Garmin mounts for Dakota, Etrex models etc

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Garmin mounts for Dakota, Etrex models etc

Post by Blackhound »

Might be of use to some people. This is aimed at those with AA battery typess such as Dakota, Colorado, Montana, Etrex and 60 etc.

I have seen moans on here about the mounts for Garmin being poor. I have had problems over the last four years with the mounts wearing out after a time. Over some Belgian cobbles in July I was trying to ride with one hand on my Dakota as I rode - not ideal. I have tried cheap copies which sometimes do not work at all or paid extra for Garmin's own mounts. I have also with some success used Aidan Harding's Araldite solution:

http://www.aidanharding.com/2012/02/how ... ike-mount/

In July I was in Belgium for the start of the Trans Continental Race and got talking to a Dutch guy, Eelco, who was just back from riding the Trans America race. He had a Softplate system on his bars which he said worked well throughout America and I saw his setup. He said it never ejected from mount although he used the lanyad just in case.

This is the website:

http://softplate.nl/

At the time they showed a UK supplier who I contacted but they did not stock the product. Talking to a guy at Ram Mount UK who did cycle ' on a hybrid' they had two solutions. One was an EZ-On which attached with zip ties and he did not initially recommend for off road. Talking a bit further I think he confused me with Steve Peat - a mistake easily made;-) and he did not think it suitable for 40mph downhill off road! I decided to order one anyway (RAP-274-1) plus a more substantial unit with a U bolt (RAM-B-149) as I have a number of bikes and could switch over easily enough. You also need a cradle which differs depending on your GPS model so for a Dakota it is RAM-HOL-GA36

Website here:

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/gps-handheld ... 9_659.html

On receipt of items I found that the U bolt item only fitted the old standard narrow bar (25.4mm?) and would not go around the wider standard. It was also a bit heavy so I returned it. I have been using the zip-tie EZ-ON for a couple of weeks including a trip to France and Belgium and it was fine staying in place and thinkk it would be fine for bikepacking speeds. (I found RAM Mount UK a good company to deal with for advice and returns)

I then ordered directly from softplate.nl a mount which has arrived and I fitted it yesterday. A bit more low profile then the ziptie option and I think (not tried it yet) it is just a case of undoing two screws and it will swap between bikes quite easily. It also has some inserts so that you can use on both size of bar standards.

It is not a cheap option but looks more reliable then the Garmin mounts. Cradle is £12.10, EZ-On is £10.50 + postage. The option of softplate 80 euro (with postage) and you still require a cradle for your device. They do not stock all cradles and cost is 15 euro.

Pic of EZ-On:

ImageDSC00245 by blackhound59, on Flickr

Pic of Softplate (1):

ImageDSC00248 by blackhound59, on Flickr

Pic of craadle from top:

ImageDSC00246 by blackhound59, on Flickr
Taylor

Re: Garmin mounts for Dakota, Etrex models etc

Post by Taylor »

Bloody hell Kev, sort that bar tape out. :o

I've had a Garmin Oregon for 4 years now. I have one Garmin mount and one generic copy from eBay, I've never had my GPS "dismount" by itself.
From my non scientific findings, it seems to be that the commonest gps to be ejected is the Dakota. Could the problem lie with the back of the gps rather than the mount itself?
IIRC the Dakota has a plastic slide on the battery compartment whereas the Oregon has a metal slide/mount interface.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Taylor wrote:Bloody hell Kev, sort that bar tape out. :o
My first thought too!

I've got a Dakota with Garmin mount and had an eTrex with cheap eBay mount and neither had ever ejected.

But..... I also use a lanyard as well as I'd rather not risk my safety on something so many others have trouble with.

Let us know how that solution holds up Kevin.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My oregon has never ejected, I always use the lanyard as backup though

If it's massively bumpy, like trail centre style, it'll rotate round the bars. For bikepacking - never!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am pretty rubbish with bar tape. I had to do an emergency fix when I was away and decided to leave well alone. If it wasn't new and expensive I would have binned it.

I do use a lanyard with my Dakota just in case but once the mount is worn a bump on the road can eject it let alone off road. Believe this will be a better long term option.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Taylor wrote: I've had a Garmin Oregon for 4 years now. I have one Garmin mount and one generic copy from eBay, I've never had my GPS "dismount" by itself.
From my non scientific findings, it seems to be that the commonest gps to be ejected is the Dakota. Could the problem lie with the back of the gps rather than the mount itself?
IIRC the Dakota has a plastic slide on the battery compartment whereas the Oregon has a metal slide/mount interface.
Having owned both an ejecting Dakota and a stable Oregon I'd completely agree. I found a wee bit of electrical tape on the mount was enough to tighten it up so that the Dakota stayed in place.

Certainly a lot neater than that mount pictured above.