HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Howard

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by Howard »

Nikk wrote:Hard luck Howard. Take it from me, I wrote the book on pre-Fisherfield scratches! Twice I have scratched right there. I was not a happy chap both times. But it is the right decision, carrying a debilitating injury into Fisherfield is not a good idea.
Thanks. "not a happy chap" is an understatement! On the positive side though, I spent the afternoon in the RFC and got the opportunity to meet Neil and chat to many others who would have long gone by the time I would have finished. Every cloud.....
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I'm really interested to see how Phil Addyman responds with Neil and Chris up front. Phil is insanely quick, but last year took long sleep stops (relatively) in order to be able to sustain that pace over multiple days. He may be pushed by these two in terms of pace but almost certainly will be pushed by them in terms of sleep stategy.
Well I upped the pace even more, cut the sleep (relatively :wink: ), refined the tactics .... and still got burned.
But seriously, it was ace racing against such class athletes. I had the pleasure of being with Neil for most of the first 130km and was with Chris a bit too. I slipped my front wheel going over one of the many drainage ramps on the Corrieyairach and by the time I'd clipped in Neil and Chris had 20m on me and I would have had to totally red line to get back on, which I wasn't willing to do at that point.
Apparently, I was about 3hrs down at Oykel Bridge on day 2 early in the morning and actually closed to within an hour at Drumbeg stores, (so the owner told me). From there though, Neil said he opened the gas and I'm never very fast along my least favourite section to Ledmore.
It was a great race and I'm proud and happy to be a part of Alan's fantastic little event.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just home and sorting my kit out - that was totally amazing. Having started expecting my bad knee to put me out on day one I ended up back in under 5 days....
Highlights
Day 1 route (of course)
The top section - after the schlep of 2015, this year there was some great riding. Did Loch Merkland to Lock stack in 3 1/4 hrs. In 2015 it took me 4 1/2. Bob W and Pete Mc Neil were close by so we all stormed it.
Lochinver to Ledmore - the track to Loch an Gaimh was smooth and fast and the hike a bike section seemed far easier than before. Me, Pete and Ian PV rode as much as we could - some amazing techy riding, all with a back drop of stunning scenery
Getting Digs in Oykle Bridge with Bob W, Ian PV and Craig Mac just after the rain came on.
Riding over the Strath na sealga with water just brushing my (low) bb
The Post Path - By far my favourite bit of the route - lovely narrow trail contouring across the hill side, some nice nadgery stuff and a fine early evening after the grim weather through Fisherfield. Thanks to a tailwind I absolutely bombed it - Letterewe to Kinlochewe took me 2 hrs!
Seeing an eagle in Torridon
Riding 150 miles in 25 hrs on day 4/5
Nearly falling asleep on the military road past Glencoe, looking back to see two sets of lights descending the devils staircase, suddenly waking up and storming the last few miles.
Much Blethering on route with Bob W, Ian PV, Pete McNeil and Phil FT, as well as many others
Finishing on early Wednesday morning and being welcomed by Jenny G's folks :-bd

Lows

The midges - defo grade red this year....
Err thats it really, although the weather over the climb in fisherfield was proper horrible

PC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

just WOW!

Simply stunning, standouts of the highlights:

1. Minipips getting round, truly amazing and am full of respect.
2. Neil Beltchenko's time, the collective sound of jaws hitting the floor of the Kinlochewe Hotel was like a bomb going off.
3. The route. Just so varied.

Day one: Almost felt like scratching due to the humidity, I'd severe nausea and my vision was blurred. A midgy bivy at Invermoriston under a semi-trailer.
Day two: felt a lot better and got some good distance in. Bivvied by Loch Merchland.
Day three; blasted round Glen Golly and Bealach Horn but suffered a bit getting to Lochinver. Rain arrived on the Ledmore traverse. "bivvied" in the OBH!
Day four: got to Ullapool early, sorted out the SPOT, Fisherfield was fantastic but couldn't get any flow on the Postie's Path. Bivvied near the Easan Dorcha bothy.
Day five: got to Dornie before 0900, restocked and refreshed and decided to ride through to the finish. Got lost a couple of times near Fort Augustus, met up with Jenny Graham and we rode together back to the finish.

The SPOT issue: this was user error! Basically I'd started the unit but not started the tracking. My wife was on Islay and not tracking me so didn't know to tell me. It was only Ian PV who mentioned at Lochinver that I hadn't started that alerted me to the problem. Thanks to Greg for helping me out with the Doh! moment.

I hope I didn't bore anyone on the trail with my conversational skills :oops:

Thanks to Alan Goldsmith for a great experience.

