfarer ? 1 of the other guys has seen them and said they are boil in the bag so don't need water adding?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone used food sachets called Wayfarer ? 1 of the other guys has seen them and said they are boil in the bag so don't need water adding?
You're in Scotland ... where's the hardship in finding water? :wink: Really doesn't make any sense to carry wet hydrated food about when you're surrounded by water. Not only is boil in the bag waaay heavier than dehydrated and packs bigger but it will likely also require;

A larger pot - you'll need to fit the pouch in it.
Use more fuel - it's boil in the bag so will require boiling for a few minutes.
Will probably need you to have a bigger stove - due to the bigger pot and requirement for longer boil times.

Colins suggestion of a Synmat is a fine one. Personally, I wouldn't want an uninsulated mat like a numo in Scotland in May.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Yeh that was my thinking on the food sachets which is why I will be getting the dehydrated version :grin: Was just wondering if anyone had used the 'wet' sachets that's all as my mate has asked the question, ive tried spelling out the water and weight downsides but it seems to be falling on deaf ears at the minute :roll:

Will definitely look at getting the Synmat I think, thanks for the advice chaps
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was just wondering if anyone had used the 'wet' sachets that's all as my mate has asked the question
I've tasted some and they taste okay. There's the benefit that they can be eaten cold in need be - but that's not something I'd really fancy :wink:
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

No that's fine that's exactly my thoughts buddy !!

Thanks again
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Purely as a convenience thing, rehydrate-in-the-bag meals mean less washing up. Boil water, pour into bag, stir. While you're waiting (you've made a nice cosy for keeping it warm, aye?) you can put more water on for a tea/coffee. One pot/kettle/mug is then sufficient.

Brand wise, I quite like the Adventure Food range. I've also just ordered a taster pack from Firepot to see what they're like.

As regards your Cairngorms trip, I might be able to provide some up-to-date beta prior to departure as I'm in the area.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Scotroutes that would be great RE an update on weather,route data week before maybe would be perfect !! Cheers !

Will have a look at the food sachets and see which look best, we have a local 'recce' trip planned for couple weeks time so will get a couple of different brands of food I think and try before we commit

Cheers
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

A contrarian view.
How long are you going for and what is the longest period you will have to go without access to hot food and supplies?
Not a criticism as nothing beats pre planning but it might be possible to travel lighter and longer without three square meals a day and not turn it into a trial of endurance. As long as you have something to chew on and water to drink morning and evening that’s all you need until you can access hot food and drink and if that’s once or twice a day so much the better.
BaseCamp is showing no food and drink between Braemar to Blair approx. 60 km but I haven’t done any in depth research. The rest of the route appears to have access to food and supplies at intervals. That means you could ditch the stoves and cookwear and just carry emergency supplies as a back up. The clever bit is timing your trip to coincide with opening times. Get delayed with a mechanical or puncture and timings will go off.
Just a thought.

Oh and Synmat Hyperlite with a Sea to Summit Aeros pillow for a bit of comfort and dont forget a Schnozzle.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Thanks for the reply Mariner :-)

The trip is a charity ride and we are planning on 4 nights away all being well, obviously assuming all goes to plan !! May well take a few sachets then as back up maybe and still take the stove for tea/coffee making AM and PM.

Cheers
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mariner is right in that you can eat at the various towns and villages en route, but that requires a bit of timing and supposes you don't actually enjoy sitting around at your pitch, eating and drinking. With 4 days to cover the route I don't suppose you're in a massive rush.

You could just take a couple of dehydrated meals as options and buy each nights food as you go - but you're then in to the pot washing thing again.

Are you doing the double-loop or just the outer?

Edit: ah - you're doing 180 miles. at around 45 miles per day you should have loads of time :wink:
chambo82

Post by chambo82 »

Yeh doing the double loop , and 2 of us are singlespeed , was trying to be as 'self supporting' as possible hence the food sachets but if we can get hot meal here or there we certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity !! :smile:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Nor air x therm. Brilliant warm and light, not too expensive.

Look at the MX3 range of foods. They have some of the biggest bang for you buck in terms of g/kcal.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Food is easy

Go to supermarket, Buy Pot Noodle Bombay Bad boy, take out off plastic pot and put in plastic freezer bag. :-bd

Cheap, easy and when hungry tastes good*! :-bd

* well its alright, but its cheap