BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Post by Richard G »

Stress will mess you up. There was a period in January when my weight and my heart rate variability went to pieces because of it.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thanks Richard, knew diet was going to suffer, just been trying to renovate an apartment that's 4 hours drive away, but the worst is over. Now rewired, re plumbed, re gassed, bathroom fittings and new kitchen purchased, so only those need fitting now, then decoration. Budget was tight but managed not to go to the red (that was the main stresser).
Just back in from the first bike ride in a couple of weeks and loved every minute of it. All is good :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's mostly work for me. You can literally see it in my training numbers when it hits. For me the mental game is a massive part of it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Well done to everyone who's been keeping it up. I've been having a bit of a rough time lately on the food front. In have been doing plenty of walking and cycling though; too much for me actually and run myself down.

Anyway re-logged and restarting...
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

godivatrailrider wrote:
godivatrailrider wrote:Martin
01/01/17
Initial Goal ? anything starting with 15st would be good...... 14st something would be vaguely exciting

17st 6.8lb :???:
17th Jan - 17.3.4 (was 17.6.0 on 16th)
23rd Jan - 17.2.6
30th Jan - 16.13.4
6th Feb - 16.11.2
13th Feb - 16.8.6
20th Feb - 16.8.6
27th Feb - 16.7.8
6th March - 16.3.2
Good week this week .... down 3.5lb :) That's put my first milestone (sub 16st) within grasp in a week or two .....
Got a kettlebell , really enjoying using it... :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got a kettlebell
Lidl had some in last week, didn't look bad quality.
May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Got a kettlebell
Lidl had some in last week, didn't look bad quality.
Might take a look. I have a 16kg from Decathlon. It's spot on. Cast Iron so quite compact.
The cheap ones are usually quite bulky and not comfortable.
Thanks for the heads up.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Original post updated, it is weigh in week isn't it ?
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Original post updated, it is weigh in week isn't it ?
Yes it is.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

As I said above its week 10 so a prize to one lucky member of the fat fighters club. Get posting to be in the draw!

Post up draw and graph update over the weekend.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

NorwayCalling wrote:As I said above its week 10 so a prize to one lucky member of the fat fighters club. Get posting to be in the draw!

Post up draw and graph update over the weekend.

I was late to the party so don't think I made it on to the graph.

I'm quite impressed with the lchf approach, does seem to coat a bit of top end power though. I settled on mainly eating like that midweek then having a few carbs at weekends to fuel the longer rides. That said I'm able to get through those longer rides with way, way less food than I would have eaten before. I rode 5 hours on Saturday. Started nearly fasted on a coffee and a glass of milk, ate on nakd bar and a bacon and egg roll during the ride then wasn't really hungry when I got home. in the past I've had eaten every 30 mins and still been starving when I got back.

So far I'm down 4.5kg in 6 weeks, with about the same to go to get to race weight...

I'll get another body scan at the uni in a couple of weeks to check how it's going as I'm gaining a little muscle too. So far 450g!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm human too... weekend away cycling has meant a decent amount of weight gain (will see just how much when I get my average tomorrow).

Away again this weekend, so unless I'm a proper boy scout it's likely I'm going to put on a bit more. No worries getting it back off over the next couple of weeks though. Nearly done with this sub standard.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Red for me this time... oh well working 328hrs in the last 26 days has not helped at all. Up 0.8 kg tis last 2 weeks.

Remember ITS PRIZE WEEK so lets all make the effort to post our results. Good or bad!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

01.01.17 98kg
15.01.17 98kg
30.01.17 98.5kg
04.02.17 97.7kg
20.02.17 98.1kg
07.02.17 96.7kg

Just surprised myself with that. Normally I weigh myself in the morning, before breakfast and after my ablutions. Didnt even take my kecks off.
I'm just going outside ...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ian wrote:Target: 65 kg

01/01/2017: weight 71.0 kg | BMI 23.2 | gut 85 cm
11/01/2017: weight 69.4 kg | BMI 22.6 | gut not measured
22/01/2017: weight 69.2 kg | BMI 22.5 | gut 81 cm
27/01/2017: weight 68.4 kg | BMI 22.3 | gut 80 cm
10/02/2017: weight 68.1 kg | BMI 22.2 | gut 80 cm
24/02/2017: no measurements
10/03/2017: weight 65.8 kg | BMI 21.4 | gut 78 cm
24/03/2017:
LCHF seems to be working. Kind of weird eating fairly little but not being hungry. Daily calorie intake is generally less than 1500/ day.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Original post updated

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 94#p106394

No change at 74.3kg which is better than expected! Last 2 weeks has been lots of stress, travel and rubbish food!

