Not another Garmin Etrex thread!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Not another Garmin Etrex thread!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Have finally got tired of having to load tthe basemaps for each region before I go ride with my trusty Garmin 520... So need something more touristy for longer days out.

Obviously as peeps have said on here before, yhr etrex is the way forward!!

So wanted to know a little more about how people use them on bike..

Do they fot standard garmin bike mounts or do I need to glue/3m a quadlock onto it for handbar mounting?

How easy is it for route planning (can I just upload a strava gpx or do i need to use garmins own software to create rputes?

When the batteries die and I replace them. Will the ride continue from where I left off or do ineed to faff about combining them using Strava Labs later?

How easy is it to upload the rides to strava post-ride?

Does anyone have a worn out one lying around thats going cheapish :-bd
macinblack

Re: Not another Garmin Etrex thread!

Post by macinblack »

I use the standard mount on a bar extender, works ok. Use the lanyard, definitely use the lanyard.

Easy to load gpx files from your route planner (bikehike, viewranger what have you.)

Route carries on where you left off if you swap batteries.

Easy to load onto strava from the device.
redefined_cycles

Re: Not another Garmin Etrex thread!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just done a 170 mile loop. The Garmin 520 I have did the job but etrex would obviously be nicer. So my Q is (if someone knows please) regarding mounts for the bike. I want to really stick a quadlock to it and attach it to my quadlock thingy. Does anyone know if there is enough surface area on the back of the garmin etrex for this?? Ta in advance again