New 29er fork?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

New 29er fork?

Post by gairym »

Following on from my recent enquiry into what steel 29er frame I should invest in I've got another question.....

I've not been inspired to throw my money at anything and so am thinking that I'll just keep my Lurcher and get a bouncy fork for it.

So.....I'm thinking of a few options with a few criteria.

Needs to be:

- 100mm (could sneak a 120mm without worrying too much about geometry).
- not too heavy
- as cheap as possible

At the minute I've got a short list of:

- RS Reba
- Manitou 'Maverick Pro' (click link to see on CRC)

There seems to be very little info on anything from Manitou in recent years (other than people talking about how there is no info on Manitou forks online).

Anyone got any experience or intel to impart?

Anything else I should consider in the price range?

All help appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
Pyro

Re: New 29er fork?

Post by Pyro »

I'd give Manitou a big thumbs up. I've run 3 sets of Tower Pros at intervals and they've been great.
I still have a set of 80mms (that used to belong to Mr Barrington, iirc) on my hardtail, and they're very very good - nice feel, not overly expensive to service, easy to tune and not overly portly. Only dropped the set from my full suss as I was moving to 120mm and couldn't find a Tower cheap!
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I had xfusion forks that were allright. But impossible to get serviced by an independant suspenion place. I sent them to the distributor who then lost them. I now use marzocchi lcr 320. I have the carbon version. But the standard ones are good as well. As I was loaned a set when xfusion were taking their time deciding what to do. Not as XC as a SID, not a heavy trail fork either. Sort of in between.

120mm work on a lurcher no problem. When you include sag it's only an extra 1.33 to 1.5 cm

Cheers
Last edited by Justchris on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solo

Post by Solo »

I got on alright with reba's.

Then the next bike had X fusion which went back and forward to the distributor (long story). But I'm not a fan overall of them.*

Now my latest has Fox. So far so good but very early days so can't say too much.

*For me, at least, as a light rider.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks for the input folks!

Nowt wrong with Rebas but equally I don't find them particularly inspiring either.

For no good reason I decided the moment I saw them that I hated the X Fusion forks - they just seemed to suspiciously arrive on the scene from nowhere (que someone informing me of who they are and their back story.....) and so I don't trust 'em!

Might just go nuts and plump for the Manitous - you only live once ey?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rebas on my Pact for when I want some bounce. As it's more-or-less reserved for bikepacking duties and is running plus tyres I guess I'm not expecting much of the forks anyway :-)
slarge

Post by slarge »

Got a pair of white Rebas for sale if you're interested Gairy. They are qr hub compatible, around 3 years old but in very good condition - regularly serviced.

I never really got on with the damping performance, but you might? After around £100
gairym

Post by gairym »

Let me have a think.....

I fancied black to go with the Lurcher frame (and everything in my life that has the option of being black) but seems daft to not grab a bargain.

I'll get back to you shortly.....
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

My new Cube has Manitou Minute forks and first couple of rides feel good, smooth, relatively light (1.7kg for 120mm 15mm bolt through) and pretty basic (just like me!), they even stood up well to hitting a car which pulled out on me :-bd