HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by Ian »

GregMay wrote:Suspect I'll be a bit busy that time next year so I'll not make it sadly. But, I'll happily continue as race commentator as ever.
We could do a double act again :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

So an ITT starting on the 14th April aka Good Friday has been pencilled in. :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richpips wrote:Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

So an ITT starting on the 14th April aka Good Friday has been pencilled in. :wink:
Ace! Will look forwards to watching the dot(s) :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote:
GregMay wrote:Suspect I'll be a bit busy that time next year so I'll not make it sadly. But, I'll happily continue as race commentator as ever.
We could do a double act again :-bd
Sounds most excellent to me :)
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
Finishers from the last three editions (since HT became 550 miles) will have a guaranteed place. An ITT finish also assures you of a place. This year I will take up to 60 names again and expect 40-50 to make the start line come May 27th. I’ll keep 10 places for women but won’t limit it to that should there be more female applicants. Also a minimum of 10 places will be for overseas riders, who should have experience of tough bikepacking routes/races where they are from.
The route for 2017 will be almost identical to this year. No E-bikes in the group start please!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300.
And the Cambrian Trail, too? https://cambriantrail.wordpress.com
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

AlanG wrote:No E-bikes in the group start please!
The fact you're posting this suggests you've been asked this question before?

I think I'm going to enter again as I'll have some time to actually ride my bike this winter and recover a modicum of fitness.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

AlanG wrote: No E-bikes in the group start please!
I'd let them in (not wishing to start a debate on e-bikes though). Would be entertaining seeing them carry them up the hills and making the battery last for 550KM :lol: Those things weigh in easily over 20kilos...
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Absolutely not

Or well, maybe I'll enter and then get really fit training for it, even though the chances of bailing two days before the start line are higher than a high thing :-bd
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?
No one has asked about E-bikes yet but they are getting good now and gaining in popularity so it is just a matter of time.
I did the MB-Race in the Alps this summer, there was an E-bike category in the 100km (5000m climbing) route and the winner got round in 8hrs30. It took me 11hrs24 on a normal (geared 29er) bike.
Ian

Post by Ian »

AlanG wrote:The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?
Looking on the website, no one appears to have gone outside of four days, so that seems reasonable.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz wrote:The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.
Aye, but there's only a few (dark) weeks left to do it before the entry date :-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:
ianfitz wrote:The HT550 northern loop as a qualifying ride is the easiest option on that list I reckon.
Aye, but there's only a few (dark) weeks left to do it before the entry date :-)
That's very true. It may not feel so easy st this time of year! I've certainly had some weathery fun in northern Scotland at this time of year :wink:
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Just to be clear, a qualifying ride does not guarantee you a place, you just go into the pot with the others that have done suitable rides. If there are 80 riders after the 60 places the ones who've done the most, biggest, hardest qualifying rides will get the nod! You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlanG wrote:
You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.
I'm hopeful of a sub 8 day finish next year. :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ian wrote:
AlanG wrote:The Cambrian Trail definitely counts, that is a hard route. Shall we say sub 4 days?
Looking on the website, no one appears to have gone outside of four days, so that seems reasonable.
I may be about to change that...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Dave Barter wrote:
Ian wrote:
Ditto. :|
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Tom has told me that he has to finish the HTR this year as it's bugging him that he didn't finish last time. Kids eh?

I plan to be up there that week doing my reccy but will be starting earlier that week.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

PS am I a little bit sad or does life seem a little bit more complete when the HT posts start rising up the BB forum? :roll:

(Actually - don't answer that!) :geek:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

AlanG wrote:Just to be clear, a qualifying ride does not guarantee you a place, you just go into the pot with the others that have done suitable rides. If there are 80 riders after the 60 places the ones who've done the most, biggest, hardest qualifying rides will get the nod! You need to confident that you can make it round in sub 8 days too.
On that subject, on which date is that decision likely to be made? You know, so appropriately ridiculously hard qualifying rides can be done in time...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:
PS am I a little bit sad or does life seem a little bit more complete when the HT posts start rising up the BB forum? :roll
Yes. And yes.

:grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On that subject, on which date is that decision likely to be made? You know, so appropriately ridiculously hard qualifying rides can be done in time...
It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
Ooh
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Fish Pizza again Dave?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

AlanG wrote: Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
I'm certain I can finish, and in a competitive time. But I am without any of those rides above, no time to do any between now and the end of November and probably 100+ people vying for places. I'll have to see how far my palmeres gets me in 5 weeks.