Baa Baa Bikepack - 5360km in the UK.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: Baa Baa Bikepack - 5360km in the UK.

Post by Dave Barter »

I'd explain it to "Dave" by the dirty great tattoo of the route on my arse. Think Ironman.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nice.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Nice.

Nice use of colour Stu, is that black bit the start of the 'barse'?... :grin:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Antony

Post by Antony »

Steve Abraham - he of the recent year record attempt - has been expressing an interest on the Audax UK FB page. This could get interesting.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

The southwest section around my area uses some bloody awful busy A roads that are actually bloody dangerous to ride on, where there are fantastic coastal NCN cycle routes nearby. Bad planning.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

peoples inability to distinguish their intentions from their abilities
Superb. This will only become more prevalent as "bikepacking" become more fashionable. :ugeek:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Not for me either. The SDW seems an odd addition really. For 160km you need some beefy tyres and other 5,200 is on the road so 25/28 should be fine. I know quite a few of the names that are listed and they have done some decent rides between them. Even if SDW was avoided some of the busy roads put me off.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Superb. This will only become more prevalent as "bikepacking" become more fashionable. :ugeek:
Is it a fashion thing? I expect it's just touring finding a new format that appeals mixed with people who have easy lives needing a challenge (raises hand on both counts). Some will over-reach but I expect we all do at times, part of the unknown in it. It's just a bike ride, you get off, get a train home etc and accept a bit of dented pride. Bikepacking is kinder on mistakes than climbing for ex even if you're on one of the very remote routes, perhaps that's where road-based events have appeal and an advantage (advantage is the wrong word, unless you're an organiser, but you know what I mean). It's popular as a way for people to test themselves at the deep end without serious penalties but potentially some real gains. Anyway, not disagreeing, just chat about the way it's got so popular and thinking it's linked to why soloing buildings isn't :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it a fashion thing? I expect it's just touring finding a new format that appeals mixed with people who have easy lives needing a challenge (raises hand on both counts). Some will over-reach but I expect we all do at times, part of the unknown in it. It's just a bike ride, you get off, get a train home etc and accept a bit of dented pride. Bikepacking is kinder on mistakes than climbing for ex even if you're on one of the very remote routes, perhaps that's where road-based events have appeal and an advantage (advantage is the wrong word, unless you're an organiser, but you know what I mean). It's popular as a way for people to test themselves at the deep end without serious penalties but potentially some real gains. Anyway, not disagreeing, just chat about the way it's got so popular and thinking it's linked to why soloing buildings isn't :grin:
Risk aversion's to blame then? :wink:

I suppose it comes back (almost) to 'bikepacking will never become mainstream because it's hard, uncomfortable and requires input'. Not that 5360km doesn't require those things too - road based or otherwise :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Maybe .. some would 50+ miles of bonked-out mess as a bigger risk than others :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

"peoples inability to distinguish their intentions from their abilities"

Failing to see what's wrong with that unless I'm the only one who's gone to a race and come back with a DNF?
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

padonbike wrote:
whats wrong with this anyway people should try to push them selvs etc its up to them and bike packing is a pretty safe way of doing so i allways over reach my self of a bike i do much less training than most people on hear based on my strava , and i turn up on a single speed, still get round the bb200 ok, people should just go do things and if its too hard bike home allong the road haha thats why uk bike packing is so good ! cant push my self like that back country skiing or winter climbing as it would be a bit deadly but ye as long as skilled on a bike so not crashing to much , bonking out on a bike pack seems a perfectly fine way to over reach your self !
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Failing to see what's wrong with that unless I'm the only one who's gone to a race and come back with a DNF?
Nothing, I'm all for people pushing themselves, 'twas simply an observation given the amount of entrants in the time frame ... although, I can't think of anyone who spends money entering a race with the intention of not finishing. Obviously, there may be many and varied reasons for not finishing but one may be, people confusing their intentions with their abilities. :wink:
and i turn up on a single speed
You kind of have to really ... otherwise we'll just call you George :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

And it's been cancelled!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

After a period of deliberation we have decided to cancel the event. We have over 200 entrants who may feel disappointed, but there are plenty of other things for you to go and do. We took legal advice and were told we needed cover for the mass start for public liability etc. Also with 3 deaths in the bikepacking community we did not want to potentially be at the centre of something as bad as that. We know some of you will say it would not be down to us as you decide whether to do it or not, unfortunately the Law in the UK does not make it that simple and to be honest I would rather be riding my bike.
Single Speed George

PJG wrote:From the site:
"This event is definitely not for everyone and it is probably not for you."

:shock:
turns out neither is organizing events ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Unsurprised Greg is unsurprised.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dam, was setting up for this next year. Now need to find something else stupid to do instead.
Single Speed George

they should just pop the route on Self supported UK and then people can just go ITT it anyway if they are so inclined.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Nice.

is that not the route there ?

there is a reason many of these events are "not races" and merely collectives of like minded people - any similarity with something like a race is merely coincidental :D