Musings on a Spanish Coast to Coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Re: Musings on a Spanish Coast to Coast

Post by rufus748 »

Mike, looks like you've got some cheaper options from Birmingham. There's an evening flight with Norwegian airlines, £50 + £40 for the bike.
Skyscanner's your friend if you don't have it!
Andy
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Ok, so I have my flights booked.

Outbound

Depart London Stansted Friday 5th May at 08.45 arrive Spain Reus at 12.00

Return

Depart Spain Bilbao Sunday 14th May at 22.00 arrive London Stansted at 22.50

I opted for the Friday as it was easier to match up out and in to the one airport (Stansted).

The late flight back on the Sunday should ensure a lack of pressure regarding finishing the ride. A relaxed bike pack and some dinner before leaving being preferable to a mad pack and dash.

I live in Maidstone, if it helps I am happy to pick up/drop off anyone that my flights tie in with so long as they are not more than 10 miles off my route to Stansted.

Excited now.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andy i saw that flight but was guessing a morn flight be better that way i can ride thurs down the coast and maybe do a bivvy halfway near beach somewhere and not have to rush to start on sat jus abit more chilled :wink:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike wrote:Andy i saw that flight but was guessing a morn flight be better that way i can ride thurs down the coast and maybe do a bivvy halfway near beach somewhere and not have to rush to start on sat jus abit more chilled :wink:
Cool, just didn't want you to miss a cheaper possibility. I'm looking to fly on the Thursday. Cheap Hostel Thursday night, put the bike together and ride down Friday.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andy heres my number 07834729508 drop me a message and ill have a chat with you. could be up for that too :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry, I've been out on the bike all day as it's been lovely here today, 98km mostly off road and local lanes. Seems there's been a flurry of flight booking and banter. Just to put everyone's mind at rest, it's all systems go for Saturday 6th of May. Seems Barcelona offers a bit more flight flexibility which is fine, the airport is on the south side of the city in El Prat de Llobregat so it's dead simple to get down to Tarragona either by train or riding, actually quite a nice ride through Sitges and along the coast.
For those flying to Barca, what are you doing about bike bags? In an earlier thread, I said that Mrs PB had offered to transport bags from Reus to Bilbao, if those coming to Barca can coordinate arrival times roughly, we can pick bags up on Thursday or Friday but at a nominal cost to cover fuel and tolls.
If you are planning to fly to Tarragona on Friday like Mbnut, we'll also pick up stuff, we live 40 mins from the airport. We also have a flat next to our house which sleeps 3 if you're friendly so no need to sleep on the beach! Arriving on Friday makes sense, more faffing time.
For those wanting to condense the trip into a week, we'll aim to start from Reus airport on Saturday morning, setting up bikes and dropping bags off (I'll bring tools to build up bikes) then ride the 10km or so into Tarragona for the ritual dipping of feet in the Med. The start is about 300 m from the train station for those wanting to come down from Barca.
Plan is to ride about 100km on the Saturday to a village on the bank of the River Ebro, grab some food and kip then a couple of longer days going West to pick up the Camino Del Cid for 250km to Burgos then another 250km north to Bilbao.
I'd recommend flying back on Sunday teatime or later as it gives us time to pack bikes on Sunday and not turn the trip into a clock watching exercise, missing the chance to explore some of the castles and villages en route.
Hope this answers the PMs I've received as well as fleshed out some more aspects of the trip.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice one Duncan!!

Im all booked up and ready to fly :-bd

Im flying from brum at 715pm on thurs night and getting into Barca at 1025pm

My return flight is the same as mbnut, Bilbao-ldn stan at 10pm! Loads of time to not rush on sunday packing up :lol:

Looking forward to this trip and see you all out there at somepoint.