Also thanks to Ian Fitz for the lift home.

Finally thanks to my wife for buying me a rather nice bottle of Ardbeg Kelpie malt whisky :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Superb effort all round guys, I'm in awe
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A few words here http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=10148

Don't worry. Nowhere near as many as last time!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

benp1 wrote:Superb effort all round guys, I'm in awe
+1 Well done everyone!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Just back in Bristol after a long drive home today. Slightly numb hands, sore arse, but otherwise in one piece. Had an absolutely fantastic time - thanks to everyone I rode with for making it such a brilliant experience (Petes G & M, Jenny, Bob, Craig, & Phil C mainly, and even the grumpy czechs - they both nearly managed a smile at the finish! :lol: )

And thanks to Alan for the event, route and the beer & doritos at the finish!
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I finished earlier this evening in just under 6.5 days after my rear mech died between Fort William and Kinlockleven and I had to bodge a (very unreliable) singlespeed setup.
Really pleased to have finished as I did given how little training I did and how poorly prepared I was.
Massive thanks to Howard for convincing me to continue on the morning of the second day when I very nearly scratched and very sorry to hear you had to scratch yourself.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I really loved it this year, everything seemed to come together perfectly. No real problems other than rear wheel issues that became bigger by the end. Some words below which I'll likely turn into a blog post with more words.

Day 1: lost maybe an hour on the Ben Alder climb with a tyre hole that wouldn't seal, stuck in an anchovy and made a mental note to bring a pump that's easier to use at higher pressure. Bivi after fish and chips, on the Great Glen Way.

Day 2: Passed Tim sleeping in a bus shelter in Invermoriston. He couldn't sleep easily on the tiny bench due to the risk of falling off, so tied himself to it with his tent. Expert level ingenuity!

Dynamo not working, so a night at the Oykel Bridge to recharge batteries (actual batteries as I was feeling fit). Nothing much special to comment on here, other than seeing two WW2 warplanes flying down the Glen I was in at the time. Sadly too fast to get my camera out, but it definitely happened...

Day 3: Bealach Horn was just great, the climb was faster and the traverse through the bogs wasn't as boggy as I remember. An early finish at Suileag Bothy, knowing that the Ledmore traverse in that weather could have been horrible.

Day 4: Met Anita on the Ledmore traverse, she'd missed the bothy turnoff so had erected her tarp instead - brave! Breakfast at the Oykel Bridge, Anita stayed back to recover, but she did press on later. En route to Ullapool I met a guy who had spent a night at a local bothy, and he didn't mention any other riders, so the route ahead was clear. A stop at Tesco in Ullapool to resupply, and the weather started closing in on the Dundonnel climb (desperate as ever). Descending off Dundonnel it cleared up again into a lovely day, and then I began the Fisherfield ascent.

Shenavall was packed, so I decided to cross the Strath na Sealga and investigate Larachantivore. Knowing that there was an emergency shelter, I figured a night in a garden shed would be acceptable, but the porch of the lodge provided perfect shelter from the wind. I'd probably call it my favourite bivi spot.

Day 5: Climbing out of Fisherfield, again not hating the push despite its toughness. By this point I was loving the whole route, proper type 1 fun. Descent to Carnmore was even better than I'd remembered, as I'd forgotten it had two parts! Everything changed at the Postman's Path. I wasn't a fan at all, a tough traverse with lots of obstacles and pushing.

A quick resupply at the Kinlochewe Stores, looking for a USB battery pack. Sadly their cabinet of 'The Things' included a dusty camcorder tape and an old torch so it was never meant to be. Several hours of electricity at the Whistlestop Cafe, I felt like I was holding court as so many riders came and went. Great food though, and the porridge from the all day breakfast menu made for a good starter. Torridon climb, much easier than in 2014, and the descent was simply sublime. The Jones was ideal on it, quick and direct and not as ridiculously underbiked as a rigid bike could have been.
Bivi just beyond Morvich campsite when I realised Camban would have been a step too far.

Day 6: I crossed the date line at Camban at 9am, because in 2014 I was faffing with a cracked rim at Camban at 9am on day 7 of my HT ride. Another tyre hole later in Glen Affric, this time at the sidewall. Anchovy in, and on my way.
I met up with Matt around this time, having seen him behind me on the climb into Glen Affric. We'd ridden together a few times already on the route, but from then on we rode as a pair. Tomich for bacon rolls in the post office cafe (another gem of a place), and late lunch in Fort Augustus, this time getting the pizzas we'd been looking forward to on day 1. Fort William in a headwind and rain, more of the same to Kinlochleven. Pitch black pushing up to the Devil's Staircase, some mist for good measure.
Just up from the ski centre, I flatted. My anchovy hadn't held, likely due to its position on the sidewall. Some more air (cursing the pump again), and then a few miles of riding. At the end of the Rannoch section, with no respite from the inflate/deflate cycle, a tube went in. Inflation complete, pump was removed, taking with it the valve stem. Tube #2 in, valve would not tighten. Typical! I left it as it was, fully inflated it at Bridge of Orchy, and we rode into Tyndrum at 6:23am for a greeting from Alan and a beer.

