Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Post by voodoo_simon »

Aren't they just extreme Audaxers? Perhaps the original bikepacking cyclists?

Think the RAAM is a bad example, don't they have team support?

Not sure why people are surprised that roadies like this event but don't want to go bikepacking. I would imagine there are a lot of people who have watched Le Tour but never cycled in France, so can't see the relevance of this argument.

Road riding is in no way harder or easier than off road cycling, all about the individual and what they set out to achieve

Either way, it's all good. The more people on bikes, the better it is in my eyes :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

RAAM's just an example of how long ultra-distance road racing has been known about in cycling. There was the Iditabike in the late 80s and we knew about RAAM back then, but I'm not sure there was much else like that in off-road riding until John Stamstad cam along?

The overlanding thing's cool, I like how Jesse seems to be promoting the event as a return to that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone interested in finding out more about the Aussie love of cycling long distances in times gone, might like to get themselves a copy of, The Bicycle and the bush ... and no, it's not a follow on from BC advice to their women team members before you ask).

May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Or maybe it's because many mountain bikers are lost in a world of trail centres, pretend 'duro and fizzy energy drinks, whereas road cyclists generally tend to ride their bikes from A to B, so have a deeper connection / understanding to / of the road based events?
Maybe in the UK, but not in the Alps. We do 'duro stuff and energy drinks on hiking trails from A to B.
jameso wrote: Could also say that a light-loaded road bike still feels like a road bike to ride, just a bit heavier. But a loaded mountain bike, it's not the same to ride. Yes you go places and it's amazing, but you can't really ride in the same exuberant way if that's something you like about mountain biking. In some ways that's a 'score one' to road/gravel-packing.
Works for me and my girlfriend/mates. Key is not to put all or most gear on the bike but instead get all or most of the gear on your back, so the bike stays light and nimble. I use an extremely lightweight framebag and put only light but bulky stuff inside. I've ridden many really difficult trails on a long travel bike and loved it. Still do. And it gets really wild too.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

voodoo_simon wrote: Not sure why people are surprised that roadies like this event but don't want to go bikepacking. I would imagine there are a lot of people who have watched Le Tour but never cycled in France, so can't see the relevance of this argument.
The roadies I know who mentioned the event to me are actually off to France riding next month and we have been to watch the Tour before. When they talk about the Pacific Wheel they were talking about the bikes and daily mileages but never mention the self supported bit or where riders sleep as if this was just something that happens between days and didn't seem to understand that this and the strategy for sleeping etc. Is also a big part of the event. They were only intetsted in the riding which might be why they're not interested in biving which is a shame as they missing out on all the fun :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Chew

Post by Chew »

sean_iow wrote:They were only intetsted in the riding which might be why they're not interested in biving which is a shame as they missing out on all the fun
That comes back to the old adage of do you:
Ride to Camp - The purpose of your trip is to sleep out for the night
Camp to Ride - You're riding a long way and every now and again you'll need a snooze
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

and our own HT550 which have a somewhat more parochial interest
I think there are about 15 different nationalities in the 2017 edition .... :ugeek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote:
and our own HT550 which have a somewhat more parochial interest
I think there are about 15 different nationalities in the 2017 edition .... :ugeek:
Alan will be letting bloody Yorkshiremen (and women) start next :lol:

Just looking at the current positions on the IPWR and Kristoff Allegaert and Mike Hall have done 1100Km in less than 48hrs :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Mike and Kristof are clearly off the front now, Kristof is definitely riding faster but Mike seems to be sleeping less, which strategy will win out?

Must be bizarre to be 100km behind someone on what seems like a perfectly straight, slightly downhill road. Does anyone here have any experience of that scale of road? What's it like, I'm fascinated?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ben98 wrote:Mike and Kristof are clearly off the front now, Kristof is definitely riding faster but Mike seems to be sleeping less, which strategy will win out?
I wouldnt be writing off any of the others yet.
Yes Kristof and Mike have a bit of a lead, but there are a good 6 people who are only ~100k behind. Over the next 4300k this is nothing.

(If you click the statistics drop down you can see the distances covered)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

The weather looks grim. :(

Still 600Km in a day
Chew

Post by Chew »

Morning Leaderboard (UK):
1. Kristof
2. Mike +61k
3. Adam Hunter +165k

In 90 miles turn right
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

My feeling is Mike Hall is not comfortable... in the videos he just doesn't look as settled as usual. Might be the pressure of having a faster man out front.

The deeper they get into it the better i expect Mike to fare as Kristof has to rest more.... I wouldn't bet a penny of my hard earned on it though.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mbnut wrote:My feeling is Mike Hall is not comfortable... in the videos he just doesn't look as settled as usual. Might be the pressure of having a faster man out front
Your feeling is right, Mike has already stated that he isn't comfortable on the bike and that he's experienced numbness in one of his legs on day one
Chew

Post by Chew »

voodoo_simon wrote:Your feeling is right, Mike has already stated that he isn't comfortable on the bike and that he's experienced numbness in one of his legs on day one
I think thats been a bit of a mistake on Mikes part.

For whatever reason, he's taken a brand new bike out there. We all know it can take a lot of time to adjust a bike so it becomes comfortable for long days in the saddle, which has more than likely contributed to problems on the first day.

Kristof on the other hand has brought the bike that hes ridden thousands of km.

The gap does seem to have stabilised (accounting for tracker updates)
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Kristof has stopped at the WA/SA border for a sleep, Mike is 60km back and still rolling. Looks like they will probably see each other this morning unless Kristof is only stopping for a couple of hours.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I'm not used to the mapprogress site yet - finding it a bit harder to use than trackleaders.

I tried to get a leaderboard by sorting the rider list by "distance overall via route" which seems to kind of work apart from it has Nathan Jones in 3rd although from the map it looks like he's way back in about 20th.

What am I doing wrong?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

NewRetroTom wrote:I'm not used to the mapprogress site yet - finding it a bit harder to use than trackleaders.

I tried to get a leaderboard by sorting the rider list by "distance overall via route" which seems to kind of work apart from it has Nathan Jones in 3rd although from the map it looks like he's way back in about 20th.

What am I doing wrong?
I get that for him as well. Not sure, probably a glitch in the matrix :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

NewRetroTom wrote:Kristof has stopped at the WA/SA border for a sleep, Mike is 60km back and still rolling. Looks like they will probably see each other this morning unless Kristof is only stopping for a couple of hours.
Believe thats at one of the road houses.
May be waiting for it to open in the morning to re-supply

:geek: They're all ~200k apart as that was the typical fuel range of vehicles when the road was originally built
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

They should make Adelaide for Friday at this rate!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Donnacha back in 5th has previous experience at RAAM and a few other supported ULD races. Will be interesting to see how he fairs. He also has a habit of exploding...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Mbnut wrote:My feeling is Mike Hall is not comfortable... in the videos he just doesn't look as settled as usual. Might be the pressure of having a faster man out front
Your feeling is right, Mike has already stated that he isn't comfortable on the bike and that he's experienced numbness in one of his legs on day one
He's also tweeted today - forget what I said yesterday...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mike has not moved for the last few hours and Kristof is pulling away now
Chew

Post by Chew »

Morning Leaderboard (UK):
1. Kristof
2. Mike +114k
3. Seb Dune +41k
4. Adam Hunter +19k
5. Sarah Hammond +56k

Long stop for Mike overnight has dropped him back. Was expecting a greater spread down the pack, but the Ozzie's are keeping them honest.

Kristoff is averaging 22.4kph including stops. I'd be happy with that as moving on an Audax :shock:

Post Nullarbor Selfie
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks like Mike stepped on the gas.