The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

polarcherry

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by polarcherry »

and from over the pond a mini lockring remover that works with thru axles. Not sure I'll ever need it, but feel naked in the back of beyond without one
Where from? Web link please
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm assuming a camera doesn't actually stop you from being killed to death Dave - just a way of hopefully finding the culprit?
I think Dave's new camera is complete with the Exocet missile option :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

and from over the pond a mini lockring remover that works with thru axles. Not sure I'll ever need it, but feel naked in the back of beyond without one

Yes please - I could do with this as well.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Pickers wrote:

Does it have an adaptor to use with a 1/2" drive or something for when they're stubborn?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote:
Pickers wrote:

Does it have an adaptor to use with a 1/2" drive or something for when they're stubborn?
This is the link http://www.steintool.com/Html/Tools_for_Wheels.html From looking at Pickers' photo I took a guess at the screw-in nubbin pushing against the frame with the chain being used to provide the force, the shots on the linked page look as if that's the case. It does look a neat setup.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

whitestone wrote:
Zippy wrote:
Pickers wrote:

This is the link http://www.steintool.com/Html/Tools_for_Wheels.html From looking at Pickers' photo I took a guess at the screw-in nubbin pushing against the frame with the chain being used to provide the force, the shots on the linked page look as if that's the case. It does look a neat setup.

That is indeed how it works - and very nicely made it is too, at around 50 grams it's not too punitive to keep in the tool bag. No fitting for socket drives, and I wonder how useful it'd be in such a mini tool. If anyone wants a squint at the WRT I'm a tall chap in glasses.

J A Stein is of course correct. Long time maker of bike related goodness. I got a stem facing tool off him at the same time for work. Also a thing of beauty.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A Garmin charging/data lead. I've found one which is only 17cm long which saves a bit of weight and is easier to pack. It only weight 8g, the one supplied by Garmin weighs 18g so another 10g saved :smile: I keep a copy of my routes on my google-drive so if there is a problem with the gpx I just need to convince a friendly cafe to let me use their computer to transfer it to the eTrex again. Never happened yet but just in case. It also fits the SPOT in case there is a problem with that which requires connection to the SPOT website.

I also have a similarly short phone charging cable coming which will save some more weight.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

...and dropped me off a very purple Patagonia Houdini. It feels as light, if not lighter than my Montane Featherlite smock, but full zip, pocket and hood.

Thanks a bunch Slobike!

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely Lyn brought me some Zebra wood and a very small piece of very expensive Moon Ebony ... to the workshop Batman.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

...and unloaded a plethora of necessities;
Laminated OS map for Western Lakes (thanks for the code Reg)
New chain
The worlds heaviest 1x crankset
Square taper bottom bracket
A selection of greases
chris n

Post by chris n »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Lovely Lyn brought me some Zebra wood and a very small piece of very expensive Moon Ebony ... to the workshop Batman.
Guitar? Knife handle? Something something longbow?
chris n

Post by chris n »

The Amazon man has just dropped off an 11-speed chain, quick links and some tubeless valves for my road bike. And a Lego helicopter transporter for my son's birthday. :cool:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

A nice shiny mk12 joystick
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something something longbow?
Aye, bow tips Chris. I'm on the look out for some Amber to make an arrow pass now :wink:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

sean_iow wrote:A Garmin charging/data lead. I've found one which is only 17cm long which saves a bit of weight and is easier to pack. It only weight 8g, the one supplied by Garmin weighs 18g so another 10g saved :smile: I keep a copy of my routes on my google-drive so if there is a problem with the gpx I just need to convince a friendly cafe to let me use their computer to transfer it to the eTrex again. Never happened yet but just in case. It also fits the SPOT in case there is a problem with that which requires connection to the SPOT website.

I also have a similarly short phone charging cable coming which will save some more weight.
I switched from Iphone to Android so could rebuild my Garmin without internet connection using an OTG cable and FTP app from my phone. Used it in anger the day before I started my Great Divide ride when my Garmin froze and required a factory reset to unlock. :shock: that scenario has never happened before or since.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm gratified to say I didn't understand one word of those two posts guys :-bd (*)

Reg 'Luddite' Perrin

(*) (This statement may not be entirely true :wink:)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:I switched from Iphone to Android so could rebuild my Garmin without internet connection using an OTG cable and FTP app from my phone. Used it in anger the day before I started my Great Divide ride when my Garmin froze and required a factory reset to unlock.
I have an OTG cable, well an adaptor that enables me to plug a full size USB into my phone, is that the same thing? I also need to learn how to do a factory reset on the eTrex and reinstall. Is it just the gpx that would require re-loading? The mapping is on the sd card. Perhaps a subject for a new thread rather than clutter up this one if it's going to get too technical?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Balls. Massage balls. In three different hardnesses. Looking forward :???: to some pain.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A very busy half hour ...

A lovely pair of Travers Prong carbon forks which will be going home with someone at the WRT.

The second half of my self-imposed book quota for the month ... there's a book about tracks in Wales, one on pirates and a very nice one about wood.

Lastly, something completely unique and very special which will also be going home with someone at the WRT :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hmm, I've a set of the Travers Prongs on the Solaris - very nice they are too :grin:

Today's post arrived at about 0610 but I don't think the wardrobe makes a good parcel drop :wink: with one of these

There's an old thread I started about cameras somewhere. This will replace my old Canon G10 that died last year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Lastly, something completely unique and very special which will also be going home with someone at the WRT :wink:
Trench foot?
RIP

Post by RIP »

"my self-imposed book quota". Um, sorry Stuart, I wonder if you could explain this concept to me please? I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest.

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wonder if you could explain this concept to me please?
I try to impose a limit on my book habit per month Reg - while not as bad as a crack habit, book buying probably could get out of hand if left to its own devices. However, with careful shopping, it's surprising just how many books you can still purchase per month, which kind of adds to the fun.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nope, still all at sea here. "Books", "limit"..... I obviously need to take a quiet moment to re-consider my habits (no not those ones, that's a separate problem altogether...). It's not something I'd even remotely considered up until you mentioned it just now.

:lol:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not that books are in any way bad Reg, just the opposite ... I had a quiet word with a woman in a shop the other week for telling her child "you've got too many books already" - I mean, what kind of a message does that send to a young child. I told him, he could never have too many books :wink: