HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Chew, Taylor

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:37 pm

GregMay wrote:Suspect I'll be a bit busy that time next year so I'll not make it sadly. But, I'll happily continue as race commentator as ever.

We could do a double act again :-bd
User avatar
Ian
 
Posts: 4350
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm
Location: Brecon

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Richpips » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

So an ITT starting on the 14th April aka Good Friday has been pencilled in. :wink:
Blogs - Minipips | Richpips
User avatar
Richpips
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Peak District

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ianfitz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Richpips wrote:Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

So an ITT starting on the 14th April aka Good Friday has been pencilled in. :wink:


Ace! Will look forwards to watching the dot(s) :-bd
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby GregMay » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Ian wrote:
GregMay wrote:Suspect I'll be a bit busy that time next year so I'll not make it sadly. But, I'll happily continue as race commentator as ever.

We could do a double act again :-bd


Sounds most excellent to me :)
Image
User avatar
GregMay
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: Calderdale

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby AlanG » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 am

It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
Finishers from the last three editions (since HT became 550 miles) will have a guaranteed place. An ITT finish also assures you of a place. This year I will take up to 60 names again and expect 40-50 to make the start line come May 27th. I’ll keep 10 places for women but won’t limit it to that should there be more female applicants. Also a minimum of 10 places will be for overseas riders, who should have experience of tough bikepacking routes/races where they are from.
The route for 2017 will be almost identical to this year. No E-bikes in the group start please!
AlanG
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 am

Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300.

And the Cambrian Trail, too? https://cambriantrail.wordpress.com
User avatar
Ian
 
Posts: 4350
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm
Location: Brecon

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby AlasdairMc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 pm

AlanG wrote:No E-bikes in the group start please!


The fact you're posting this suggests you've been asked this question before?

I think I'm going to enter again as I'll have some time to actually ride my bike this winter and recover a modicum of fitness.
AlasdairMc
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby voodoo_simon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

AlanG wrote: No E-bikes in the group start please!


I'd let them in (not wishing to start a debate on e-bikes though). Would be entertaining seeing them carry them up the hills and making the battery last for 550KM :lol: Those things weigh in easily over 20kilos...
voodoo_simon
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby littlegirlbunny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Absolutely not

Or well, maybe I'll enter and then get really fit training for it, even though the chances of bailing two days before the start line are higher than a high thing :-bd
littlegirlbunny
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:22 am

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby AlanG » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 pm

The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?
No one has asked about E-bikes yet but they are getting good now and gaining in popularity so it is just a matter of time.
I did the MB-Race in the Alps this summer, there was an E-bike category in the 100km (5000m climbing) route and the winner got round in 8hrs30. It took me 11hrs24 on a normal (geared 29er) bike.
AlanG
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:56 pm

AlanG wrote:The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?

Looking on the website, no one appears to have gone outside of four days, so that seems reasonable.
User avatar
Ian
 
Posts: 4350
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm
Location: Brecon

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ianfitz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 pm

The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ScotRoutes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:17 pm

ianfitz wrote:The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.

Aye, but there's only a few (dark) weeks left to do it before the entry date :-)
User avatar
ScotRoutes
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ianfitz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
ianfitz wrote:The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.

Aye, but there's only a few (dark) weeks left to do it before the entry date :-)


That's very true. It may not feel so easy st this time of year! I've certainly had some weathery fun in northern Scotland at this time of year :wink:
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby AlanG » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Just to be clear, a qualifying ride does not guarantee you a place, you just go into the pot with the others that have done suitable rides. If there are 80 riders after the 60 places the ones who've done the most, biggest, hardest qualifying rides will get the nod! You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.
AlanG
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ianfitz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:56 pm

AlanG wrote:
You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.



I'm hopeful of a sub 8 day finish next year. :wink:
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Dave Barter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Ian wrote:
AlanG wrote:The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?

Looking on the website, no one appears to have gone outside of four days, so that seems reasonable.


I may be about to change that...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
User avatar
Dave Barter
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Zippy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Dave Barter wrote:
Ian wrote:
AlanG wrote:The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?

Looking on the website, no one appears to have gone outside of four days, so that seems reasonable.


I may be about to change that...


Ditto. :|
User avatar
Zippy
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Essex

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby padonbike » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

So an ITT starting on the 14th April aka Good Friday has been pencilled in. :wink:

I plan to be up there that week doing my reccy but will be starting earlier that week.
padonbike
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby padonbike » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm

PS am I a little bit sad or does life seem a little bit more complete when the HT posts start rising up the BB forum? :roll:

(Actually - don't answer that!) :geek:
padonbike
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Richard G » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm

AlanG wrote:Just to be clear, a qualifying ride does not guarantee you a place, you just go into the pot with the others that have done suitable rides. If there are 80 riders after the 60 places the ones who've done the most, biggest, hardest qualifying rides will get the nod! You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.

On that subject, on which date is that decision likely to be made? You know, so appropriately ridiculously hard qualifying rides can be done in time...
User avatar
Richard G
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South Wales

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby ianfitz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:04 pm

padonbike wrote:
PS am I a little bit sad or does life seem a little bit more complete when the HT posts start rising up the BB forum? :roll



Yes. And yes.

:grin:
Image
ianfitz
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Bearbonesnorm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:06 pm

On that subject, on which date is that decision likely to be made? You know, so appropriately ridiculously hard qualifying rides can be done in time...


It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!



I may be about to change that...

Ooh
I believe in the right to arm bears!
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
 
Posts: 12475
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby GregMay » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 am

Fish Pizza again Dave?
Image
User avatar
GregMay
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: Calderdale

Re: HT550 - 2017

Postby Dyffers » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

AlanG wrote: Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.


I'm certain I can finish, and in a competitive time. But I am without any of those rides above, no time to do any between now and the end of November and probably 100+ people vying for places. I'll have to see how far my palmeres gets me in 5 weeks.
User avatar
Dyffers
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Darkest Dorset

PreviousNext

Return to General banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alpinum, BigdummySteve, maddyutah, TheBrownDog and 3 guests