BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:Put on 2kg in last two days thanks to birthday weekend excesses. lol
I don't have that excuse :oops: It's my usual post effort rebound - I'll lose 3Kg during the effort, put 4Kg over the next few days on then lose 1Kg by the end of the week.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

godivatrailrider wrote:
godivatrailrider wrote:Martin
01/01/17
Initial Goal ? anything starting with 15st would be good...... 14st something would be vaguely exciting

17st 6.8lb :???:
17th Jan - 17.3.4 (was 17.6.0 on 16th)
23rd Jan - 17.2.6
30th Jan - 16.13.4
6th Feb - 16.11.2
13th Feb - 16.8.6
20th Feb - 16.8.6
27th Feb - 16.7.8
6th March - 16.3.2
13th March - 16.3.0
20 March - 16.1.6
I am elated to report I was 15.12.6 this morning :cool: :cool: I've hit my first target !
Onwards and downwards .... 5.5lb off 15.5 stone .... doable in a few weeks.... it's a marathon not a sprint and I know the loss will continue to be slow & steady.
Very happy.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Had my first big meal in ages today...cyclist size meal, that is to say. :) Expected to be heavier this morning...seems what I lost in sweat and salt yesterday on Lois balanced it out. An even 66Kg still. Still looking for that extra 1000g...and looking forward to not having that feeling my body is eating itself.

Greetz

S.
Mart

Post by Mart »

After a few months of healthy eating I've lost some but then started some strength work in the gym
Now the trend has reversed - Im putting on weight .... not happy :oops:
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Im putting on weight
Yes but given the strength work, it's likey the extra mass gained is muscle, not fat. Generally, the more muscle you have, the more fat your body will naturally burn.
.and looking forward to not having that feeling my body is eating itself.
I quite like that feeling :???:
I am elated to report I was 15.12.6 this morning :cool: :cool: I've hit my first target !
Well done :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Unless you're particularly lucky, hopped up on steroids or get into complex nutrient timing then you'd generally be putting on a reasonable amount fat with your muscle when you're gaining weight. It's too easy to assume that because you're doing strength work that you're putting on mostly muscle. Only way to really know for sure is DEXA and the like.

It's the never ending battle for bodybuilders. Put on the minimal amount of fat whilst bulking. Lose the minimum amount of muscle whilst cutting.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm reading this book at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Real-M ... 472135695/

Good breakdown of the scientific stuff and loads of really good recipes. This morning I had did a black kale, chorizo and fried egg hash thing and it was flippin' lovely. Not a carb in sight and I'm not expecting to need to eat anything until teatime tonight (despite riding the singlespeed late last night and a biggish ride on Saturday).

That said, I found Saturday's ride quite tough energy-wise. 75 km and 2,000 metres of ascent, I took water water, a large chunk of cheese, some chorizo and a Paleo Pantry coconut and macadamia bar (which was really nice). Was feeling really quite empty by the end of it. Mind you, Strava says I burned 2,662 kcal's, which even allowing for generous error is quite a bit.

So, question for the LCHF folks - how, when and with what are you fuelling your riding - assuming that you're riding a normal to quick pace and not just pootling along?
Last edited by Ian on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
godivatrailrider

Scattamah wrote:Had my first big meal in ages today...cyclist size meal, that is to say. :) Expected to be heavier this morning...seems what I lost in sweat and salt yesterday on Lois balanced it out. An even 66Kg still. Still looking for that extra 1000g...and looking forward to not having that feeling my body is eating itself.

Greetz

S.
Have you tried BCAA? https://www.myprotein.com/amino-acid/bc ... lsrc=aw.ds
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 19#p106394

Original post updated.

Mirroring: The BrownDog's experience, a stressful few weeks has meant fpe me: no cycling, lots of driving, lots of junk food, and comfort eating, and I've missed my regular dog walking, but when I consider the weight gained, the gain could have been worse.

Time to get back on it. And I've got a WRT to get marginally less unfit for.

I'm off to walk the dog! :cool:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I haven't seen those before. Thanks for the link. :)

The one that seems to work for me is Hammer Nutrition Race Caps. Worked for RayKB too on the WRT a few years back...to the point he asked if it was legal. Pricey though. :( I've seen quite a few folks ride the TD with Hammer Premium Insurance caps to top up on the stuff you don't get in gas station food.

Greetz

S.
godivatrailrider

Scattamah wrote:I haven't seen those before. Thanks for the link. :)

The one that seems to work for me is Hammer Nutrition Race Caps. Worked for RayKB too on the WRT a few years back...to the point he asked if it was legal. Pricey though. :( I've seen quite a few folks ride the TD with Hammer Premium Insurance caps to top up on the stuff you don't get in gas station food.

Greetz

S.
Have a look into BCAA .... it's one of those things that it'd be difficult to say if it works , though you seem pretty in tune with your body. A fair few folks swear by them.
I think you can get 25% off if referred ... https://www.myprotein.com/accountCreate.account and use the referral code MARTIN-RE2X .... or don't.
Their Impact Whey Protein shakes are flippin vaguely exciting too, Vanilla is strongly recommended and Carb free. :)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Richard G wrote:Unless you're particularly lucky, hopped up on steroids or get into complex nutrient timing then you'd generally be putting on a reasonable amount fat with your muscle when you're gaining weight. It's too easy to assume that because you're doing strength work that you're putting on mostly muscle. Only way to really know for sure is DEXA and the like.

