Musings on a Spanish Coast to Coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: Musings on a Spanish Coast to Coast

Post by pistonbroke »

Personally, having ridden the first 200 miles of the route, I'd be looking to ride something a bit more comfy off road. The gravel roads here are not as packed down as forest roads in the UK, they can be quite slippy as the surface is dry and marbly. My ideal bike would be a rigid 29er with 2" plus tyres and avoid panniers as the mountings could take a beating. That said, my most used bike at the moment is a 'crosser but with 40mm tyres but that's used mainly for day rides. Not sure if that helps but if you've got a choice, I'd advise MTB.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

There's a bit of roughish going but it's worth it for the views https://youtu.be/1BeIdgxEJBc
Chew

Post by Chew »

Duncan, keen on this. I'll let you know in the new year if I can commit or not.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Same here, pretty much have this in the calendar but need to make sure the year comes together before hitting the go button.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You'll be most welcome, I'm full of cold at the moment so been doing some virtual recceing, been looking at flight options as well. By far the cheapest deals to Reus on Friday 5th and back from Bilbao are from Stanstead with Jet2 and Easyjet but that's a bit of a ball ache for the north. Worth looking at Jet2 from Manchester on Sat 6th and back with Easyjet to Manchester the following Sunday evening at 5 o'clock £80 plus bike each way, unless you fancy cruising back from Bilbao to Portsmouth.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

If this is still going ahead, I'm very much interested in joining in. The route is incredible.
All being well, I ought to be living in Catalunya within the next 6 months too.
Firmo
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Very much so, I've been back to the UK over Christmas doing the rounds of friends and family so not been updating the thread. At the moment I've got firm(ish) yes from 4 forumites and a couple of Spanish friends, the transfer of bike bags etc from Reus to Bilbao is agreed by Mrs PB. If the numbers don't go bezerk, I'm thinking of it as a group ride but if you prefer to do your own thing then fine so long as you have some means of us keeping an eye on your progress.
Where in Cataluña are you planning to live?
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

A group ride sounds like a good idea, though I'm fine about riding solo too or breaking in to smaller groups.

We haven't got a definite place lined up yet. I'm back in Barca on the 15th for 5 days looking at property and areas, then back out again with wife and kids mid-Feb. The places I'm going to view are all between 90mins north and 40mins south of Barcelona along the coast (some a bit further inland).
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Dave Barter wrote:I'm very interested as well, but sadly my Spanish is non-existent. I'm guessing a decent amount of pointing can get you by?
All you need Dave...."Dos cerveza, por favor!" After that, it'll all be pointing, but you can point at anything and not really care about the result. :)

@PB - still looking @ 6/5 start?

Greetz

S.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Ok, I am pretty much sorted for this.

Just trying to work out when we are likely to roll into Bilbao so that I can get flights sorted.

It sounds like we should be there for Friday evening but that is if everything goes well.... whilst i'd love to be on a plane late Friday night (there is a race in North Wales i'm eyeing up for that weekend) I suspect it might be better to look at the flights on Saturday mid morning (could still race) or the sensible thing is to book for Sunday afternoon.

Being realistic I know the answer....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Scattamah, yes 6th of May is D Day. I have planned about 100km on the first day which gets us to the river Ebro. Many of the charter type carriers get into Reus before lunch so there's time to build up bikes and ride into Tarragona. Mbnut is flying from Stanstead and has found a cheap flight on Friday which is also fine.
Reus isn't far from us so we can do pickups on Friday as well.
Mbnut, I'd definitely go for Sunday flights, I think we'll need 8 days to do the mileage. There are lots of castles and villages on the route which are worth exploring, it'd be a shame to be rushing and not get the most out of the trip.
A castle on the route earlier.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Firmo, I've pm'ed you, if you want any help w/c 15th, let me know.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Wow... that is some castle!

Ok, so now accepted that i'll not be racing so happy with Sunday flights.

Will get them booked.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mbnut & poss Jameso, Easyjet flights Bilbao-Stanstead on 14th and 15th of May have just gone on sale for €30 plus bike Obvs.
jameso

Post by jameso »

PB, thanks for the tip. Another ride opportunity has been grabbed for April though so I doubt I'd be able to do this in May now. Shame .. had been thinking about how good our trip across N Spain was and would still like to do something like this again.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Pistonbroke....I'm in this will be my only opportunity to ride abroad this yr on an organised trip the dates fall good Im off from the 3rd to 14th!! :-bd

Need to look at travel options now then!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike. You flying from stanstead?
Looks a cheap option. I've been thinking about this one and Gairy's later in the year.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm in as well once travel logistics are sorted
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Been looking at logistics. Stanstead is out as getting there from Devon is expensive and time consuming.
Looks like a flight from Bristol to Barcelona is favourite on the Thursday. Cycle along the coast to the start Friday (60ish miles) or a train as a last resort (1.5 hrs and less then 10 euros).
Retuned flight on the following Sunday Bilbao to Bristol.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Mike and I were talking about this last night...flights to Barca are going to be a lot easier to come by, and if the terrain is kind along the coast it would make an easy ride in for the start.

Greetz

S.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

If the starts Terragoa (I think that's it) after a quick Google there's a few routes mostly along the beach front.
This one shows the hill profile.
https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/141812 ... 02/terrain
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

That's ace....cheers Rufus. Looks like it's perfectly doable without too much fuss.

Greetz

S.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I'm also considering this..

Do Ryan Air still use Reus airport for Barcalona? Depending on flight times there should be half decent transport options between the two. There definitely used to be a service from Barca bus station to Reus..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mike

Post by Mike »

So im going to look at flights now as this is a defo for me. Ill look for flights to barca and let ya know what i decide on be good to travel down with others and ride along the beach to the start. Looking at the return options of ferry to portsmouth then get back from there or fly back, whichever i decide on ill need to be back by sunday night
Mike

Post by Mike »

Right so a quick look at flights out and my best option is from BHAM to BARCA with Monarch on thurs 4th leaves at 0640 and arrives in spain at 10am. Price inc bike ( 30kg) £120 ill probably book this flight this evening so lets hope it doesnt get cancelled or change of dates :lol: just need to look at return now

Returning for me works best to fly with easyjet on the sunday night at 10pm from Bilbao back to LDN STAN this maximises time and gives another full day of riding if needed or sight seeing around BIL

cost 65 inc bike

Looks like my may plans are sorted now :-bd