"Audax chat" thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

Re: "Audax chat" thread

Post by atk »

DrMekon wrote:If you weren't busy, I'm staying at Preston Travelodge, and you are welcome to crash there.

Last year, people got very cold on the heartbeat, but forecast is wet but much kinder temp IIRC
Thanks for the offer, I emailed Andy and he said it was ok to start a little late so I'm catching the 5:44am train and starting ~45mins after every one else! Not sure this is the smartest idea I've ever had but I'm sure it'll be a good ride and with a bit of luck I'll catch up with at least a handful of riders at some point!

Forecast seems to be in flux but currently looks promising, rain lower down the dales and later on in the day, with a bit of luck might avoid the bulk of it and keep the temperature in double figures!
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I took this track - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/4486883 < Thanks to Phil Gradwell
  • [li]Filtered it to <10000 points for an etrex 30 in mapsource (came out 3200ish)
    Added these POIs[/li]
    [li]Added the start, controls and end as waypoints with the naming convention 0X0CTL where X is the order in which the controls appear[/li]
    [li]Added the following POI as waypoints with the naming convention 0XY where X is the previous control and Y is the order in which they appear (plus a couple of navigation hints where the track crosses)[/li]
Pateley Bridge 90 km: The Old Granary cafe opens at 09:30 am (on route)

Coxwold 135 km: Coxwold Tearoom opens 10:30 am - 5:00 pm (on route) www.coxwoldtearooms.co.uk/

Wass 139 km: Byland Abbey Tearoom opens 10:30 am - 4:30 pm (on route) - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visi ... abbey/inn/

Helmsley 149 km: Beck Tearoom on Castlegate (just off route) www.becktearoom.co.uk/

Rosedale Abbey 170 km: Abbey Tearoom & Store open 10:30 am - 5:30 pm (just off route) www.abbeytearoom.co.uk/

Stokesley 233 km: Jet petrol station closes at 9:00 pm (on route). Several shops (Spar) also on route.

Leyburn 293 km: Fryer Tuck Fish & Chips/takeaway closes at 8:00 pm (on route). Co-op closes at 10:00 pm (also on route)

Hawes 319 km: Spar closes at 7:30 pm. Chippy opposite Pennygarth Cafe closes at 9:00 pm (both on route).

Ingleton 347 km: Texaco petrol station closes at 10:00 pm.

All works in mapsource and on GPX Editor. YMMV, all at your own risk. Hope it helps, etc. Not tried on my unit yet, but if it works on others unit and they let others know, that would be :thumbsup:

http://bit.ly/heartbeat400 < right click to "save as" the GPX here
Chew

Post by Chew »

Wiggington 300 for me on Sat.
Probably hit Stokesley at the same time, so save me some chips.

Fingers crossed the weathers as forecast
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Keep looking at those Wigginton based events as I used to run for Wigginton AC in the late 80's early 90's. Sadly working on a house this weekend. Good luck this weekend
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

I've never really looked at Audaxes before... So for the long ones you bivi in the middle? (or go to a b'n'b I guess?) The scottish ones look interesting, there's a 1200 k one starting in Mull! http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-392/
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Anything up to 300k and most people won't sleep, even the ones that start at odd hours.

For 400k, it's a bit of a toss up as to whether you sleep. Some people will always grind on through but a lot will look for a nap at some point. If there's an established control somewhere in the night section then most will take a nap there. Others will look for an "audax hotel". Usually that's a nice rural bus shelter, church porch or something similar. From a bikepacking perspective, you might want to take a light sleeping bag with you and pop your head down for 20-30 minutes just to get your head restarted.

For a 600k+, usually there will be an established control somewhere in the night section with some kind of sleeping facilities or otherwise a designated control/location that's suitable for getting an hour or two of sleep in. From a bikepacking perspective, you could take a bivi with you but there's a couple of considerations. The clock never stops ticking so as well as the stopping, eating and sleeping time, you also have to manage the time spent unpacking, setting up and repacking your bivi. Quite often routes will move on to major roads for night sections because they will be quieter, easier to navigate in the dark and quicker to ride along. Pitching up on a verge on the A54 isn't going to ensure you get the best sleep. Rides in the quieter, more rural areas tend also to be hillier and therefore slower with time for faffing with a bivi. Even so, happening on a good pitching location isn't easily guaranteed. As a general rule, riders depend on controls or individual plans such as Travelodges or leaving a car or van on the route. That doesn't mean you shouldn't bivi, but some degree of pre ride planning and location scouting will serve you well.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi, im not an audaxer but due to a bereavement i have a rather nice Spa cycles Ti Audax bike for sale.

Its well kitted with SP hub and expensive light set.

I shall list it in the classifieds asap.

Any queries then pm is great as is e-mail to breninbeenerATgmailDOTcom

Thanks

Ian
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Yorlin: I wouldn't carry bivvy kit on anything shorter than a 1000k; on a 400k just ride through or nap at a control (which are usually a village hall or similar for late night controls), on a 600k+ there tends to be a planned sleep stop location. Typically you'll need to be prepared to do some night riding if you're not one of the faster riders. Remember there's a minimum speed to complete these in, so 10 hour camps are not really compatible with the format.

