Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NorwayCalling

Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Post by NorwayCalling »

The new year will soon be upon us and another round of list of resolutions that will get achieved or fall by the wayside. The perennial favorite is "I must loose weight".... and so it goes on year after year...

2017 will be like any other year, but this year I intend to make permanent changes to my eating habits as (at last) I am fed up of being overweight. Mid life crisis maybe but i just don't want to be permanently the "fat lad at the back". Not that i get to ride with anyone but the sentiment remains.

So, question is who wants to join me in the Bearbones Fatfighters Club... ? We have a few weeks of guilt free eating over Christmas but come January the fun begins.

How it works? Simple really, just like the real fatfighters, there will be a monthly (or biweekly) weigh in, just you can do it all in the privacy of your own home and not in the village hall. Mutual support (or peer pressure as I prefer to call it) works wonders apparently.

Achievable goals will be set...

All you need to do is post your weight once or twice a month (and if you like stomachs circumference and upper thigh conference)., The whole world can see how much weight loss/gain you have achieved so a wee bit of an incentive to keep at it.

Thoughts anyone? Fancy the challenge....

Fat tyre kicker

Re: Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Hmmm.....could do with losing the weight, I don't like being the
Chubby puppy either :roll: . I have managed a weekly ride now
For longer than usual so hopefully the two could go hand in hand,
My wife does slimming world but unfortunately chicken curry and
Malt whisky don't figure strongly in meal plans :o .
So....I might be up for it,why not, assuming I don't feint and knock myself out
when I Read the scales in January :-bd
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

simples, nutritional Ketosis way of eating (very low carbs and very high natural fats) it just works and its very healthy :)
Fat tyre kicker

My wife has more books on diet and nutrition, plus recipes than enough,
I know my carbs from my proteins, I think Mr NorwayCalling is trying to
Provide motivation in the coming fat rich weeks :grin:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I don't know how people can stick rigidly to a strict diet, be it ketogenic, vegan, or whatever. Clearly I just don't have the discipline, but for me real life, especially travelling, conflicts with this regimented nutrition doctrine, and I guess >50% of my intake is purchased rather than prepared.

That said, I do need to lose some weight and happy to get involved in this motivational exercise.
ton

Post by ton »

count me in.
currently topping out a 22 stones. this is 3 stone heavier than I was in august prior to a ankle fusion. so I have been immobile for 3 months.
I started on a ketosis diet, that lawmanmx recommended, but to be honest I felt sub standard on it. very tired and lethargic.
so I am now trying a very low carb diet, which proved successful to me in the past. I lost 5 stone on it. it is pretty similar to the ketosis diet, but involves eating tons of veg and pulses, meat and fish. not quite as high fat.

fingers crossed.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh I'm in.

Managed to shift 2.5 stone this year with lower carbs (obviously riding too), but want to attack another 2 stone after Christmas.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Aye, go on. I've been doing alright with the 5/2 diet this year (it's easier than you might think if you haven't tried it), but have fallen into doing it on/off (mostly off) for the last few months. Dropping a stone would be fantastic, and maybe this'd push me into doing it more rigorously.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

ton wrote:count me in.
currently topping out a 22 stones. this is 3 stone heavier than I was in august prior to a ankle fusion. so I have been immobile for 3 months.
I started on a ketosis diet, that lawmanmx recommended, but to be honest I felt sub standard on it. very tired and lethargic.
so I am now trying a very low carb diet, which proved successful to me in the past. I lost 5 stone on it. it is pretty similar to the ketosis diet, but involves eating tons of veg and pulses, meat and fish. not quite as high fat.

fingers crossed.
Tony, as i said in our phone conversation, you could feel sub-par for many weeks IF you cut the carbs BUT don't get the high fats down you, people don't realise how much fat (Energy) you can eat without gaining Any fat weight, it is Massively important to eat more fats to lose fat! It really works mate ... If its done properly and stuck to for at least 3 solid months! its taken years for you to get to that weight so it won't leave overnight pal, carbs/sugars/fruits/potato/pasta/rice/bread are ALL your enemy :sad:
ton

Post by ton »

Tony, I did lose some weight to start, but just felt rough. but to be honest, I was sat at home all the time just dwelling on every negative thing I could.
now I am back riding, I think I will give it a go again. it is all food stuff that I like anyway......just normally slammed between two slices of bread.

I kept all the recipes and info, si I will give it a go. cheers mate.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Do you need a mascot? :-bd
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Im in , could do with losing 2 stone , spent nearly all 2015 off bike due to surfing accident put 3 1/2 stone on . Its taken ages to lose just over a stone.......must try harder
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Tony, I'd be interested in the lfhc info and recipes if you can post them/ link to them :-bd
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Considering that ScotRoutes photos from the Highland Winter Bivy show just how fat a knacker I really am I really,really need to join this.

Like ton I've done low carb thing and dropped stones, looks like I need to go and refind that particular 'me'.

I have quite a few plans for next year and being at least a couple stones lighter would greatly assist me in these matters.

Besides I've a fair bit of cycling gear that no longer fits, being an Aberdonian I begrudge shelling out for kit unnecessarily....

Neill.
Give the dirt a little room.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'm game, need to shift my beer belly, this could be just the motivation I need.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Me me me me me me me me. Way too fat and can't get up hills. Im a good 20 pounds overweight so anything to add a bit of motivation would be help.
I'm just going outside ...
ton

Post by ton »

so, just got off the creaking groaning bathroom scales.
with a opening gambit of 21.6 stones.
beat that gents.............. :oops:
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Just more of you to love :grin:

I'll give this a go as well.
I’ve been abart a bit
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'll weigh in in the morning once I've had a chance to ' lighten the load' :lol:
Fat tyre kicker

I thought we were starting in January :shock: if we weigh now then
Again in Jan we could really scare ourselves :o
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh I'm happy to wait until January. Just a damage limitation exercise between now and then with Xmas functions :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh I'm happy to wait until Januaryfor an official start. Just a damage limitation exercise between now and then with Xmas functions :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

i started on sunday.....health reasons. and joints packing in, and i need a head start......... :grin:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Nutritional Ketosis is all the rage, but don't believe the hype. Animal proteins, especially IGF-1 in meat and Casein found in dairy are strongly linked with increased rates of cancer, especially colorectal. Argue against it, but the evidence is there. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/food-as-medicine

I've been on a 100% plant based diet for 3.5 months now, and not only have I dropped 7 Kg, I feel amazing. Also, no increase in exercise, I do about 100miles a week/10000ft climbing, but was doing that beforehand too.
Fat tyre kicker

:grin: ..a head start, why not :-bd