Cost of flights £150 get in!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My flights booked

Leaving Bristol 4th May to Barcelona arriving 21:45
Leaving Bilbao 14th May at 16:40 to Bristol

Ye and Ha!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice one Dave, see you in Barcalona

By my calculations we will have 9 days of riding :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Flights booked, looks like I'm on the same flight as Dave from and back to Bristol.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Might just be able to fit this between contracts. Consider this post an interested bookmark.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd Andy make it happen pal be a good trip
HUX

Post by HUX »

Guys, If there's room for 1 more I have recieved the green light from head office for this trip so just need to sort out some leave at work!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hux, you're welcome, more the merrier. Don't know where you're based but I noticed a Jet2 flight from E Mids to Reus on the 6th which gets in at 11.25am for £58 + bike and return from Bilbao to Stanstead on Sunday evening with Easyjet is £25. There's a few on the Stanstead flight so it may be worth clubbing together for transport.
On a broader note, could those who have booked flights PM me with their e mail addresses so I can make a group to send the link to the route to. Also, can you let me know your bike preferences, I have said that my choice would be a hardtail 29er given the gravel roads here can be quite rough and loose. Without too much willy waving could you also indicate your riding likes and experience, there are some sections where there is a road or off road choice.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

HUX wrote:Guys, If there's room for 1 more I have recieved the green light from head office for this trip so just need to sort out some leave at work!
Great news Hux! See you there.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I'm in,flights booked arriving thurs night with mike....just need to sort work out now :???:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike, Hux, Scott, Dave can you pm me your emails please? (Jase I've got yours)
It seems we've all been talking about accommodation on Thursday night in Barca.
Mike suggested a hostel a mate used and I looks ok. I'm happy to book it for the group, just need to confirm numbers and everyones thoughts.
We all arrive within an hour at the airport so it should work out.
Andy
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike, Hux just found yours from Tuscany so unless it's changed don't bother
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mine n hux email same pal. Yeah we're good for Thurs night chap :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike, Hux, Dave, Jase sent you an email.
Knowing my hotmail account it will be in your trash.
Scott, can you pm me yours please? Unless one of the above can forward it on?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Been out at a trail run today, it started at a local village that we'll be passing through on the trip. As it was a key site in the Civil War, the marshals were dressed in 1930's Republican military uniforms and the trophies were bits of schrapnel mounted on wooden plaques. Suffice to say that Franco wasn't very popular around here!
Had a thought about the logistics of the trip, especially for those who are flying to Barcelona on Thursday night and planning to ride down to Tarragona on Friday. There are currently 5 of you and all are returning on Sunday teatime/evening. If you are looking to pack bikes in cardboard boxes which can be jettisoned on Friday morning, I can get some boxes from my LBS which I'm quite friendly with and get them to Bilbao with Mrs PB. Finding anything approaching a bike shop open on a Sunday in Bilbao will be nigh on impossible.
Another thought, as it's about 50 miles down the coast road from Barca airport to Tarragona, we could crack on on Friday afternoon and actually start the ride. Nigel (Mbnut) arrives in Reus late morning so we can pick him up and be at the coast just after lunch. The only thing I'm not sure of is the location of the hostal the Barca crew are staying in, if it's back into town then this adds mileage.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

pistonbroke wrote:. The only thing I'm not sure of is the location of the hostal the Barca crew are staying in, if it's back into town then this adds mileage.
We havent booked it yet but yes I thinks it's in Barca. Looking at the very traditional sounding Black Swan.

I'd emailed a bike shop that appears to be on the end of the runway in Bilbao to see if I could book some bike boxes but not yet had a response. If you could get some that would be great, certainly take some pressure off.

Happy to start Friday or Saturday. There's a hostel in Terragona that works out at £10 each and thought we could have a pre-trip meal on the Friday night?

There's always the option of a train on the Friday if you do want to start earlier.

Easy either way.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It might also be worth looking at Castelldefels for accommodation on Thursday night, it's near the airport and on the coast road for Tarragona. Probably be worth getting a minibus taxi with your packed bikes and ditch your boxes there. I'm flying out of Barcelona next week, back on the 15th so could have a look at suitable places. Unless you're keen to go into Barcelona.
Unless the place in Tarragona will get booked up, which is doubtful, we can decide when to kick off once the full start list is known, there's still 1 or 2 to firm up.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Well, I've just sacked off a place on the Crystal Maze on the 16th May so consider me in. :-bd

Looking at flights now - getting out to BCN on the Thursday evening is a piece of proverbial, but my only flight back on the 14th is 16:55 - reckon that's achievable?

Will join the Thursday arrivers in Barca for pre-ride hostelry and relaxation as and when details become available.

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

There's also a Thomas Cook flight Manc to Reus direct on the Friday morn, works out about £91 inc bike but no hold luggage..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!