HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by padonbike »

Not sure what you mean Alasdair.
Lee was DQ because her GPS totally failed and this resulted in her missing a small section coming near Lochinver - miles away from the Loch na Sealga crossing, which was barely above ankle height anyway.
She did all of Fisherfield & Letterewe - I should know she was chasing me!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lee also cut across the river further upstream and DIDN'T go to the bank at each side of the crossing.

Of course by then she'd already (unknowingly) gone off-route before Lochinver. Same reason I guess - GPS failure.
touch

Post by touch »

OK, back on topic of 2017 race:
The website says
gpx file for 2017 route not yet availble
Does that suggest there are changes planned to the route? or just a precautionary measure incase changes are forced for whatever reason?

Presumably the 2017 route will need to be published near the start of the year to allow for ITTers?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

<wild speculation>

I believe the plan was to go counter clockwise this year.

</wild speculation>
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I too think the DQ (what ever the reason) is fair. But basically just add an hour or so to Lee’s time. Still very quick and “up there”. She’ll surely come back with a very strong motivation.

Though not too sure about sub 4 day finish. 2016 was bone dry and fast as f**k. But then… Tom Rowntree wrote a piece comparing 2014 with 2015 and how much more efficient and more on the bike he was in 2015 vs. 2014, but yet … :

“I must emphasise how much harder it was in 2015 than 2014. I finished 26 minutes faster this year. In 2014 I spent around 22.5 hours stopped overnight in total compared to 15.5 hours this year. So I spent 6.5 hours more on the move in 2015. This was due to a combination of the cold, wet, windy weather and damp ground conditions both making the riding slower and also meaning that spending time in warm pubs and cafes recovering was more of a necessity than a luxury.

I think I'll take a break from the Highland Trail in 2016 and look for new adventures elsewhere” (Tom Rowntree) http://newretrotom.blogspot.ch/2015/06/ ... -2015.html

Will be fun to watch. And hopefully not too painful.

Good training and preparation to those riding the 2017 Edition :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote:<wild speculation>

</wild speculation>
:lol:

I've actually thought about doing it clockwise. At least that way you'd get to meet each of the participants after the start :grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Alan sent me the gpx a bit back, it's similar to last year's.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:
GregMay wrote:<wild speculation>

</wild speculation>
:lol:

I've actually thought about doing it clockwise. At least that way you'd get to meet each of the participants after the start :grin:
But if you do that this year you'd be following them Colin :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dunno what Alan said at this years start but last year he stated that doing the road alternative to Fisherfield as noted on the web page would get you a scratch. We had to cross the Strath Sealga by any means / route possible but he advised the gpx track was the best way over. The two main tribs of the river are generally shallower and easier to cross than at the 'official' crossing point at the loch and most walkers tend to cross just down from Sheneval bothy but the terrain between this crossing point and Larachantivore is a complete swamp. Probably quicker by the official route as its a good path on the far side.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Dave Barter wrote:Steve Large = weather fecked ;-)

Thanks Dave, at least I have a reputation for something :-bd

Let's see how the fast lot get on with the weather that's coming their way!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:Dunno what Alan said at this years start but last year he stated that doing the road alternative to Fisherfield as noted on the web page would get you a scratch. We had to cross the Strath Sealga by any means / route possible but he advised the gpx track was the best way over. The two main tribs of the river are generally shallower and easier to cross than at the 'official' crossing point at the loch and most walkers tend to cross just down from Sheneval bothy but the terrain between this crossing point and Larachantivore is a complete swamp. Probably quicker by the official route as its a good path on the far side.
Looked at the tracks on Trackleaders from this year's race and Lee Craigie looked like she took the walkers' route between Shenavall and Larachantivore and was around 20mins quicker than Phil Addyman who took the official route between those two points. Maybe the dry weather helped things.

I was a bit curious and checked on http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/ the Abhainn na Sealga is the boundary between estates hence no track/bridge crossing it. Also discovered that Sir Tim Rice (of Jesus Christ Superstar fame) owns the Dundonnell estate.

