Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

LSJ

Re: Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Post by LSJ »

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread. Moderater might move some of the posts to a new thread.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

LSJ wrote:Not to reassuring Johnny :shock:

Do you run both the revo and the C2C in parallel and at the same time (as far as I understand from Stuart's review, in the comments page 2), that it's not possible. Not that I doubt your competence in any way. But curios so I get of to the best start, and not getting frustrated from the get go.
I am a bit worried since it's the cheap solution all the way (juice and C2C), I i had the money it would be different :lol:

Lars
Yep, both wired up at the same time. Worked fine to begin with....for the TD I used a sinewave instead of a c2c and just charging or lights not together. Of course then the hub died after a few days.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

As a side note on this side of things I have a edelux 2 and a son28 hub along with a plug3 charger. When I cycle with the light on there is not enough power to charge is this a wiring issue or just how it is

Back on topic here's my ramin :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When I cycle with the light on there is not enough power to charge is this a wiring issue or just how it is
That's just how it is - lights or charging, either one or the other.
May the bridges you burn light your way
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Merci :-bd
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I can run an Edelux2 and charge my Pebble via USB-ewerk but I dont.
Light is on at night charging is during day.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

Price gone up this week to £800 - is this some kind of reaction to the plummeting £ ?
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

holdsteady wrote:Price gone up this week to £800 - is this some kind of reaction to the plummeting £ ?
I think so. It cost me 50£ being indecisive :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Price gone up this week to £800 - is this some kind of reaction to the plummeting £ ?
Don't know if it is or isn't but I do know a lot of stuff is set to rise 20% - 30%.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

is this some kind of reaction to the plummeting £ ?
Not my call on our RRPs but yes; nothing is going to get cheaper in the foreseeable future. New deliveries are coming in at prices dependent on when POs were placed, how much a company has hedged at what rate, but the $1.40ish funds will run out sooner or later. Discounted 2016 model bikes are the best deals I expect we'll see for 12 months at least, probably more. Ramin 3 isn't changing into 2017 so the RRPs been re-set.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Still some work to be done. Well a lot actually. Changing the front hub one of next few days. Grips and Bar tape, new brake hoses (so it becomes what my muscle memory is used to :shock: ).
Then the tideus process of fine tuning the seat hight and setback. So far there is a 90mm stem on it. Might change it to 100,or 120mm.
So far I'm happy, only had it out for a short spin.

Lars
Attachments
IMG_20161023_111336-800x600.jpg
IMG_20161023_111336-800x600.jpg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

So have done some km on it. It's a nice bike, handles well and predictable. No bikepacking with it yet though.
I have noticed some things though. Not sure how much of it is Evans fault or not (haven't written to them yet). Changing the rear derailleur to a zee, and noticed the cable was bad. Bear in mind I have only done 50km so far. The cable was fraied all the way to the shifter, it was so bad I couldn't pull cable out of the hose. Changed that, (always have cable and housing at home). No big problem, but disappointing and annoying.
Wanted to get another chainring on. As I undid the crankbolt on the nondrive side, the retaining ring snapped. On inspection the thin washer outside the retaining ring was on the inside. So ordered a new retaining ring, and hope the threads aren't sh*t. Lacked lube also!

So wanted to inspect the rear hub to see if all was in good order. And came upon a new problem. Never seen this before. I simply can't figure out how to take it apart. On the freehub side, 17mm spanner fits. On disc side... No place to use the cone spanner and no lock nut, it's just round? . I'm sure there is a way, but have never seen this type before, any advice would be appreciated.

Edit : problem solved with 5mm allen key. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_20161106_203440-800x450.jpg
IMG_20161106_203440-800x450.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
Last edited by LSJ on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Allen key in the end of the axle?
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Yep. A 5 Allen holds counter. Thanks :-bd won't take it apart until tomorrow
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Cracking. Be gentle with it, I've rounded one of those out before on a very similar looking hub. Still not sure how, those end caps are not normally that tight.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Watch out for the washer in there mine was bone dry and folded in half it made an annoying hard to find squeak. A bit of grease sorted it out.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Are they sealed bearing hubs on it?
jameso

Post by jameso »

restlessnative wrote:Are they sealed bearing hubs on it?
Yes, SB Novatecs. We have the axle conversion kits for 15mm F / 142x12 R as spares, the swappability between the Ramin and your other 29er was part of the spec decider there.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ta, Thought they looked it in that pic, the evans site says "Hubs:Joytech, Aluminium loose ball" which confused me

Not keen on the colour mind, but there's always paint...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ahem. Confusion reigns here too : ) They're Joytech SB hubs on our spec list - Joytech and Novatech are 2 parts of the same company.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

When i took my rear axle apart. It was sealed yes. With NKG printed on them. Thought also it was loose balls, that is why the confusion on the taking apart thing earlier.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

jameso wrote:
Yes, SB Novatecs. We have the axle conversion kits for 15mm F / 142x12 R as spares, the swappability between the Ramin and your other 29er was part of the spec decider there.
Now that is worth remembering :) I have been looking at new 29er wheels but if I got a 29er bike as long as the axles on the new bike were convertible to fit the ramin (as long as Evans sell the adaptors for the ramin wheels) I could buy a 29er with 15f and 142x12 rear that opens up even more possibilities :)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Jameso does the front hub convert to 15mm 110mm by any slim chance :) thanks
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

jameso wrote:
Where are these kits I'm unable to find them on the Evans site thanks
jameso

Post by jameso »

Kits - checked, seems they've not arrived yet. Need to get an ETA. The hub could fit a boost fork if there were 110mm end cap spacers and you spaced the disc over 5mm, but I'm not sure if novatec make 100>110mm spacers. So in theory yes, in practical reality not sure.