HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stucowp

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by stucowp »

I was confident I would finish in a competitive time this year as well do not underestimate the strain you will put the body under! The things I thought might let go muscle wise didn't it was the one thing I didn't even consider that went, my achilles still isn't fully healed and I'm sitting on the fence about entering as I don't want the same thing happening again until I know it's totally healed.
Nothing will crush your confidence more than failing as I found out the hard way!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Just reread my post and thought it came across a bit whiny, sorry! My point is I've done half a dozen two day 600km rides and another half dozen three or more day 1000km+ rides, and three BB200s, so I've got a pretty good handle on what body parts cause me distress after three 18 hour days in the saddle. Not being blasé at all, just thinking I have as good an idea as the next man on the start line.

But they're not quite as hardcore at the qualifiers, more like asking does a completion of the full course of the Turin-Nice 700km count as a qualifier; a good effort but perhaps a little to much on the side of touring rather than ITTing?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dyffers wrote:Just reread my post and thought it came across a bit whiny, sorry! My point is I've done half a dozen two day 600km rides and another half dozen three or more day 1000km+ rides, and three BB200s, so I've got a pretty good handle on what body parts cause me distress after three 18 hour days in the saddle. Not being blasé at all, just thinking I have as good an idea as the next man on the start line.

But they're not quite as hardcore at the qualifiers, more like asking does a completion of the full course of the Turin-Nice 700km count as a qualifier; a good effort but perhaps a little to much on the side of touring rather than ITTing?

Didn't strike me as whiny, more so the voice of someone who really wants to ride it! .

I gather that the need for qualifiers is twofold; firstly due to increasing interest in the group start and secondly to ensure that people know what they are getting themselves into. Sounds to me like you very much do but send the details to Alan and let him decide.

These qualifying criteria are very similar to last years.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There's no way I'm getting a qualifying ride in in the next 5 weeks either, so you'll just have to join me in 2018. ;)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Alan's event, so Alan's rules.....

I'd suggest asking very, very nicely. I can imagine any whiny/stroppy emails are swiftly discarded :wink:
(Not saying your post was)

It'll be quite a task to whittle down all of the applicants to the 60 available spaces, so the qualifying rides are a good way of making things that bit easier. As it's been said, having completed the qualifiers still doesn't guarantee anyone a space. I'm sure it's more a case if Alan thinks you're enough of a bad ass :-bd

P.S. I know people mean well discussing things on other sites, but I can't imagine Alan appreciates having his name banded about everywhere
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

This event has been going for long enough that anyone who is seriously interested in an entry should know what the score is with securing a depart place long before October.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Can anybody send me a link to the 2016 route as I have found a god n strav but I don't know what year it's from. Also weather wise is it a bad idea to try it at this time of year?

Thanks

D
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Richpips wrote:This event has been going for long enough that anyone who is seriously interested in an entry should know what the score is with securing a depart place long before October.
Some of us are new to this stuff.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Chew

Post by Chew »

Richard G wrote:
Richpips wrote:This event has been going for long enough that anyone who is seriously interested in an entry should know what the score is with securing a depart place long before October.
Theres plenty of info around on the forum and Alan said the same things this time last year.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did actually look at last year's thread, there didn't seem to be anything specific on when the qualifying rides had to be done by. Obviously there's info on when entries start, but that doesn't detail when the final decision is made on the start list.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Chew wrote:
Richard G wrote:
Theres plenty of info around on the forum and Alan said the same things this time last year.
But people know about the HT550. Hear the stories, follow the dots. They get excited about it. They want to ride it.

That's what happened to me anyway :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Did you miss out a section at the beginning as it seems to be less km's over all and day 1 route looks like it misses a section? Your track is green the other ht550 track is the cyan with red border.
ht550.jpg
(74.42 KiB) Downloaded 5351 times
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Haha. No I'm pretty sure I followed the correct route!

This year took the early right turn into Glen Lyon. The past years went much further north up the WHW and then past meananach Bothy to join up with this route just before laggan trail centre/cafe.

Also different getting out of fisherfield and a shorter route over torridon.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

dlovett wrote:Did you miss out a section at the beginning as it seems to be less km's over all and day 1 route looks like it misses a section? Your track is green the other ht550 track is the cyan with red border.
ht550.jpg
That map is shocking.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Richpips wrote: That map is shocking.
So it wasn't just me then? I thought it was my colour blindness being generally spiteful.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Richpips wrote: That map is shocking.
So it wasn't just me then? I thought it was my colour blindness being generally spiteful.
I couldn't see it in a phone. Am somewhat colour blind though.

Did feel the need to adress the query that I'd gone the wrong way though! One DQ out of the three of us that finished together is way more than enough...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So is this GPX file incorrect then as it seem different to your strava data?

I'm just after the correct one for 2016.

Alan can you send me the official one please?

RE the colours, I changed them so they would stand out, they aren't the normal ones I use.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

dlovett wrote:So is this GPX file incorrect then as it seem different to your strava data?

I'm just after the correct one for 2016.

Alan can you send me the official one please?

RE the colours, I changed them so they would stand out, they aren't the normal ones I use.

Not incorrect, just old I'd guess. I don't know what gpx you have but the route that is on the strava links that I posted is the exact route for 2016. It is different from the route from other editions of the HR550/440, in the ways I have described, it has changed every year. And (I understand) will be a little different next year too
Last edited by ianfitz on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Yep the gpx won't attach. I got the route from another rider who did it the same time as you. He must have gone another way then.

Cheers
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The green route is the correct one. The red/cyan one is the old version.

Alan said (in the cafe in Knighton) that he wasn't expecting any major changes next year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My point is I've done half a dozen two day 600km rides and another half dozen three or more day 1000km+ rides, and three BB200s, so I've got a pretty good handle on what body parts cause me distress after three 18 hour days in the saddle. Not being blasé at all, just thinking I have as good an idea as the next man on the start line.
A finish on the 2014 BB200 used to count as a qualifier, I'm assuming it still does.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, I'm a bit confused by the selection process now. I assumed that anyone with a qualifier would have their name put in a hat and selected by ballot but it seems to be a bit more selective than that so all that background about additional rides will come in handy.

And I guess the day will come when 60 previous completers apply :-)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

stucowp wrote: Nothing will crush your confidence more than failing as I found out the hard way!
As someone who has both failed to complete and actually completed the HTR, if anything I find it strengthens your resolve. You know how far you can get and what let you down, and then you change that.

For me it was riding lighter and smarter, introducing some deliberate discomfort to push me on. In 2013 I was frankly underprepared, but in 2014 I had my setup nailed and was driven to complete. You'll have your fancy new bike this time around and that's going to make a huge difference too ;-)