Well that's over a page of comments concerning fewer than a hundred metres of a nine hundred kilometre route :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

There was a chap who ITT'd the route before the group start (not Howard, but another chap who's name escapes me :oops: ). Anyway, he also short cut the crossing which I believe lead to a non-qualifying finishing time.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:There was a chap who ITT'd the route before the group start (not Howard, but another chap who's name escapes me :oops: ). Anyway, he also short cut the crossing which I believe lead to a non-qualifying finishing time.
Oli Huw?
Howard

Post by Howard »

Alpinum wrote:
Ian wrote:There was a chap who ITT'd the route before the group start (not Howard, but another chap who's name escapes me :oops: ). Anyway, he also short cut the crossing which I believe lead to a non-qualifying finishing time.
Oli Huw?
Alan told me just before the group start that Oli hadn't "claimed" a completion - so the issue of DQ didn't arise. Assume that is still the case or his name would be on the site one way or another.

On the subject of following the route exactly though, I checked with Alan before my ride about the turn off to get to the Postman's Path. The GPS descends the gully and then climbs up to Poolewe before doubling back - when there is a path that contours round. It was just an oversight when Alan edited the track with the change of route in 2016, but his advice was quite clear - follow the GPS track if you want a completion.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Howard wrote:[...]follow the GPS track if you want a completion.
That's it. Stick to it and all is good. It's not that complicated.
Alan is clear about it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Another question for vets/locals.

How the veggie/vegan food in the towns on the route? I'm guessing 'limited' to be a common response. Just wanted to check if there's anything good in Fort A, Ullapool, Fort B, etc.

Thanks
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mountainbaker wrote:Another question for vets/locals.

How the veggie/vegan food in the towns on the route? I'm guessing 'limited' to be a common response. Just wanted to check if there's anything good in Fort A, Ullapool, Fort B, etc.

Thanks

Main towns have shops where you can buy what you want. I had no issues with veggie - but stepped off vegan for the race.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

mountainbaker wrote:Another question for vets/locals.

Thanks
Plenty of veggie in shops and loads of pubs and hotels dotted around. A non-exhaustive list of food stops for you to Google for pub menus:

Bridge of Balgie
Laggan Wolftrax
Fort A
Invermoriston
Cannich
Contin
Inchbae Lodge
Oykel Bridge
Rosehall stores - EDIT: This might be closed
Kylesku
Drumbeg
Lochinver
Ullapool
Dundonnel (I think possibly slightly off course)
Kinlochewe
Strathcarron
Dornie
Fort William
Kinlochleven
Kingshouse
Bridge of Orchy (although if you're stopping for food this late...)
Last edited by AlasdairMc on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Wow, thanks Alasdair!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:but stepped off vegan for the race.
This is something I considered, but I'd really rather not. How did you cope on TD?!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mountainbaker wrote:
GregMay wrote:but stepped off vegan for the race.
This is something I considered, but I'd really rather not. How did you cope on TD?!
I didn't :)

I eat the way I eat for health reasons not ethical - so for three weeks I just ate whatever. I'd already planned to stop at a few healthy option stores on route and did so. Bailey and Justin who I rode with a bit were the same as me. Normally veg, but ate whatever when out there. Day after I finished I was back to eating "normal" or as well as I could in the US for two weeks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

[quote="AlasdairMc"
Rosehall stores
[/quote]Not unless it re-opened?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote:Not unless it re-opened?
Fair point. This was from memory and it was open when I passed in 2014.

There's a hotel just along the road though at the turning to Glen Cassley.
touch

Post by touch »

AlasdairMc wrote: There's a hotel just along the road though at the turning to Glen Cassley.
It's called the Achness Hotel (but it was shut when I passed at 14:30 on the sunday afternoon last year)
Last edited by touch on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote: I eat the way I eat for health reasons not ethical - so for three weeks I just ate whatever. I'd already planned to stop at a few healthy option stores on route and did so. Bailey and Justin who I rode with a bit were the same as me. Normally veg, but ate whatever when out there. Day after I finished I was back to eating "normal" or as well as I could in the US for two weeks.
Yeah, similar here, mostly for health reasons/benefits (I've lost 7kg in 3 months since going plant based), and environmental factors too. I have also eaten many animals in the past. But I'd prefer not to if I can help it. I may end up eating some pizza on HTR, but wouldn't go as far as meat.