BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Post by firestarter »

One day on and I've already gained a pound doh....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Maybe just a lag from the festivities? Or muscle growth with the festive rest :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Weight fluctuates significantly on a day by day basis. What matters is the trend, not the individual numbers.

When I'm actively tracking my weight I like to just look at the averages. Be it 7 day, 14 day, month, whatever.
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

So after a rather disastrous ride today against 20-30mph head winds around Ladybower and Derwent,

My goals have become clearer...

Current Weight: 96 kgs and a bit of a belly!

Goal: sub 89 kgs and less belly to fit my bearbones top!

Also I really need to work on my stamina after too much hike-a-bike today.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

As of today,
Height 167cm,
Weight 74kg,
Waist 94cm (37in),
BMI 26.5.
Was 78kg at this time last year and got it down to 72 kg for daughter's wedding in May (had to fit into the kilt I got as a teenager) but crept back up when I took my eye off the ball autumn onwards.
Would like to get down to about 67kg, lighter if poss, waist to 84cm (33in) and BMI to about 24ish.
P
18.01.17 - 73.8kg
29.01.17 - 73.6kg Waist - 93cm
26.02.17 - 73.6kg
06.04.17 - 73.3kg
02.05.17 - 72.7kg Waist - 91 cm
Last edited by PeterC on Tue May 02, 2017 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
tommid

Post by tommid »

I weighed myself earlier, so that I could get in on the action.

Currently 37 years of age, 6'3", 95.5kg BMI 26.3. At the beginning of last year I was 110kg and had been for 11 years.
My goal is to hit 90kg by March and then put on some muscle (upper body) and probably hang around 92kg.

I will achieve this by laying off the booze for a few months and reining in my diet now that Christmas is over, I have a pretty healthy diet as it is (yogurt and granola for breakfast, salad for lunch (no dressing), 4 pieces of fruit and an evening meal with lots of veg and meat only three nights a week). I have pushed my average rides from 25 miles to 35-40, a weekly game of squash and I run 2-3 times a week at lunch for 2.5 miles. Thats about all I can fit in with family life and work. I will add 20 minutes a night of weights after March.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Last day of Xmas/NY pig-out, so let's get started.

Weight today = 61.8kg
BMI = 23.2
Goal = 56kg, by May, which is definitely achievable if I can stop eating processed crap, stay injury free and keep the training steady.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

tommid wrote:I weighed myself earlier, so that I could get in on the action.

Currently 37 years of age, 6'3", 95.5kg BMI 26.3. At the beginning of last year I was 110kg and had been for 11 years.
My goal is to hit 90kg by March and then put on some muscle (upper body) and probably hang around 92kg.

I will achieve this by laying off the booze for a few months and reining in my diet now that Christmas is over, I have a pretty healthy diet as it is (yogurt and granola for breakfast, salad for lunch (no dressing), 4 pieces of fruit and an evening meal with lots of veg and meat only three nights a week). I have pushed my average rides from 25 miles to 35-40, a weekly game of squash and I run 2-3 times a week at lunch for 2.5 miles. Thats about all I can fit in with family life and work. I will add 20 minutes a night of weights after March.
Good to know it can be done tommid - you a year ago is my height and just over my weight. Managed to get down to 96kg a couple of years ago and it was like being pushed uphill on the bike :-bd . I think of my fighting weight as around mid 80s kg but that was when I running more regularly and climbing. No chance of getting there now but low 90s would be good, like you. Good luck shedding the last few kilos :-)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Last day of Xmas/NY pig-out, so let's get started.