31hrs off my 2014 ride time, and I feel better at the end of it.
Last edited by AlasdairMc on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well done Ben, your mum can stop worrying now!

A long drive home there Ian.

My arse is about the only contact area of me that doesn't hurt!

Alastair - I saw the planes as well, I've a poor shot of them.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

whitestone wrote:Well done Ben, your mum can stop worrying now!

A long drive home there Ian.

My arse is about the only contact area of me that doesn't hurt!

Alastair - I saw the planes as well, I've a poor shot of them.
So I definitely wasn't imagining things!

As for contact points, my arse is fine too. A combination of Charlie's bum butter, Endura shorts and a Brooks Cambium I think. My hands don't hurt, mainly because I can't feel them!
Howard

Post by Howard »

Ben98 wrote: Massive thanks to Howard for convincing me to continue on the morning of the second day when I very nearly scratched and very sorry to hear you had to scratch yourself.
My pleasure. You really would have kicked yourself if you'd scratched for no reason. I'm still struggling with my decision - especially after reading Ian Fitz's epic. Makes me feel like a light weight woose :oops:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Alisdair, I'd forgotten about seeing those planes, a proper sureal moment!
Well done Ben, good work bodging a single speed as I've never managed to get this to work...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Top work everyone Image

I'm dead impressed with the pace, and the lack of attrition this year. The bar has been well and truly raised. This ride is really getting under my skin now!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Turn up next year, we can both suck at it together. :lol:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Howard wrote:
Ben98 wrote: Massive thanks to Howard for convincing me to continue on the morning of the second day when I very nearly scratched and very sorry to hear you had to scratch yourself.
My pleasure. You really would have kicked yourself if you'd scratched for no reason. I'm still struggling with my decision - especially after reading Ian Fitz's epic. Makes me feel like a light weight woose :oops:
Ribs are one of the things I think really justify a scratch, a punctured lung up there would be mountain rescue call out, you made the right decision (in my eyes).
Well done Ben, good work bodging a single speed as I've never managed to get this to work...
The sliding dropouts were both a blessing and a curse in this respect, they made it easy to bodge, but my superstar hub only has knurling on one side while the other is smooth, so any sudden power through the pedals caused the hub to slide in the dropout and the tyre to buzz the chainstay. Very frustrating.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Howard wrote:
Harness the dark side. Remember how it feels, it'll help reduce scratches in future.

But I'd agree that ribs are not worth risking. How ever frustrating it may be.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote:Top work everyone Image

I'm dead impressed with the pace, and the lack of attrition this year. The bar has been well and truly raised. This ride is really getting under my skin now!
I think the lack of attrition is due to several things:
  • The weather - last year especially but also this year, the weather has been relatively benign. 2014 & 2015 were pretty nasty weather wise.
  • Individual experience - people have more events and experience under their belts.
  • Reduced fear of the unknown - increased knowledge about the route, supply points, etc.
  • Better knowledge about nutrition and hydration.
  • Better knowledge about workable strategies.
Thinking about my ride there were definitely one or two wrong decisions that cost me time. I don't know how much time those cost but two navigation errors near Fort Augustus cost me over an hour.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I think the attrition rate is down to the strength of the field. Lots of experienced riders in there, and it was telling on the Friday in the Real Food Cafe how many people knew each other from other events.

Also, having seen a 12 year old just complete the route, the pressure was on... :-)
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

IMHO you learn a lot when you fail the Highland Trail. Not just about gear and strategy and your body, but about how to deal with that failure. Even though it feels horrible to have to scratch, it will make you stronger as well. I remember the first time I scratched in 2013, I was in tears of frustration and disappointment, and I am happy to admit it. The second time I scratched in 2014, it was more of a numb recognition that it was game over. It made last year all the more special for me, 3rd try. I honestly didn't think I had that tenaciousness in me.

