Turin - Nice Video

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

Re: Turin - Nice Video

Post by Scattamah »

24tom wrote:It looks like Colle delle Finestre to me
That's Strada delle Assietta (sp?). Back side of Finestre on the climb up to the moon dust of Assietta. Here's hoping the weather holds like it did last year. It's a belter.

Greetz

S.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Very nice film. Tempting, very tempting.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Thanks, enjoyed that. Brought back many memories!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Greg - if you enjoyed the Indiana Pass climb and subsequent high alpine section all the way down to Horca, you'll love TNR. Lots of this type of riding.

Greetz

S.
wheeledwidewebb

Post by wheeledwidewebb »

I'm signed up for this :-bd

Totally new to bikepacking, so don't know what bike to use yet, what kit to go with, how to get there. But I know I want to do it.

Just found the forum by virtue of researching what kit I will need for this event and I'm loving all the interesting topics I'm finding.
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

wheeledwidewebb wrote:I'm signed up for this :-bd

Totally new to bikepacking, so don't know what bike to use yet, what kit to go with, how to get there. But I know I want to do it.

Just found the forum by virtue of researching what kit I will need for this event and I'm loving all the interesting topics I'm finding.
Im doing it too. My plan to get there is last eurostar out sunday night. 6am tgv from paris to turin under £100 if booked early
wheeledwidewebb

Yes, I looked at the train option because I am not of fan of flying but although the TGV is no problem with a bike, Eurostar seems to be a bit of a PITA. Are you confident that taking your bike on there is easy?

I had settled on flying but maybe I will consider the train option again, we could travel down together I guess.
jameso

Post by jameso »

James, WWW - the 1st TNR thread last year had some chat about trains - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... y&start=75 page 3-5 ish

ie I was told that
Between London and Paris on the Eurostar, the bike goes via a seperate forwarding company.
Let us know if you find anything that contradicts that or may be useful to others? Thanks.
Chew

Post by Chew »

The process for booking via Eurostar isn't the easiest, but as long as you book in advance it will travel on the same train as you.
There's 2 spaces for built up bikes and more if boxed up.
wheeledwidewebb

Yeah, it's a separate company I think that transport the bike but as 'Chew' has already stated, an advanced booking should see the bike on the same train as the rider.

Maybe, happy days, but the earliest I can see a TGV out of Paris for Turin is about 06:30 so getting the last Eurostar from London to Paris is going to leave a lot of waiting around at Gare Du Lyon before the next train leaves.
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

Yes i agree with all thats said about eurostar and tgv. My bike has S&s couplers so will be broken down . il rebuild in turin. The box il post on to avignon . thats my end destination. The wife will be there hopefully with a cold beer. :-bd
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Agree on it being an amazing experience. Hope the weather's as good this year!

On logistics, BA were cheap Gatwick-Turin with a bike in a disposable CTC style plastic bag last year.

Had a few more days to play with so I took the Intercite du Nuit Nice-Paris. 20Euro in advance for a reclining seat but after enduring that I'd recommend a few more Euro in a shared couchette, which also enables you to just wheel your bike on without boxing or wrapping it.

Arrived Paris 7am, then spent a day riding up to Dieppe (180km) for a 35Euro night crossing to Newhaven.
gairym

Post by gairym »

jamesatthelodge wrote:Im doing it too. My plan to get there is last eurostar out sunday night. 6am tgv from paris to turin under £100 if booked early
wheeledwidewebb wrote:Yes, I looked at the train option because I am not of fan of flying but although the TGV is no problem with a bike, Eurostar seems to be a bit of a PITA. Are you confident that taking your bike on there is easy?
I've travelled a fair bit on both with Eurostar and TGV with my bike and I've had good and bad experiences of both.

On the Eurostar I've had my bike not arrive until the next day (even though all booked properly etc...) and as far as I know bikes aren't allowed on the Duplex TGV's (even boxed as there are luggage dimension restrictions) but are allowed on the single level ones.

That being said I've had plenty of other journeys where I've had no problems at all and know people who've used the TGV with bikebags and not been hassled.

I think it's worth really researching to find out what the latest policies are as I'd want to be 110% certain that it's going to work.
wheeledwidewebb

Maybe I'll just stick with flying.