Weight today = 61.8kg
BMI = 23.2
Goal = 56kg, by May, which is definitely achievable if I can stop eating processed crap, stay injury free and keep the training steady.
BMI of 23.2 ! and you want to be 8.8 stone ! Are you an elf?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

56kg would arguably be right at the junction of underweight and ideal weight for a 5' 9" guy... so you don't necessarily have to be that small. Maybe he just wants to be really fast up hills. :-bd

(By my estimate, he'd be about 5' 4" though for those numbers)
ton

Post by ton »

looking at some of the weights you blokes are, you must be bloody tiny..............or I must be bloody mahoosive :grin:
godivatrailrider

Richard G wrote:56kg would arguably be right at the junction of underweight and ideal weight for a 5' 9" guy...
... with a skinny frame. I'm 5'10" and there is no way I could get anywhere near 9st
I got down to 13st something 20 years ago and looked 'slim'
Some folks frames are bigger than others. You get little fella's and big fellas, short and tall. Not all skeletons are the same :)
godivatrailrider

ton wrote:looking at some of the weights you blokes are, you must be bloody tiny..............or I must be bloody mahoosive :grin:
I'm with you on that Ton!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

godivatrailrider wrote:Not all skeletons are the same :)
I've always thought I had a particularly heavy skeleton. :cool:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

http://www.timigustafson.com/2009/what- ... -s-m-l-xl/

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weig ... lator.html

I'm officially a large frame going by wrist size and size 13 feet at 6'. BMI has always been nonsense for me.

According to the above I should be in the 164-188lb range. Give my weight lifting past I'd be more than happy at 190lb

At secondary school medicals I was classed as overweight. I had a six pack and could do 20 pulls ups at the time, I was blatantly not over weight, unlike now :cry:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Based on that one, I'm already at the low point of my weight range. Not overly convinced about that.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Well I guess you'd know better than a generalisation, but it gives some idea better than BMI

I would have thought any race cycling weight is going to be well lower than suggested anyway.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Happy to be corrected but I always understood BMI was developed by the insurance industry. Subsequently, as it existed and there was nothing else "better" available it got adopted for various, more medical, purposes. Whilst it was based on a half-decent sample size it was also a blunt tool which didn't cope with certain body-types / weights / fitness, particularly those more muscle-bound than the "average". I thought it was also based on a data-set that was a bit old and before nutrition etc had allowed the UK population to reach something akin to their peak / normal size (not mentioning the current trend of skewed body-views / accepting some level of over-weight as normal).

In short, BMI is a bit bollocks :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From Wikipedia so usual caveats apply:

"The basis of the BMI was devised by Adolphe Quetelet, a Belgian astronomer, mathematician, statistician and sociologist, from 1830 to 1850 during which time he developed what he called "social physics".[4] The modern term "body mass index" (BMI) for the ratio of human body weight to squared height was coined in a paper published in the July 1972 edition of the Journal of Chronic Diseases by Ancel Keys. In this paper, Keys argued that what he termed the BMI was "...if not fully satisfactory, at least as good as any other relative weight index as an indicator of relative obesity""
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

If you're concerned about using BMI to track weight loss (for example if your built like a muscly gorilla) a good measure to look into is hip to waist ratio, I'm seeing it used more and more in patients notes at work. (I'm an ICU nurse, I don't help folks manage weight loss but I do see a lot of gastric band/bypass patients)

from NHS choices
"Measuring your waist is a good way to check you're not carrying too much fat around your stomach, which can raise your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke.
You can have a healthy BMI and still have excess tummy fat – meaning you're still at risk of developing these diseases."

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51

good luck to all those taking part.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Of course, thanks to wonderful genetics it's quite possible to be scrawny literally everywhere else but still have a decent amount of belly fat.

I look like I'm dying of a horrible wasting disease before my lower abs come in. :(
barney

Post by barney »

I'm a rather embarrassing 90kg and 100cm :oops:

I'm not going to set myself a specific weight target other than lose a few kilo's

My ambition is to be fit enough to ride and finish the BB200, hopefully I'll have enough time to start getting in shape before entries open.
Wait for me...
Gari

Post by Gari »

90kg at 1 metre tall? Are you one of the mr men? :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Gari wrote:90kg at 1 metre tall? Are you one of the mr men? :grin:
Some people have been posting waist measurements too :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:
Gari wrote:90kg at 1 metre tall? Are you one of the mr men? :grin:
Some people have been posting waist measurements too :roll:
Aww! There was me thinking we'd got an umpahlumpah in the fat fighters club :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry