The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Mariner »

Burty
What bars are those?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote:... with some Y pegs from a very nice gent, sorry I mean to#@er :wink:, of this parish. Thank you.
Not a problem reg ,sorry about the delay ,that thing called work started to get in the way of life ,put a stop to that now ,no more ot just my 4on4off
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

A set of Genetic Digest bars. Love the shape and glad I plumped for 480mm width, based on advice from here. :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just unwrapped the old carbon bars on my crosser to find whoever fitted the levers had squished the carbon. A small amount of inward pressure and ...

Glad I bought new bars before I needed a new face :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

:shock:

One reason I bought a torque wrench for fitting mine.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Partly an issue of straight - and slightly lumpy - clamps on curly carbon, I think, though proper torquing may well have prevented it. Think I’ll stick with ally drops in future.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Not the postman but Fergus from Tuffnells delivered me this yesterday....

You can't beat new bike day!
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

20180602_111550 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/78402895@N04/ - Flickr2BBcode LITE

New genesis CDA arrived yesterday, took it out for it's first ride today. Lovely to ride, great fun! A little bit of tinkering with tyre pressures along the way was needed but once it was right it was great!
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Revelate harness and salty roll. Oh, and the wee front bag thing (process?).

Not by postie, picked up from backcountry.scot in person as I was in the area (no point in costing him postage).
Give the dirt a little room.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

A few things have turned up recently

Ant+ HRM to go with my new edge 25
Travers prong carbon forks to try rigid on my Solaris (which might lead to N-1 on my El mariachi :cry: )
Grivel G10 crampons for a september trip
DMM revolver carabiner for the same trip (for crevasse rescue)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

New tarp time

Experimenting with pitching options will have to wait for a couple of weeks though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's what I've got Colin. I pitch it using the handlebars as the rear "pole" and have one of Stu's carbon poles for the front one.

I really need to take some decent shots of the setup :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - I've gone for the mid-size option. I find the normal small size tarps a bit "neat" when trying to ensure weather protection (especially without a waterproof bivvy bag).

The green DCF was a bit of a leap as I haven't seen it before. At least it's not that shiny white!! :-)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice indeed. Did you go for the extra "mid" tie-outs? I find they're useful for getting a bit of extra height at the sides - can't be done with a short pole/stick rammed up inside (as per forgiving nylon tarp) due to cuben's interesting properties. Look forward to some pitching stories :smile:.

Out of interest, why did one go for the super-long front pole? Or is that just me mis-reading the photo.

I favour "flying V" and it took a while to work out that "back peg first, then left peg, then lift front, add front pole and peg, then final right peg" leaves a wierd "flattened" (and therefore wasted space) rear to the V. I now do "back peg first, add front pole and peg, then left, then right", and for some reason that seems to get a much tighter pitch with no wasted space. Custom 9 x 7 for me though cos I need extra room for the cocktail cabinet, and don't want a bivvy bag.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've since added some cord to the mid-side tie-outs so that I can adjust the height of the sides off the ground. There's mid-panel tie-outs as well as per the r1g3.5. There's three along the long axis "ridgeline" at 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 points. Mine's the small - 8' x 5'

My pitching sequence when using the bike as a "pole" is: loop cord over handlebar; a couple of twists of the front line around the top of the pole; peg out front line (pole is a bit wobbly at this point); peg out front left and right - these need to be at roughly 45deg towards the front; peg out left and right rear corners; adjust front corner lines to get everything taut; peg out sides if required.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good stuff. Yes mine is also now permanently covered with loads of colour-coded cord (1.5mm dyneema so no weight penalty) - got bored with adding them "as required" when pitching. As mentioned a while ago, I need the different colours to work out which side is which as quick as possible :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mine is 9' x 6'. Should be enough to give some decent height when required but still decent width and length. I also got some tie-outs added underneath so that I can attach the hood end of my bivvy bag - the bit with the midge netting
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:Mine is 9' x 6'. Should be enough to give some decent height when required but still decent width and length. I also got some tie-outs added underneath so that I can attach the hood end of my bivvy bag - the bit with the midge netting
I had those added as well - I've a line that runs under the ridge between them as a "drying" or at least "airing" line for shorts, socks, etc. A bit better than stuffing them in a bag overnight. :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Postie delivered a 35 degree stem to raise my new Digest bars a tad. Much better for descending and I think I can live with the hoods being a little high. It has, though, dealt my poor crosser a painful blow with the ugly stick. I’m not sure it’ll recover.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Charliecres wrote:Postie delivered a 35 degree stem to raise my new Digest bars a tad. Much better for descending and I think I can live with the hoods being a little high. It has, though, dealt my poor crosser a painful blow with the ugly stick. I’m not sure it’ll recover.
Better get some lauf forks to complete the look then!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Where’s that gnome?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maybe he's gone gnome.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I heard he’d had an elf scare due to his bad hobbits - goblin Skittles till he pukes.

IGMC
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Collected from a localish bike stop, rode out to One more bycycle and picked up some
Bum butter and a new tube.....good job as I punctured in the last few yards of the ride :|
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

"An all new, all dancing and very much singing prototype K-lite ... the most powerful dynamo light in the world just got much brighter. "

C'mon Stu, you've had this for ages now; what's the score?