SPOT Trackers or alternatives

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dovebiker

Re: SPOT Trackers or alternatives

Post by Dovebiker »

The Inreach screen is quite small - I wouldn't fancy navigating with it. I have a Spot Gen3 - it doesn't work too well under trees, I can 'disappear' for hours.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Dovebiker wrote:The Inreach screen is quite small - I wouldn't fancy navigating with it. I have a Spot Gen3 - it doesn't work too well under trees, I can 'disappear' for hours.
reading LOTS of reviews about the inReach it does seem the unit shouldn't be considered as a GPS.
small screen, limited waypoints /track ability, cannot use Garmin maps
in many respects seems to be a delorme in a new case with a Garmin badge

HOWEVER, as a tracker /two satellite communicator it rocks.
just don't expect it to replace a "main" GPS, might be fine as a backup.

I intend getting one, so happy to report my findings
undecided whether to get one in time for WRT
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty expensive devices for a backup :o

Not having heard of DeLorme before, a quick search on that there Google reveals that Garmin acquired the company in 2016. The Garmin InReach would appear to be simply a rebranded version of the DeLorme model of the same name. (There'll be firmware differences no doubt)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:Pretty expensive devices for a backup :o
primary use would be tracking and two-way satellite communication
having the ability to use as a back-up GPS would be a bonus. would save having to carry a second GPS unit.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just realised that my Spot subscription is due to renew in a couple of days. Time to be poor. :(
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

just ordered the Garmin inReach Explorer+
(got a massive discount)
if arrived in time will bring to WRT
Chew

Post by Chew »

Just to put the costs of some of the devises mentioned above we're in the process of rolling these out at work for our customers:
http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/teleca ... mation.htm

The units are £150 and monthly plans are in the £15-20 range. Slightly more functions than a Spot, but a lot more cost.

Still personally wouldnt use one, but thats a different discussion and personal choice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

would save having to carry a second GPS unit.
Why would you need to carry a second gps? ... going down that road leads to a third, fourth and fifth one, you know, just in case :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
would save having to carry a second GPS unit.
Why would you need to carry a second gps? ... going down that road leads to a third, fourth and fifth one, you know, just in case :wink:
I'll be carrying a second GPS unit from now on every time it matters. Garmins are just too unpredictable.

There's the well known episode of The Craigies crashing during the HT550, my etrex 30x suffered a similar terminal systems crash while I was riding to bearstock (replaced under warranty) and during the braunton 150 my 800 crashed and luckily restarted but only after a factory reset - which erased all the data on it! Luckily I always put GPX file on the SD card so was able to reload the route and finish.

So while I agree with the concept of reducing "what if" questions unfortunately with Garmins it isn't "what if", it's "what WHEN"
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Chew wrote:Just to put the costs of some of the devises mentioned above we're in the process of rolling these out at work for our customers:
http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/teleca ... mation.htm
They are cellular mobile based.
Won't work in areas of no cellular coverage
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So while I agree with the concept of reducing "what if" questions unfortunately with Garmins it isn't "what if", it's "what WHEN"
I hadn't realised Garmins were like knickers and they should be changed every day :wink:

Completely get your point Ian, especially in a 'time matters' situation but what are you going to do when the second one stops working?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The only time I've carried a "backup" GPS was after I'd first got the Oregon and wasn't completely up to speed with how it worked so I also took my Edge 510 (obviously good enough for logging data but no good for following a map as it doesn't have that capability)
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Luckily I always put GPX file on the SD card so was able to reload the route and finish.
Been thinking about this possibility as a work around if the unit crashes during a ride.
Did you take the sd card out before pressing reset or does the system ignore the sd card?
I am assuming a factory reset can be done without the unit plugged in - need to research that.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Asposium wrote:They are cellular mobile based.
Won't work in areas of no cellular coverage
I wasn't suggesting them as an alternative, mainly as at those prices in a commercial market (smart phone app in development) then the price of a Spot subscription seems good value in comparison.