Keep at it all :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Original post updated

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ile&u=3763

10/2/2017 Weight 85.1Kg | BMI 26.2

I've got new scales which are supposedly accurate to +/- 100g whereas the old scales I was lucky if I could differentiate a 500g change. The two scales seem to be roughly in alignment as I'd say the old ones show 85Kg as far as I can tell.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kind of weird eating fairly little but not being hungry.
It is odd isn't it. There's a few times where I've had to make myself eat something even though I've not eaten anything (other than a few almonds or similar) for 24 hours. Normal day to day energy levels seem no different.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

With the LCHF type diet I'm assuming that the increased consumption of fat is making you feel sated earlier? Also assuming that you don't just stuff your face with the same volume of food given that fat contains 9Kcal/g as opposed to 4Kcal/g for carbs and protein.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Fat and protein are great for satiety, carbs not so much.

Plus, if they're properly fat metabolism adapted (which they should be after this many weeks) then their body will naturally be happier working with its in-built energy stores. I found the same with intermittent fasting. I can easily go 24 hours without eating a thing now, and have done anywhere up to 8 hour rides completely fasted.

Insulin is a hell of a thing.
Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:With the LCHF type diet I'm assuming that the increased consumption of fat is making you feel sated earlier? Also assuming that you don't just stuff your face with the same volume of food given that fat contains 9Kcal/g as opposed to 4Kcal/g for carbs and protein.
Pretty much, yes. A little bit of the right food goes a long way.

Going round the supermarket, I'm become much more alert for the "low fat" this and "reduced fat" that, and yet obesity is at an all time high. From a wider evolutionary perspective, is it a coincidence that our bodies adapted to utilise food of the higher caloric value? I think not.
As already been mentioned in this thread, we're stuck on 1950/60's nutritional advice, around which an enormous food industry has evolved, but we now know much more about what our bodies do with the types of food we eat, yet 60+ years later we're still clinging to misleading information.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Richard G wrote:Fat and protein are great for satiety, carbs not so much.

Plus, if they're properly fat metabolism adapted (which they should be after this many weeks) then their body will naturally be happier working with its in-built energy stores. I found the same with intermittent fasting. I can easily go 24 hours without eating a thing now, and have done anywhere up to 8 hour rides completely fasted.

Dr Michael Mosely, the bloke that came up with the 5-2 diet has a new fad book out, The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. I've been doing nothing for the last week or so with a bad back so thought I'd give it a go. Lying on the sofa I've dropped 8 pounds in a week, with a bit of activity he reckons 3 stone over the 8 weeks is achievable.

To summarise the book, the thing is to "Mediterraneanise" your diet, no carbs and 800 calories a day. My underlying diet is superb, it's the beer, biscuits and cake that have made me fat. I've found it easy going so far. My back is easing up so I've going to lower the gearing on the singlespeed this morning and have a very easy ride to see how I get on.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There was a programme on TV the other night, something about living on/off the land with Kate Humble presenting it. One of the farmers being interviewed had invested in Wagyu beef. Showing a typical steak he pointed out the marbling of fat in the Wagyu compared to a typical supermarket steak which was "lean". Thirty years ago, well marbled beef was what we produced on the family farm! Just about every beef producer did so. The Wagyu and older British style steaks will cook in their own fat (most of which will escape from the meat during the cooking) and add to the flavour whereas with the modern, lean, steak the cook has to add fat to do the cooking :???:

Re: reduced fat, etc. I'll take the hit of the properly flavoured stuff thankyou. If I want to reduce fat/sugar then I'll just eat less. A bit radical I know.

Edit: I don't think Dr Michael Mosely came up with the 5:2 diet but he certainly popularised it in the UK
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I could go for a steak right now. Might sous vide it straight from frozen and have it rare later. Mmmmm...

Related. I've noticed that it's really hard to get a decent thick cut of steak lately. I've taken to buying the joints, sous viding for like 14 hours then searing. It's like eating a 1.5kg steak. :D
godivatrailrider

Richard G wrote:Fat and protein are great for satiety, carbs not so much.

Truth !

I've been on LCHF since the start of the year, I've had no obvious carbs at all, nothing sugary, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, biscuits, cakes (I lie, I had 1 slice of cheesecake on my 50th birthday at the end of Jan) . I'm ON IT. :)
Down 1st 4lb , and have changed shape quite a bit. Clothes are much looser etc. I now usually intermittant fast 16:8 or thereabouts, skip breakfast, and don't miss it. If I start getting peckish, which doesn't always happen, I'll have a couple of teaspoons of good Crunchy Peanut Butter and maybe half a stock cube in boiling water.
Lunch is usually a greek salad with a simple homemade vinegar and olive oil dressing, half a feta, portion smoked mackerel.
I drink A LOT of water.... 6-8 x 800ML Mizu bottles at work.
I feel flippin great and genuinely don't miss the carbs.... the food I CAN eat is amazing and keeps me satiated...
The Boy is doing better than me.
Wouldn't have happened if we hadn't come to Bearstock :cool: :cool: so once again thanks for that !