It's the never ending battle for bodybuilders. Put on the minimal amount of fat whilst bulking. Lose the minimum amount of muscle whilst cutting.
Ive not being going mad in the gym or anything .. just doing a bit more and mixing it up a bit differently from before
Don't want to bulk up - just raise my metabolism a bit so I burn more - going off to google DEXA (I have no idea what this is)

A good long burst (for me) on the bike yesterday should help - Time will tell when I go for my usual Friday weigh in
2924 miles per Gallon
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wouldn't bother with BCAA unless you're doing a lot of fasted training. The science doesn't support its use otherwise.

If you are doing fasted training, then just go for the cheapest stuff you can find, which will likely be this... https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrit ... 36978.html

Expensive, but realistically you wont use more than 10g when you train fasted, and I doubt many here would do that daily (so it'll last a decent amount of time).
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

so i am now 73.3kg goingfr the worlds slowest weight loss ever!

interestingly percentage wise the scales now say im 31.1 fat, 50.6 h20, 27.4 muscle aand 2.8 bone density. So slowly changing in composition too
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

adjustablewench wrote:so i am now 73.3kg goingfr the worlds slowest weight loss ever!
Ummm... No, I don't think so, you are doing great!

You have lost the best part of 5 kg or 6.3% of your body weight since the start. That is great going. Well done!
adjustablewench

I guess when you put it like that it's not so bad :)

After looking a bit more into the science of the ketogenic diet I have decided to give it a go. More for its apparent benefit to neurological function - having been left with a few issues post surgery anything that boosts my recovery will be appreciated.

I'm interested to see what the overall effects will be
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Watch out for signs of depression / hormonal strangeness. I know a few women that have tried it that really responded badly to it.
adjustablewench

Yes I did think it may get interesting at certain 'I need to consume my body weight in carbs' times of the month, but I shall see how it goes.

I have a friend who follows a paleo diet for 3 out of 4 weeks but can't manage it all the time
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Richard G wrote:Watch out for signs of depression / hormonal strangeness. I know a few women that have tried it that really responded badly to it.
usually when not enough Fats are consumed, most folks can't get their heads around the Fat/protein balance, moderate protein High fats :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Usually, but not always. My missus in particular went to pieces on low carb, and fat was her primary macro. After about 8 weeks we had to pull her off it.

Women be scary things. :shock:
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

As I have said from the start, I am not on any sort of diet personally, just a lifestyle change based on the simple; energy in = energy out.

By not restricting myself to food the family doesn't eat I have don't have to miss out on the odd Chinese or pizza or anything. All that I have done is EAT LESS.

Took a few weeks to work out just how much less but getting a feel for it now. I like many others suffered from "portion distortion" and just ate too much.

Over 5kg down now and loosing weight at a rate my body doesn't think is a starvation pattern so isent looking to hang on to every calory (yo-yo deiting).
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I actually wish I had a plate size between my dinner plates and my smaller plates. Dinner plates seem crazy large to me... I took to filling them with salad rather than chips like I used to.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Now 73.3 Kg. Original post updated: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 99#p106599

Apologies for not posting last month, have had a few health problems and together with the flat renovation meant I had to take it easy. In this case not to get so worried about the diet, too many other things to worry about! I thought that my weight would have crept back up so I am happy to see it still on a (slow) downward trend. I think my problem is going to be that as the weather improves, and outdoor activities increase, is matching calories in to calories out, too few in and things could start falling apart. I've decided, as mentioned above, that for me at the moment it's just to concentrate on sensible eating choice that will be longlasting and accept that the weight will come off, albeit slowly. So, was hoping to hit my target (67kg) by the beginning of summer, but now I would be happy to get there by the end of summer.
Thanks to all, you do help me to stay motivated, even when all is doom and gloom :smile:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Richard G wrote:I actually wish I had a plate size between my dinner plates and my smaller plates. Dinner plates seem crazy large to me... I took to filling them with salad rather than chips like I used to.
Richard, I'm sure I read something about the increase in plate size over the last 20/30 years a while back. Our dinner set (wedding gift) has dinner plates at 27cm dia and 'breakfast plates' at 23.5 cm dia. I'm sure even the latter are a touch bigger than the standard dinner size plate our family had when we were kids. What is interesting is the increase in area of the plate, 23.5 to 27 cm may not sound like much, but the area increase is from 433cm2 to 572cm2, about 30% bigger :shock: maybe time to get the breakfast plates out :smile:

ps Dinner set has four sizes discounting bowls. 27cm, 23.5, 20.5 and 17.5. Whilst the first is obviousley dinner plate and the last side plate, it's the two inbetween sizes that I think that were probably standard dinner plate size, though the 20.5 looks tiny side by side with the bigger plate.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's funny, I'd be happy to buy them if I could get them, but even Denby don't seem to have anything that suits. At least not in my range.

You have 17.5cm / 22.0cm / 26.5cm / 31.0cm (!)

I actually think ~24cm would probably be perfect.