Still kinda see them as a secrurity blanket. What's the probability That you may be in an emergency situation that requires pressing the button and are able to, vs normal risks in everyday life?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I hadn't realised Garmins were like knickers and they should be changed every day :wink:

Completely get your point Ian, especially in a 'time matters' situation but what are you going to do when the second one stops working?
Swear really loudly and kick something inanimate I'd guess, then...

Resort to the paper maps I make and carry for routes I'm riding but obviously be loads slower. And cross.

If there is a way to make Garmins more reliable I'd do it! I already empty as much information off it as possible before starting. In future I'll also be saving my track every 100km and starting a new one. I think a large file size was a factor in the 800 crashing. No idea about the etrex though...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mariner wrote:
Luckily I always put GPX file on the SD card so was able to reload the route and finish.
Been thinking about this possibility as a work around if the unit crashes during a ride.
Did you take the sd card out before pressing reset or does the system ignore the sd card?
I am assuming a factory reset can be done without the unit plugged in - need to research that.

I left it in (didn't even think about that at 1:57am!) but clearly they are unaffected by a reset. I also found (since) that there is a setting to get the machine to write your data to the SD card too. It's set up like that now!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I have wondered if the large file sizes are a factor. At work we sometimes have problems with AutoCAD files when they get very large, don't know why but just seems to be the way it is.

When they were writing the software for the Etrex (which I assume was originally designed for walkers) I don't suppose they ever imagined that people would strap them to their handlebars and ride non-stop for 24 hrs and more covering 150 miles. My Etrex has been ok so far but on my Edge 500 I have only ever lost rides when then are longer, which is the worst data to loose :cry:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Oregon (and Dakota before that FWIW) doesn't seem to suffer from half the problems the Edge series do.

I'm still not sure I'd want to combine my route-finding/logging GPS with my "safety" tracker though.
Chew wrote:
Still kinda see them as a secrurity blanket. What's the probability That you may be in an emergency situation that requires pressing the button and are able to, vs normal risks in everyday life?
Even without pressing the button there's an increased chance you could be found if you hadn't checked in on schedule.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I don't think I would get a spot due to the costs, but I might consider it if doing a long really remote trip. If you do anything with risks attached eventually it bites you,
When I was skydiving we had a saying ' It's not IF it's When and how bad'
That's being pessimistic, when I used to windsurf alone offshore I would take extra lines and flares just in case. I once had to self rescue 3 miles out in the med by using the line and harness as a sea anchor after breaking a fin.
In a way it's an extension of taking a spare tube, I've not used one since going tubeless but I know I will.
For me it would be for the sos more than the tracking, most of the time mrs dummy is just glad I'm out from under her feet, I couldn't imagine her having any interest in dot watching.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:My Oregon (and Dakota before that FWIW) doesn't seem to suffer from half the problems the Edge series do.
I've not used the Oregon a huge amount but it lasted for a full two days recording over the Easter weekend. I'll be saving stuff daily on the HT550 :wink: . Cath's got the Edge 800 and it didn't seem to have problems either but she saved the file at the end of the first day. I borrowed her 800 for last year's Braunton 150 and did have problems but they were all user initiated :oops: I've heard several people mention that long rides cause problems for the Edge series particularly when you get to the 12-14hr mark but it doesn't seem to be consistent as they have done other equally long rides with no problems.

Not sure if you mentioned it on this thread or another but if you put a cheat sheet in the battery compartment to allow recharging of non-Garmin batteries it has to be very thin, something like a bit from an old toothpaste tube is enough, otherwise you won't be able to shut the battery compartment.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Not sure if you mentioned it on this thread or another but if you put a cheat sheet in the battery compartment to allow recharging of non-Garmin batteries it has to be very thin, something like a bit from an old toothpaste tube is enough, otherwise you won't be able to shut the battery compartment.
I've used an old sim card from a phone.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

there is a setting to get the machine to write your data to the SD card too.
How? My sd card is writable but regular storage/archiving is all in unit memory.
Do I delete archive on Garmin and add to sd card?
problems with AutoCAD files when they get very large
Do you 'purge' them or are they full of XRefs?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

the Garmin inReach Explorer+ arrived.
seems quite nice.
fairly small
fairly lightweight
web interface is simple
just waiting for the unit to get its first fix ....though stuck in a factory at the moment so no chance there