--------------------

I had a successful if a little slow Brevet Cymru 400 at the weekend. Hoping to keep the miles up with a local DIY300 next Tuesday something like Dorset - Glastonbury - New Forest - Dorset.

In June I'm a bit strapped for time but hoping to stick a DIY600 together with a mate (Chris et al welcome to join in). Early planning stage at the moment but probably doing some of the Bryan Chapman route and the Elan Valley, a couple of weeks before the Mille Pennines to get the legs in spec.

(Also tinkering with SRAM Road shifters / MTB rear mech compatibility so I can stick a 11-36 cassette on for the Mille P, because Hardknott and Rosedale Chimney aren't on day 1 :shock: )
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Quite a few people just use silk liners or a space blanket in case they get the dozies. I ran out of steam at 3.30am on a welsh 600 in October a few years back. Fell asleep on a dual carriageway and only woke when I hit the central reservation and saw the mini-grupetto that had formed disappearing off ahead. Was a learning experience. I was so cold, my jaw stopped working properly, as if I had a speech impediment.
atk

Post by atk »

DNS for the Heartbeat 400, despite glorious forecast real life has got in the way (note to self, don't rush into entering these things!) :sad:

Still on for the Cumbrian 200 thankfully (with a slight detour over Hardknott in prep for the MP1000).
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Not got much on this year, no intention of much other than tying up this years SR (only need a 300 n 400 to do so as did a big ride back in Oct) and keeping the AAARTY and RRTY going. I am kind of preferring the idea of off-road long distance still atm, although, everytime I do get out on a 200, I end up remembering why I love it. Very rarely make events now, the cost and time of getting to the start is always so offputting, as is the ridiculously early start times. If I'm doing a 400 DIY I can start it at 9 am after a damn good night's sleep!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Successful 300 yesterday. Felt fine at the end apart from sore knees and backside.

Dropping through Chop Gate in the early evening sun was amazing.

Today has mainly involved sleeping and stuffing my face.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Successful 300 yesterday. Felt fine at the end apart from sore knees and backside.
Good work - what's next?
May the bridges you burn light your way
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Presumably a 400.

Currently signed up to the Peaks, Troughs and Plains as a first 200 after a year off. No bikepacking needed on that one so will be going out fast and light. Well, light anyway. Might take a small top tube bag for wallet and phone to stop them getting sweaty.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Good work - what's next?
At the moment more cake.....

600 in July, so just plenty of big rides before then.

Very few 400's until later in the year, but hoping to get to Super Randonner by the end of the season
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but hoping to get to Super Randonner by the end of the season
D'ya get a badge? I like badges.
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

Yep, you can: http://www.aukweb.net/results/medalsbadges/ and http://audaxmedals.southportcc.co.uk/

This one's my favourite:
200 - 600 km in one season, all (mostly) within Wales. :cool:
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Hmm badges!!

And thanks for the replies to my daft-ish question!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Well done Chew. Don't necessarily listen to folks who tell you a 600km is 'easier' than a 300/400km ride (looking at you Dyffers!) as it depends on your riding pace. I was averaging 20kph for all my SR and at that pace it does not allow a lot of time for sleep (<2 hours) and a bit of leeway for any issues arising late on.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Blackhound wrote:Don't necessarily listen to folks who tell you a 600km is 'easier' than a 300/400km ride (looking at you Dyffers!) as it depends on your riding pace.
Not sure how I got this reputation! :smile:

I'm not a big fan of sleeping on a 400k, so I treat them as a 'dayride+'. On 600s (and longer perhaps) organisers tend to plan in sleep stops around 350-420k, so basically your doing the same dayride+. It's just that you have to get up and get back on the bike for 200k+, usually with a comfortable 12-14 hours to do it in.

So not easier or harder, just another step on the way to being comfortable riding your bike for lim x=>∞ :-bd

If you were ok on the 400, Chew you'll be reet at anything further if you're bloody-minded enough. :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Oh, km. I thought it was a really really long ride, but now I just think it's really long ride :lol: :shock:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

If 600km isn't 'really' enough for you there's always a 1000km on each year in the UK, and in the right year a French 1200km, UK 1400km, German 1500km or Italian 1600km (1000 miles). Or have a go at this whenever you like ITT-style: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/SJ02/

:wink:
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Heartbeat 400 was fun. It took me 199km to realise that it was in reference to the Nick Berry police saga. Such a good route, there were no horrid bits. Wholeheartedly recommended.
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Next up for me is Severn Across. Accommodation booked at the start and at Severn View in case I need a kip (currently £39). Not looking to set any records on this as I want to keep the miles up in June in prep for Mille Pennines.

Anyone else going to be there?
atk

Post by atk »

Wasn't that ride in April?

Doing Three Steps to Severn... hoping it goes better than recent road rides (DNS Heartbeat, DNF Cumbrian 200...!)