Too Early for a YD300 thread?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Too Early for a YD300 thread?

Post by Richard G »

I'm surprised by this:
Colin & I were proud of what we managed but even happier that we were the only fatbikes to complete the course.

Was the fatbike the right bike?? No chance, it’s too heavy, rubbish on tarmac and no one else finished on a fatty. Would we choose a different bike if we done it again? Nope – We love our fatties!
Must have been a ton of DNFs as there were loads of fatbikes there. I remember passing "Team Fatty" a few times on the first day whilst shooting ahead then waiting for my riding partner. Seemed like they were having fun... at that point anyway.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Necrobump...

...any bearboners doing it this year? Assuming my shoulder is healed I'll be back again. This time I've got a point to prove.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm in. I hope I've recovered by then :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I'm signed up.
Gonna be an epic.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Excellent, looking forward to seeing you both. :)
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:Excellent, looking forward to seeing you both. :)
Trying to decide what not to take.
Light and fast
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm hoping to do it in one shot (assuming I'm healthy), but I'm still taking my tent just in case. If it's utterly glorious and absolutely no chance of rain then I'll consider going ultralight, but that's not going to happen.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:I'm hoping to do it in one shot (assuming I'm healthy).
:o
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's OK, I'm almost never fully fit, so it probably wont happen. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I cant make the group start but I'm going to do it as an ITT later in July. I did think about the option of riding straight through but as I'm doing it partially to submit with my HT550 2018 entry I wondered if I'd be better off biving for 4 hours or so to show to Allan that I'm able to ride, sleep and then get up and continue riding?

I'll be interested in peoples reports of their ride. I'm on the SS again so I need to select the correct ratio. I run a 34/17 for local rides which work out at about 100ft/mile. I dropped this to 32/20 for the Brauton which is about 147ft/mile. The YD300 works out at 128ft/mile according to my mapping software so maybe a ratio between these two? Maybe 34/20 as this uses components I already have, but I've have to check for wear as I think the 34t chainring is getting a bit worn. They are oval if that makes a difference to suggestions.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

From what he said on the Jennride, people who did the 200 were fine without sleep (as a qualifier), so I'd imagine the same would count for you on the YD300.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's a lot of fast riding on the YD300. Obviously the steep hills are going to be walking but there's a few long (make that very long in the case of the Roman Road up to Fleet Moss) draggy climbs.

Here's my blog from last year http://bobwightman.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... s-300.html
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote:From what he said on the Jennride, people who did the 200 were fine without sleep (as a qualifier), so I'd imagine the same would count for you on the YD300.
Thanks Richard, no sleep for me then :wink: I'll take my bivi kit and see how I get on. If the weather's bad I'm more likely to ride through the night than stop. I do quite like the idea of a bivi even if just for a few hours as I never get the opportunity to bivi in remote areas due to where I live, then again I'm not meant to be enjoying myself too much :smile:

Bob, nice write up, the route looks stunning in the photos. I'll have to study the maps carefully before I make a final decision. I'll need to see how much of the climbing is on surfaced roads and how much is off road. The safe bet would just to run the lower ratio but it might be quicker overall with a higher one. I'll also have to see what the weather's been like as climbing on slippery tracks on the SS can be a touch wearing. I'll see if I can lighten my kit as well as on the Braunton the bike was 49.9lb including water and food.

Good luck on the group start all, shame I'm going to miss it. I was originally meant to have a minor operation on that date so made plans for the ITT but the Op was brought forward so I'm now free but the family plans/ferry booking etc. have already been made for the later date. It also means I'll be able to read any new reports before my attempt :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:From what he said on the Jennride, people who did the 200 were fine without sleep (as a qualifier), so I'd imagine the same would count for you on the YD300.
One needs an "event" cv for the HT550? :o
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

I'm entered for this as well. I've just been looking at the route and definitely looking forward to it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:
One needs an "event" cv for the HT550? :o
For the group start Alan asks that you can show some experience in multi-day riding and/or routes that have some commitment (AKA hike-a-bike). Some routes like the Lakeland 200 and the Cairngorms Loop are regarded as being sufficiently hard but you'll have to make your case for other routes. Alan will state what his criteria are when he asks for entries for next year's group start. See his posting about this year's event:

"It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
Finishers from the last three editions (since HT became 550 miles) will have a guaranteed place. An ITT finish also assures you of a place. This year I will take up to 60 names again and expect 40-50 to make the start line come May 27th. I’ll keep 10 places for women but won’t limit it to that should there be more female applicants. Also a minimum of 10 places will be for overseas riders, who should have experience of tough bikepacking routes/races where they are from.
"
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Has anyone received any more info or a newsletter about the YD300 event? I signed up ages ago and haven't got anything apart from my ticket!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

rich.mike wrote:Has anyone received any more info or a newsletter about the YD300 event? I signed up ages ago and haven't got anything apart from my ticket!
I haven't. Then again, it's local to me so not a problem.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

rich.mike wrote:Has anyone received any more info or a newsletter about the YD300 event? I signed up ages ago and haven't got anything apart from my ticket!
Me neither.

Downloaded a GPX off the internet.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I plan on rocking up at the start at the start time I've put in my Calendar....

Any nearby campsites or anything from those in the know locally? Will be on the 26er rigid (but may bring some bouncy forks with me if I change my mind!).

I shall probably stop for some sleep on this ride - mostly coz I have to drive back, sort my kit out and be at work on the Monday!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd imagine we'll hear something a couple of weeks before most likely.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's a campsite at Appletreewick http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk/camping ... shire.html and Niffany Farm just outside Skipton. I haven't used either so can't comment on facilities, quality, etc.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Zippy wrote:I plan on rocking up at the start at the start time I've put in my Calendar....

Any nearby campsites or anything from those in the know locally? Will be on the 26er rigid (but may bring some bouncy forks with me if I change my mind!).

I shall probably stop for some sleep on this ride - mostly coz I have to drive back, sort my kit out and be at work on the Monday!
from the RCC website
http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshiredales300/
•The ride will start at 8am on Saturday 1st July 2017. RCC will be available on the Friday if any riders wish to travel up and bunk down for the night.
so I intend heading up Friday after work
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bloody early starts, messing with my free breakfast. :(
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:Bloody early starts, messing with my free breakfast. :(
Goodie bag?