Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Post by firestarter »

The head of my seatpost snapped but I must have overtightened it I presume. who is Scott and how would I contact him. As my local Evans are woeful
jameso

Post by jameso »

PM me if needed?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've sent you a message James thanks.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Hello in the forum.

I'm torn between pulling the trigger in this one or not. If I lived in the UK, it had been a no brainer. But I need to get this to mainland Europe. And then it will be a PITA if it doesn't live up to it, or with to many failures.

I get most people have problems with the seatpost ( makes me wonder why Evans just don't put on a 31,8 from now on, and be done with it).

Another issue I have is the sizing. It's all good and well with Evans very generic sizing on their page, but to me it's a bit to generic (one size chart for all MTB s) . So can any of you that has actually ridden it, recommend me a size. I'm 183 cm (6ft), and normal proportions (legs neither a stork or corgie, and arms neither Trex or Gibbon). Intended use, is as of this forum name.

Lars
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't know if it helps Lars but I'm 5'7" and have been riding a M. I could probably get away with a S quite easily, so I'd suggest that you'd be okay on a L. The seatpost aside (actually, not a problem I've encountered), the bike is superb and I really don't think you'd be disappointed even if it is a bit of hassle getting it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks Stuart.

That was what my gut was saying, the large that is. My worries would be if there is room enough for the seatpack on a large.
My current MTB is a giant xtc size M. But there I had to get a 400mm seatpost and stem is 90mm,in order to get my reach sorted.

But thanks for the quick reply. And the hassle getting it is not bad (it would be the hassle if there where issues I was worried about)

To be honest I'd rather have some of the surly, salsa line (like the new fargo and Cutthroat). But simply don't have the money for it :-)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'm 5'10 on a med could possibly use a large but med suits me spot on I think the only issue with these is the seat clamp and if you clamp an Allen bolt up it holds tight.

Plus point the wheels set up tubeless very easy

Great bike for the money
Bard

Post by Bard »

Hi Lars

I'm 6ft & my Ramin is a large. It's spot on for me. Plenty of room for a seatpack too.

Seatpost clamp aside, I can't fault it.

Cheers

Mark
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG (197.64 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Much appreciated all :-)

Bard. Have you got stock stem with the Jones?

Might be some follow up questions later on (tubeless, that whole excentric bb and what not)

Lars
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

For tubeless I just wrapped the rims in gorilla repair tape, stuck I'm some valves and sealant. Pumped up with my mini pump believe it or not. And went for a ride. They've held air ever since. My easiest tubeless conversion ever

As for the ebb I've had a few bikes with one and never had a problem in fact my road/bridleway bike has one too come to think of it.
Bard

Post by Bard »

LSJ wrote:Bard. Have you got stock stem with the Jones?
I had to change the stem from a 60mm to a 120mm I think. Grips are in roughly the same position as they were with the stock bars & stem.

They are Ergotec Space bars though, so probably have slightly different sweep to Jones bars.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks Stuart for messing up my head with those bars :-bd . I really like the Jones, but price is hefty. I'm from the part of Denmark where a person from Scotland would be considered a big time squanderer. so now I have even more to consider... Better have a long ride tomorrow to clear my head :grin:

How are they compared to the Jones? (I know I know, some like blondes others brunettes but give it a try)

Lars
Bard

Post by Bard »

LSJ wrote:How are they compared to the Jones? (I know I know, some like blondes others brunettes but give it a try)
Never ridden Jones bars but I really like these. I think they have less sweep and the loop isn't as big as on the Jones . They can be picked up for less than £20 online though so worth a punt.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/erg ... aid:790835
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks. I'll do a search in here to see if anyone have compared the two.

And my apologies for messing up your names. Late and no glasses on :grin:

And for me the Brexit is brilliant, it is getting cheap to buy stuff from your part of the world. Must suck for you lot though, as the opposite is happening for you.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

A new question. If I want a dynohub on it. Specs should be 100mm Quick Release 32 spokes 6 hole disc? Am I right?
You are probably all out having fun on the BB200 :-bd

Lars
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A new question. If I want a dynohub on it. Specs should be 100mm Quick Release 32 spokes 6 hole disc? Am I right?
Yep.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks. Pulling the trigger later today on the Ramin 3 plus. :-)
Bard

Post by Bard »

I bought one of these https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-juice for my Ramin & built a 29er front wheel on it. Not been using it long, but it seems well built. I'll be using on the BB200 this weekend so will let you know how it fares.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Much appreciated. And curious to see if the money (15€) saved over a Shutter Precision is worth it. And enjoy your event (very envious of all your activities over there, both the "serious" ones and the more social inspired events) :-bd

Take it use a Exposure Revo light with it?
I have scoured the interweb to see if it was possible to have a cycle2charge and then run a USB light with it (ie Bontrager ION 700 or 800). But weather I'm having a daft idea, or my Google Fu is broken, I'm not sure of :| Or going the safe route and charge a PowerBank and then charge the light of that.

Again, I do really appreciate the help and insight you have.

Lars
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have scoured the interweb to see if it was possible to have a cycle2charge and then run a USB light with it
I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work, the light will have an internal battery which should function as a buffer ... the dynamo is simply keeping it topped up.
Bard

Post by Bard »

LSJ wrote:Take it use a Exposure Revo light with it?
Picked up a Supernova E3 Triple as it was half the price of a Revo & I'm a cheapskate :roll:
Got it's first proper use this weekend & I was very pleased with how it performed. It even managed to give out some light whilst being dragged slowly across miles of tussock-covered Welsh hills :wink:
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks Stuart. I really appreciate you taking the time with helping me,especially with what you have been organizing this weekend. Really impressive.
With all you guys in here I got a Ramin 3 plus in the pipeline, a juice, Jones bar, cycle2charge and some lugCage from Justpedal on the way.

Looking forward to go out on it. And it will be a dedicated bikepacking bike of mine, so the 29'er will be used for fast short stints in the woods, and the racer for well yes, silly clothes and attitudes. (crashed the Ridley CX a month ago, and is a total write off, well fork, frame and front wheel)

By the way many of the USB light are not usable while charging...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I run a Revo and an ewerk at the same time from the Son 28 15 150. The ewerk feeds into a usb battery. The Revo lit up the night and the usb battery was full when I got to the finish despite recharging the garmin and the diablo a few times.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I have scoured the interweb to see if it was possible to have a cycle2charge and then run a USB light with it
I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work, the light will have an internal battery which should function as a buffer ... the dynamo is simply keeping it topped up.
I just reassembled my commuter dynamo light system as I took the revo on the TD. Even at road riding speeds I was only getting 2 leds lit up. I disconnected my replacement cycle2charge and it works fine. Either my warranty replacement cycle2charge is borked, its cable is borked or I'm doomed regarding dynamo lights!
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Not to reassuring Johnny :shock:

Do you run both the revo and the C2C in parallel and at the same time (as far as I understand from Stuart's review, in the comments page 2), that it's not possible. Not that I doubt your competence in any way. But curios so I get of to the best start, and not getting frustrated from the get go.
I am a bit worried since it's the cheap solution all the way (juice and C2C), I i had the money it would be different :lol:

Lars