Bar Advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Bar Advice

Post by dlovett »

So I have been using my Jones 710 Loop bars for a year or so now and love them. If I ride my other bikes now, flat bars seem very weird and its only the road bike drop bars that vaguely feel as comfortable.

Is there anything on the market that will have angles similar to a jones bar but is drop/cx bike style?

I have seen the Salsa cow/woo chipper bars, the Alpkit Bombers and the Genetic Flare bars, but I have no idea if the flare bits are going to feel like riding with the jones.

Also what width is recommend to allow a harness and standard front bag setup to be used?

Any advice gratefully received.
Chew

Re: Bar Advice

Post by Chew »

When you ride drop bars where do your hands spend the majority of the time?

For me its:
10% on the flat bars
30% on the corners
50% on the hoods
10% on the drops

I've had a look/try with various type of bars and they were either too narrow or wouldnt work whilst on the hoods.

May be worth a trip to Charlies to hold a few different pairs in your hands?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Chew wrote:When you ride drop bars where do your hands spend the majority of the time?

For me its:
10% on the flat bars
30% on the corners
50% on the hoods
10% on the drops

I've had a look/try with various type of bars and they were either too narrow or wouldnt work whilst on the hoods.

May be worth a trip to Charlies to hold a few different pairs in your hands?
I would say about the same as your list when I am on the road bike. I would like to find something with an outward flare like the jones have as that's so comfortable.

So far the list is wood/cowchippers, onone, alpkit bombers and Genetic Digest/Flares.

Just need to find some people who have some of these to try and see what feels right I guess.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Stooge moto fitted upside down? :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Lawmanmx wrote:Stooge moto fitted upside down? :-bd

Cheers will look them up
SRS

Post by SRS »

If you want to try some Midge bars, I have a set in black that you are welcome to for the cost of postage.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

SRS wrote:If you want to try some Midge bars, I have a set in black that you are welcome to for the cost of postage.

I read that as "for the cost of porage" :oops:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

SRS wrote:If you want to try some Midge bars, I have a set in black that you are welcome to for the cost of postage.
That would be ace, Thanks so much. I'll pm you directly.

d
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote:

I read that as "for the cost of porage" :oops:
I'd rather the postage costs, some of that organic porridge is very expensive these days!
Scud

Post by Scud »

I have these on Fargo (purely because i wanted silver which they did) and have found them really good.

I found Midge bars and the Alpkit ones had to tighter bend and very little actual space for my large hands on the drops at all.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... black.html
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ok so thanks to Simon I have some midge bars coming.

I have a full sora 9spd group set and a full 105 10 spd set. However the frame is 34.9 top pull front mech and the sora is 31.4 bottom pull and the 105 mech is 34.9 but bottom pull. Had anybody seen a 9 or 10 top pull road mech in 34.9?

The sora chain rings are 50/34 with a 12/26 cassette but with the 10 spd I could use some old 10 spd MTB rings 34/42 and and 11-36 cassette. What sizes are a good starting point? It will mainly be ridden locally on roads, but I would like to be able to take it off road.

Many thanks.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Many thanks Simon, the bars have arrive all ok.

Cheers
D