The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DoctorRad

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by DoctorRad »

SixPotBelly wrote:Many, many thanks, Dr Matt. Those IGC maps look to be exactly what I'm looking for.
No problem. I've not ridden there myself as yet, but I understand that getting decent topographic maps of Italy is rather difficult #understatement

Please note that at least some of the IGC maps have NO sort of grid overlay, with all of the navigational issues that may or may not bring.
jameso

Post by jameso »

edit, answered my own q (googlemaps to gpx conversion)
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

jameso wrote:edit, answered my own q (googlemaps to gpx conversion)
...followed by GPS Visualizer DEM overlay.

Edit: just noticed, actual singletrack on the Col de Péas, very nice:
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/30549008
http://www.vttour.fr/photos_courses/col ... 6625-1.jpg
http://www.vttour.fr/photos_courses/pre ... 8940-5.jpg
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hey, don't give away all the suprises : )

Col de Peas is a good one, up top it's one of the trickier bits on a CX-ish bike but fun. Turns into an easier track fairly quickly. Col Izoard is the more 'roadie' option there, or for those not fancying a carry up. We went over the Peas last summer to check out the descent to Chateau Queyras.

GPS Visualiser's a great site, found it really useful for working on the full route files.
FLV

Post by FLV »

All this talk of getting there and hills and singletrack ..

But what bike are people taking :grin:

For me. It will be the one I have at the time with the easiest gear and best water carrying capacity.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@FLV...I'm taking my 29er with Nine Lines (2.0) or Nanos (2.1) for rubber. I may get left behind by the speedsters on cross bikes, but she climbs well and will handle the rougher stuff just fine. Besides, I'm not going for a fast time, but a fun time.

[Edit: Lois is staying with the carbon forks for the foreseeable future and definetly for this particular ride.]

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I shall be on my new best friend, my monstercross/gnarmac tourer, probably with the Mondials. as Scattamah, comfort and fun rather than speed!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm torn between rigid 29er and crosser. I had considered riding my 60's tourer until James pointed out I was a nob :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

You would at least be a classy/stylish nob!!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm torn between rigid 29er and crosser
Pretty much where I am at too.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

For fun it'll be my 29er with rigid fork, ikon tyres and some odd bars for the road bits.

If I decide I'm riding at least part of the way to the start it might be the full carbon CX bike with 40mm Gravel Road tyres.

Yet to decide...
jameso

Post by jameso »

best water carrying capacity.
Not really needed, loads of water points and the cues note where many useful ones are, to save doing what we did last time, carrying 2l up big climbs where there's taps on the top. Of course the adventurers/nobs will wing it w/o cues and see what happens* : D

*not a lot, it's Europe .. no-one will starve
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm thinking carbon rigid 29er (Lurcher) with Maxxis tyres (Ardent front, Crossmark rear).

Should be fun and faster than anything else I've got.

I'll likely still be lagging behind everyone else as I'm not a speedy mammal!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Swift for me.

I won't be in any rush so comfort wins over speed. Lower gearing will help at altitude and more bounce will be more fun on the downs.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

jameso wrote:
best water carrying capacity.
Not really needed, loads of water points and the cues note where many useful ones are, to save doing what we did last time, carrying 2l up big climbs where there's taps on the top.
One thing to note: fill up at the Col de Tende. the section immediately following that is very high and arid, and will likely be very short of water at the end of the summer. You can probably fill up at the Refuge Don Barbera, but if you're not staying there, I wouldn't rely on it.

Not planning to ride this year as I can't work it around the kids' summer holidays, but when I do, I'll probably be on the lovely Fortitude Adventure I just got hold of, with around 45-48mm tyres I should think.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

jameso wrote:GPS Visualiser's a great site, found it really useful for working on the full route files.
For route editing, I find bikehike.co.uk is great ,as you can 'follow' roads and tracks on Google Maps. Unfortunately, the MapQuest features (elevation and follow tracks on OpenStreetMap) no longer seem to work, but you can do a DEM elevation overlay with GPS Visualiser afterwards, and it's pretty quick to manually fill in any tracks you need to from the OSM map which aren't on Google.

I used bikehike to put together a 600km proto-route following your original route description (cols and places etc) in a couple of hours using what first- and second-hand local knowledge I have (I've ridden around Sospel before). Having no idea where Little Peru was, it goes a fair way off course in the middle, but here's the comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
jameso

Post by jameso »

Interesting comparison! Your route toward Molini is very much what I mapped/we rode last summer, the new route reverses one track there (the one leading to the col bridge on your route / our 2015 ride) to give an option to Molini and a ride-through for those not wanting a swim and a beer there.

I'd used bikehike to plan the initial ride and re-route it for the TNR, found gps visualiser good to add in the elevation that bikehike now won't do and convert to google earth files, that sort of thing. All a learning experience really, last time we rode the col turini area was with paper maps or following VTT signs and noting it from memory.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Do you know of VTTrack? It's more for full-on mountain biking than gravel tracks, but very useful for that part of the world (and others) nonetheless. For those tracks that have it, the difficulty ratings can be very useful. I wish there was a similar resource for the UK.

http://www.vttrack.fr/
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yes, good site, wikiloc is also good. Using both to map a more mtb alpine ride at the mo. I did start a thread on the rides forum to post links to sites like these and other alps links, would be good to add a few and revive it.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

still torn between the cross and my felt 29er.
going to have to acquire some carbon forks for it though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You can probably fill up at the Refuge Don Barbera
You can, I've been talking to the proprietor and they'll be open. He's mentioned being ready for a few riders coming past with appetites. I don't think they're that busy in early Sept, I was thinking of staying there this time just to ride the section just after it at dawn, it's a nice place. Either that or another bivi on top of the Tende and an alpine start for the whole section.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I think the mrs and I will be on 29ers. I can see the appeal of CX bikes for a route like this but mine's SS only and I can imagine its appeal, and my kneecaps, might wear a bit thin by the end of the trip. Also I'm pretty sure the mrs won't want to risk her pride and joy ahead of the 3 Peaks CX a couple of weeks after we get back. Of course she could use her spare and I could try and bash her even older steel frame into some kind of acceptable shape but that makes me think I'll probably prefer to be lazy and just ride the 29er and engage the lockout for the roady bits and firm uphills. The bonus being that I can have discs for any long descents that might have multiple switchbacks.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

jameso wrote:You can, I've been talking to the proprietor and they'll be open. He's mentioned being ready for a few riders coming past with appetites. I don't think they're that busy in early Sept, I was thinking of staying there this time just to ride the section just after it at dawn, it's a nice place. Either that or another bivi on top of the Tende and an alpine start for the whole section.
vaguely exciting stuff. What's the latest time you'd get food at the top of the Col de Tende? I reckon up the Col late-ish in the day, refuel and then push on for the refuge so you can ride Via del Sale early would be an excellent option. Pre-dawn breakfast at the refuge possible?
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

This looks too tempting to miss!
I'm in discussions with work re hols and ex- re kids holidays/childcare... 90% in.

Looking at the distance and elevation, I guess I may well need the full 7 days... :roll: so I'll look at flights to Turin on the 5th, and back on the following Monday night from Nice.

My brother was keen, but has ruled himself out as his wife has been dibbed for an army tour, so he will be Daddy daycare for six months. A good mate was "possibly" keen, but has a three month old so I won't be holding my breath there either, and may just be riding alone / with whatever other sociable (slow) riders are about. Hopefully that's ok.
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Post about using the luggage wrapping service at Nice Airport for bike-wrapping...
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49460

Anyone with experience?
I'm trying to avoid having to fly to Nice on the way out to dump a bike box there for the way back...