Don't second guess yourself Howard. You made the right call, and at the right place. You have just upped the reward factor for when you do make it round again :grin:

Loving hearing all the accounts of peoples rides. I am jealous and wish I was able to have done it this year. Congratulations to all!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

That was quite an experience; more than a little "intense", and extremely rewarding to be part of, even in the middle of the pack, it still felt like racing. Having taken 3 years for a completion, I had put myself under considerable pressure, not least of all to justify Alan giving me a position on the start after a legacy of failures. It soon became obvious I was too hyped and needed to just relax a bit before this attempt ended in another disaster! Bits that stand out for me:

Day 1. Crashing on the Ben Alder descent, twice, resulting in a sore (but thankfully uninjured) wrist, loose rear hub and bent derailleur hangar. Can't thank Bothy Bikes enough for letting me use their workshop to do some (rushed) repairs until 15 mins after they should have closed. The cramps on the Corry pass from more over-enthusiastic riding where another warning to 'slow doon, ya baw-bag!'. Miserable midge infested bivi in the Invermoriston bus shelter, next to a late night party in the village hall...

Day 2. Mostly unremarkable, but steady progress at a sedate pace in ideal, 'Goldilocks' weather. Bivi by loch Merkland was midge free but woke up with condensation due to the still, humid conditions, so pressed on earlier than intended.

Day 3. Like many others have reported, the northernmost slog over the peat bog plateau felt much easier than before, almost even enjoyable! The descents off the Horn and into Kylesku where both sublime, and the breakfast at the hotel worth the short detour. With a good tailwind, the roller-coaster road was also a pleasure, and the pie shop delivered morale in warm pastry. Glen Canisp, however, was even worse than I remembered and definitely the low point of the whole ride. Just can't get my head round that area and lost loads of time doing a half-arsed plod, cursing this ridiculous route... Then it started to rain as I was squatting behind a rock... Joy! The lowest point of the event was being run off the road by an HGV on the road from Ledmore junction, a split second and centimetres from being roadkill, then watching the same arsehole do a similar thing to the rider in front, then get out of his cab and have a go at him. Un-fucking-believable.
Had to have a re-set at OBH so spent 10+ hours eating washing and sleeping, but felt much better for it in the morning.

Day 4. This was always going to be the crux. Progress was predictably slow - I am so bad at techy riding with a bike that is too big for me and the combined lack of skill and agility makes for a lot of pushing where others could keep rolling. The wind and rain hit on the big HAB in the middle of Fisherfield, and I was a bit concerned with my ability to stay warm on the descent, much of which was now too drenched for me to ride, but the fear of death distracted me from the incipient hypothermia! Having hated the Posties Path last year, I managed to get my head straight this time, and made acceptable progress, even getting very excited about the unexpected prospect of a hot meal in the Kinlochewe hotel. Imagine my disappointment when they stopped serving anything but crisps a few moments before I arrived at 2030. Gutted does not do it justice... But this was not all bad, as I managed to get inside the tearoom bothy whilst those dining lost several hours of riding time.

Day 5. With the sunniest day of the event, this was going to be a long push to the end. Breakfast at the cafe in Dornie was just the best, and finding a proper loo at the Jet station had the morale tank on full. Glen Affric was just a joy the whole length, and before long I was in Ft Bill for my first bit of night riding of the event. Progress was slow as I avoided all unnecessary risks that could end my ride at this late stage. The descent into Kinlochleven was challenging, but also comic; as I approached a tent, brakes howling, the noise from the poor startled camper as he was caught in my headlight was quite hilarious- but probably less for him! I had a few minutes sat down at the top of the Devios Staircase waiting for some more daylight and having a word with myself not to f*** this up at this stage. I thought it was all over after that last blast, but this ride keeps on giving, with an unbelievably strong headwind the whole way back to Tyndrum...

Completing was such a relief, and going sub 5 days an incredible bonus. It was inspiring to chat with so many people along the way; Alaisdair, Ben, Neil, Bob, Pete, Alan, Mike, Phil, Jenny, Ian, and others whose name elude me. The occasional update on the sharp end of the race, via trackleaders, was astonishing and motivating in equal measures. I thought finishing this would get whole ITT urge out of my system, but I am already thinking about the many areas where I could have saved time through improved efficiency, and wondering about what those legendary races in the US might be like...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi - I'm guessing you are Craig Mac -
Took this of you. (2015 vets please note water levels!)

Cheers
Phil C
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Well done all, some great rides out there this year. Sorry about the lack up updates, but I was on Jura and Skye with no signal - which was just an awful way to spend the past two weeks ... in the sun, awful :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you fancy beating Neil's time then here's his Strava log - https://www.strava.com/activities/1014352722 84hrs 44mins of which 68hrs51 were moving