The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by jameso »

From Eurolines/National Express helpline -
"Unfortunately not all Eurolines service allow you to take bicycles. The coach that travel to Italy would not allow you to do so. I do apologise for this.
I hope this is helpful. If you do have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 08717 818 181."
Damn.. was looking like a useful option. Thanks Dyffers, for spotting that early on.
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote:From Eurolines/National Express helpline -
"Unfortunately not all Eurolines service allow you to take bicycles. The coach that travel to Italy would not allow you to do so. I do apologise for this.
I hope this is helpful. If you do have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 08717 818 181."
Damn.. was looking like a useful option. Thanks Dyffers, for spotting that early on.

The lack of negotiations and bribing in this country is upsetting sometimes :wink:
Gavihel

Post by Gavihel »

Hi there, a few of us have got together and are going to be heading over to have fun in the hills, just like everyone else we have been looking at logistics. Our latest thinking will need two of us without bikes getting from Nice to Turin on the Sunday before the race starts, anyone else in a similar situation and have ideas of how to do it in an effective and economic way?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Gavihel, the best option looks like trains that take around 5hrs with 1 change, listed on the SNCF site. If you're flying in, Nice Ville train station has a regular shuttle bus service linking to the airport or take a ~5km walk along the seafront and up to the station.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/43.66 ... 704612!3e2
gairym

Post by gairym »

Have people checked which trains their journeys will be using as most TGV trains in France don't allow bikes.

Most other trains are fine taking a bike (though some require booking) and most of those have a limit on the number of bikes carried on each train.

Worth taking the time making sure it'll work.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Have people checked which trains their journeys will be using as most TGV trains in France don't allow bikes.
What's your experience over from there Gairy, is it all a bit variable? So far just been looking at the Paris-Turin or Nice legs, not detail of Nice-Turin. TGV appears to take packed bikes though.

Had a couple of emails from people looking at this option and it seems a goer from Paris to Turin, or Nice to Paris, ie bikes can go. Yet I've seen info saying no bikes on the Eurostar south of Grenoble (I think, from memory) (and is that same as TGV?) or that bikes have to go in a 120x90mm max box, ie possible for most bikes but that's not a std bike box proportion/size.

from the TGV site - http://tgv.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/trains/tgv/services
Some TGV trains have special storage spaces for fully assembled bikes. Expect to pay around £10 per space. Bike spaces can only be reserved via our call centre and must be reserved at the same time as booking your ticket.
Alternatively, you can take your bike in a bike bag free of charge, so long as it is no bigger than 120x90cm. This will count towards your luggage allowance.
This is what one chap mailed to say he'd found out -

TGV from Paris to Turin is going to be around 40 Euros bikes are allowed as long as pedals off, handle bars are turned and wheels off, then into a lightweight zipped bag, (plastic bag).
TGV from Nice to Paris is same as above.

Sounds OK, agrees with this here -

from http://help.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/taking-your-bike
"It is not possible to take your bike on all types of trains. Check that the service is available. More details are available in the following sections:"

Between London and Paris on the Eurostar, the bike goes via a seperate forwarding company. Time permitting I was thinking of getting a train from Nice to Paris then riding to the ferry then riding home .. just S of Calais is some great riding countryside.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've not travelled with my bike on the train in a couple of years but when I last checked it was the double decker TGV trains that were the problem (needed to be dismantled and in a bag).

I also seem to remember that the max dimensions of the bag was massively insufficient to transport anything bigger than the tiniest 26" machine.

But.....the info you have looks both more recent and more bike friendly.

I'd advise checking and double checking the situation as the French aren't known for their customer service in person on the day.
gairym

Post by gairym »

One thing I will say is that if you're traveling on the Eurostar and taking your bike then get there in plenty of time as if there isn't sufficient time for them to get it loaded they'll just send it on a later train which means you'll not make any connections at the other end.

I've had this happen and they didn't even apologise, just matter of factly mentioned that it wasn't there and wouldn't be arriving for a good few hours.
FLV

Post by FLV »

My current plan is to drive to London and fly direct to Turin with my bike in a cardboard box.

I then plan to do the ride and carry and ctc plastic bag and beg as much padding as possible, or indeed a box in Nice for the journey home.

It might have an effect on which bike i take (el mariachi is more robist than a warbird) and which insurance I buy.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

This looks vaguely exciting!,
the wife has cleared it, got to love a wife who mountain bikes :grin:
i'll be booking the time off work tomorrow.

going to be an epic adventure just getting there and back.
when are people thinking of heading to the start?
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

Booked the time off work today.
Nothing stopping me now... WOOOO :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

:-bd
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

Has the route been published yet?
just looking for mapping to use with my Dakota.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not yet, I've pretty much finished tidying up the 2015 GPS tracks, revised some of the route and written the cue notes but it won't all be sent out until ~June, in case there's a track or option to add, changes needed, etc. It'll be GPX format for the route with cues in an editable format for however you want to use/print them, if any other formats are needed just let me know. I'll add info about the route to the site as I get a moment over the next month.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Jon wrote:Has the route been published yet?
Search my posts in the Tuscany thread for free Garmin mapping.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Hello,

Another intended rider for this event. Just considering travel options. Looking like flights in and out of Gatwick for us. Going to be looking for a place to stash bike bags/boxes in Turin if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations.

Subject to timings I'm thinking we'll see about hopping local trains from Nice back to Turin.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Going to be looking for a place to stash bike bags/boxes in Turin if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations.
There's a hotel recommendation on the TNR site and I've been told they can do that for you, otherwise there's an offer of help that may cover it - assume as long as numbers are reasonable that bag / box storage should be ok, mail me via the site and I can put you in touch if you'd like something more assured or to discuss direct.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

Taylor wrote:
Jon wrote:Has the route been published yet?
Search my posts in the Tuscany thread for free Garmin mapping.

Thanks Taylor, will look into that
jameso

Post by jameso »

cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

That looks pretty wonderful, feeling excited about this already.

A delightful absence of straight lines.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Looks mildly hillsome.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Does anyone have any sources for detailed topographical maps (like our OS 1:50k or France's IGN equivalent) covering the Italian part of the route? Either digital or paper.

Best I've found so far is the OSM with the contours add-in. I don't *need* any more than that, but I'm a sucker for traditionally drawn topo map...
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

SixPotBelly wrote:Does anyone have any sources for detailed topographical maps (like our OS 1:50k or France's IGN equivalent) covering the Italian part of the route? Either digital or paper.

Best I've found so far is the OSM with the contours add-in. I don't *need* any more than that, but I'm a sucker for traditionally drawn topo map...
From the sections of the region of this route (and the Tuscany Trail) that I've looked at and cross-referenced with Google Maps and Satellite, the OSM data is probably about as good as you are going to get. Google looks to be pretty good as well, but I don't know what their data source is.

I took a look at the Istituto Geografico Centrale maps, and they look usable, but no idea of accuracy. Stanfords can get them:

http://www.istitutogeograficocentrale.it/index_eng.asp

NB: for France, Google appear to have licensed the vector data about roads, paths and tracks from the IGN to include in Google Maps. Thus if you use something like BikeHike and 'follow tracks' to produce your GPX file, it should pretty much overlay the digital IGN maps on your device.

Cheers,

Dr. Matt...
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

gairym wrote:Looks mildly hillsome.
Ballpark from overlaid DEM data is 80,000ft of climbing :shock:

http://1drv.ms/1KY2aLc

Dr. Matt...
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Many, many thanks, Dr Matt. Those IGC maps look to be exactly what I'm looking for.