Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Owen

Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Post by Owen »

After reading Stu's review (and the current price drop) I like the look of the ramin 3 Plus https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ra ... e-EV264163. just wondering if Stu's got an update on how it rides, or if anyone has tried one.

Looks like a bargain version of the Genesis Longitude?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - anyone got one?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks like a bargain version of the Genesis Longitude?
Riding wise the two are quite similar, yet there are noticable differences. Regardless of price, I actually prefer the way the Ramin rides / behaves - I've said this before but I'll say it again, I do wonder whether it's a direct result of the Ramin having steel forks and maybe slightly wider rims. The Longitude's a very good bike ... but so far, I think the Ramin is better. An odd conclusion perhaps from someone with a love of steel frames but there you go :wink:

Would you like to know anything specific?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Owen

Post by Owen »

To be honest I'm looking for reasons not to get one!

Sounds good, only concern is the EBB, not needed on fact mind, just that I haven't had a bike with one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

only concern is the EBB, not needed on fact mind, just that I haven't had a bike with one.
EBB is a good thing, it'll allow you to make alterations for different wheel sizes ... it also won't cause you any trouble should you decide to leave it alone.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Owen, the ebb on my sir9 has been totally hassle free and has been an easy way of adjusting chain tension when running a hub gear. Now I've got a dérailleur on the bike I just totally ignore it and it is fine.
Mark
Owen

Post by Owen »

Cheers Mark, good to know.

(hello btw, decided it's probably cheaper to buy a new bike than fix my old one so I can finally do the TCW with you!) (and you can have your brakes back, haven't used them)

Think the longitude's are reduced in 18 at the moment but they're still £250 more
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think the longitude's are reduced in 18 at the moment but they're still £250 more
Serious question ... this ^ crops up quite a bit when I'm asked questions about the Ramin and I'm wondering quite what it is that people think the extra money's buying them? Is it a 'label' thing, does the name Genesis hold more appeal as a brand than Pinnacle or is it something else?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Serious question ... this ^ crops up quite a bit when I'm asked questions about the Ramin and I'm wondering quite what it is that people think the extra money's buying them? Is it a 'label' thing, does the name Genesis hold more appeal as a brand than Pinnacle or is it something else?
Could well be, how many cyclists do you hear saying they are going to buy a Raleigh? (Unless it's a shopper of course :wink: ). I did buy a Raleigh road bike once but they didn't call them Raleigh's, they called them Dyna Tech which had ti frame tubes bonded into steel lugs. Only road racer I have ever owned.

I must admit that I was seriously considering the Ramin 3 if my Inbred frame was beyond repair.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Steel frame?
Owen

Post by Owen »

Maybe it is a brand perception thing, Genesis have got a "bikepacking bike" image? Pinnacle is Evans own brand, bit like Boardman and Halfords?

Now being objective I know that's daft, pretty sure Jameso knows what he's doing (!), and they've got some interesting bikes in their range. Maybe the Ramin should cost more?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe the Ramin should cost more?
Odd as it sounds, you might be right. I do wonder whether £750 was too cheap for that sector of the market and by discounting it further, people are perhaps wondering what's wrong with it? I don't know but I can assure everyone ... there's nothing wrong with it at all :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

The own-brand bit's a funny one, I used to worry that people would think Genesis wasn't a 'proper' brand as it was owned by Madison. I guess that's why we don't put a lot into marketing with Pinnacle, just let the product speak for itself and accept that if you want brand image you may overlook them.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I looked at a longitude in the lbs it looked nice enough and was reduced to 750 had cages on the forks and lower gearing

I looked at a ramin not the plus as they had none in but it looked nicer. The spec of the ramin plus actually looks better the gearing would probably have been better for me 11-42 rather than the 36 but it's not too much to swap

Only worry is the seat post has been reported as slipping by a number of people on the net when I looked for reviews.

I also asked on here and seems positive for the ramin

So I ordered one :) it will be arriving sometime next week
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Here it is
Not right impressed with the facing mishap and touch up without mentioning it. But worse things happen at sea. Can't get out on it this eve tho :(

firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Well just done my local loop on it. Its nice. A bit faster than the fat bike in places a bit slower in others but overall faster and it felt easier. Also the tyres felt a lot more predictable. I like it a lot but I think it's going to need a bit of a lower gear than the current 32-36. Still playing with tyre pressures currently on 15r 13f will play more on Thursday. Tubeless was easy with valves and some gorilla repair tape. The tyres actually mounted and held air on rim tape believe it or not. Very impressed for the money. But my seat post slipped down an inch and I gather I'm not the first after reading the net reviews. I've Allen keyed it up this time so will see next ride out if it stays.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks nice :-bd Tyre pressures, I've seen 1psi per stone of laden weight (you + kit) then -1 for front and +2 for rear as a starting point. Worth getting a decent low pressure gauge as well - 1psi makes a big difference at these sorts of pressures.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'm 13 stone so that's about right. I have a decent gauge so I'll have a play I could probably go a bit less on both tbh
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Couple of upgrades :)
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

Was looking at a Genesis Longitude or somethng like a second hand Surly Krampus but favouring a Ramin 3+ now, look forward to reading part 2 of review on blog - also I can't see the comments on part 1 of the blog review - tried in a few different browsers but it doesn't work.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Firestarter, from checking some bikes the seat clamps are not great, unsure why as the spec hasn't changed in a couple of years but when the lever is done up hard the bolt was still under 5Nm. If it carries on try a plain bolted clamp, we have some FWE clamps we can let you have if you discuss at the shop. Some grease on the QR clamp might help but they don't seem great at the mo, swapping them out for future orders. Hope it's not a faff and apologies if so.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

James I mentioned to the shop the post problem and they suggested I bought a 31.6 post which wasn't my expected reaction
They said they knew nothing of a problem

BTW my bb when faced clearly had a bit of a slip and took paint off the seat stay and it had been touched up and they ended up with paint on the faced bit. I pointed it out and they said oh it's a bit of grease just coloured the paint. I pointed out that the grease appeared to have painted the faced material and got a shrug of the shoulders :(

Love the bike tho
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Oh what size is the seat clamp BTW. Thanks
jameso

Post by jameso »

: / RE BB
Swap out the frame or get a goodwill credit if needed, we can do that if it's clearly a factory cosmetic.
The clamp is 34.9, a post that fits w/o the shim could fit better but most likely to do with post OD tolerances. Shims all seem OK.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Thanks but the shop in question really aren't bothered at all I'll not be using them again. I'll buy a new seat clamp and see how I get on.

The bb is just annoying more in the fact they didn't mention it then tried to bs me

Cheers
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Ive spoken to jameso and scott from pinnacle about the seat clamp , seatpost slipping issue before and Ive received a email from Scott saying id get some vouchers etc for what ive spent plus a little bit extra but havent heard anything since !
Im using a new clamp and a new 31.6 seatpost and seems sorted now :)
the bike is ace for the money, my front bag has taken some of the paint off already on the head tube and top of the fork but thats my own fault for not using enough heli tape, also need to lengthen the hoses a bit to save them getting squashed under the bar bag
overall im very very happy with it and more than happy to recommend it