Tubeless Woes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Tubeless Woes

Post by Mart »

OK so i like running tubeless and when I've managed to get the tyre so seat it been good
BUT lately - I've been struggling and could give Mr Barter a run for his money in sweary language

What do I have to do to get Tyres to seat?
Got tyres that have been set up ok in the past but i just can't do it now (nobby nics on Stans rims (Old Flows or new arch)

I've now tried every trick i know
- Both proper Stans rim tape and Gorilla all applied in different thickness
- Pre stretching new tyres for a few days before whipping the tube out
- Just breaking one bead when trying
- always remove the valve core before trying to inflate to get air in faster
- soapy water to let the tyre slip

It's just not happening for me - I did think it might be the volume of air, with a new track pump not quite having the capacity (always worked before just with my track pump no problem).

Suggestions welcome before i go and spend £££ on an airshot. Anyone else used them? Any good reports?? My reckoning was that this might give me more rapid air and more volume.
2924 miles per Gallon
99percentchimp

Re: Tubeless Woes

Post by 99percentchimp »

Old inner tube round the outside of the tyre worked for me after lots of similar sweary action.... so on the middle of the tyre kind of compressing the face of the tyre onto the rim then let fly with the ghetto tubeless pressure bottle :-)
Once mine was up it stayed up thank god!
Used a mates track pump/pressure bottle thing too but I can't remember the name (bit like an Airshot I think) - now returned to owner but I could check - think it was cheaper than an Airshot.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chew

Post by Chew »

At what point are you struggling?

Is it the initial seating of the tyre or getting them stay inflated?

If its the former, is the tyre snug on your rim?
Yes, try some soapy water around the bead to help the tyre move on the rim and increase the seal.

If its the latter, you'll need to find the leak.
Put it in the bath an see where its leaking from.
My Rumpus rims where a pain (leaking on the weld), but went up eventually.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I looked at airshots but went with a bonti flashcharger as they where on special one day in the lbs. its great pump and seats fat tyres fine as well as skinny tubeless tyres.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

On one particularly difficult setup I had reduced myself to a sweaty heap pumping away (stop sniggering at the back) In desperation i gaffer taped the tyre to the rim, worked a treat. I removed the tape after setup... :-bd
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Have you tried filling the tyre with stans and then using a tube. Leave it inflated for a few days and then the stans should 'glue' the tyre to the rim. Carefully break the seal on one side and get the tube out.

Then, try to pull the unsealed side back toward the edge of the rim and once you have done that, use duct tape on the outside to try and seal the tyre to the rim. The aim is just to try and bstop some of the ar escaping. It should then inflate pretty easily and the unstuck side should pop back on the the rim. Remove the duct tape and top up the stans through the valve.

Job done.

quote="Mart"]OK so i like running tubeless and when I've managed to get the tyre so seat it been good
BUT lately - I've been struggling and could give Mr Barter a run for his money in sweary language

What do I have to do to get Tyres to seat?
Got tyres that have been set up ok in the past but i just can't do it now (nobby nics on Stans rims (Old Flows or new arch)

I've now tried every trick i know
- Both proper Stans rim tape and Gorilla all applied in different thickness
- Pre stretching new tyres for a few days before whipping the tube out
- Just breaking one bead when trying
- always remove the valve core before trying to inflate to get air in faster
- soapy water to let the tyre slip

It's just not happening for me - I did think it might be the volume of air, with a new track pump not quite having the capacity (always worked before just with my track pump no problem).

Suggestions welcome before i go and spend £££ on an airshot. Anyone else used them? Any good reports?? My reckoning was that this might give me more rapid air and more volume.[/quote]
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

BigdummySteve wrote:On one particularly difficult setup I had reduced myself to a sweaty heap pumping away (stop sniggering at the back) In desperation i gaffer taped the tyre to the rim, worked a treat. I removed the tape after setup... :-bd
I've failed in the past even with a compressor due to the volume of air escaping under the bead, even despite building up the well in the rim with a strip of foam. Your taping technique would of stopped that, what a genius idea :grin: I'm going to retry with tape on a wheel/tyre combination I'd given up on and fitted tubes.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mart

Post by Mart »

Chew wrote:At what point are you struggling?

Is it the initial seating of the tyre or getting them stay inflated .

It's the initial seating. Tyre struggles to move out to the rim wall
Yes i've tried wash liquid will little success :-(
2924 miles per Gallon
burty

Post by burty »

I used to have trouble until I stopped using soapy liquid around the rim.
then the tyre seemed to grip better with the initial rush of air and not slip back.
I now use a ghetto pop bottle pump whilst covering my ears and looking the other way , :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

Generally it goes something like this

- couple of days with a tube in to stretch tyre
- break bead on one side and carefully remove tube
- Install valve with core removed
- Attach track pump and get busy
- pump like a madman swear a lot
- remove valve and re-install tube
- inflate tube, and go and sulk for a few hrs with a mug of tea

Never thought about Gaffa tape, sounds interesting do Where do you put it across ... from outside of rim to tyre wall?
2924 miles per Gallon
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Borrow a compressor. I've had no trouble at all when using mine, and it really is laughably easy to seat tyres with one.

Anywhere near Edinburgh?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's definitely a bit of a technique involved in getting the bead to pop out of the well properly. Usually, I have the valve at the top and press the tyre onto the rim with one hand whilst pumping furiously with the other. This seems to get the process started and then it just pops into the rim all round. So far, I've always managed with just a normal track pump.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I ended up buying an Airshot because of an X-King. Worked perfectly.

That said, some tyres just wont work tubeless. I always tend to go for the tubeless compatible ones to reduce the chances of failure.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

I have managed to seat my tubeless tyres using a CO2 inflator system. This is cheaper than a special pump - in the short term at least.

Is it true the CO2 degrades the sealant - anyone?
Mart

Post by Mart »

AlasdairMc wrote: Anywhere near Edinburgh?
Unfortunately not Im midlands based but thank you. maybe need to get my birthday list updated
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

simon72 wrote: Is it true the CO2 degrades the sealant - anyone?
I believe it does, but no actual experience, only what I've read.
2924 miles per Gallon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I think the CO2 causes the stans to create one big stanimal so basically makes it useless
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

While we are in the area of contaminating Stans I had an unfortunate accident with a Gel Tab thingy the other day
which means my BB Jersey will need its annual wash sooner than planned.
This led me to wondering if the gel could be used for seating tyres or even that hand cleanser gel that we all(?) carry?
I ride tubed so no chance to try it but the thought of dual use seemed appealing. :geek:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote:I think the CO2 causes the stans to create one big stanimal so basically makes it useless
Yeah, I've always ended up with stanimals when I've used it. I wouldn't say useless, but it definitely makes it less effective.
paramart

Post by paramart »

mart just bring your wheels and valves and stans giz and we can use the compressor, iv,e never had any probs with any size tyres and all I use is electrical insulation tape apart from my fatbike which has a tube and 2 wraps of ins tape each side of the tube :roll:
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Will do :smile:
2924 miles per Gallon