The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP »

27.2-29.8 seatpost shim and 31.8 menacing black Hope clamp, for my P7. Existing one has lasted 10 years and 2 months which isn't a bad effort I reckon, but I've finally got bored of setting off on a ride and very slowly getting lower and lower until I look like Quasimodo on a bike (what d'you mean I look like that anyway? Hah)

Reg 'IT-er so long ago he can even remember submitting coding on punched cards' Perrin
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

A massive import bill from DHL.

I received a quilt from USA based EE back in July, and foolishly thought I had 'evaded' the import duty. Then 5 weeks later I get a bill from DHL which is just outrageous:

20% VAT (38.91) + 12% Duty (20.84) + 'Disbursement' (11.00) = £70.75 on an order that was less than £150 (plus postage). How the F**k does that work?

They also did the calculations on the full price, not the discounted amount that I paid.

But the best bit is, I sent this item back to the USA last as it wasn't what I wanted!!!

Loathed to fork out this ridiculous amount for something I didn't even keep, but no idea how to contest it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Just received a couple of Alpkit Stem bags. Unfortunately my cookset doesn't quite fit so I either need the XL ones instead or a smaller cookset
slarge

Post by slarge »

A pair of Rockshox Sid Race forks for my singlespeed off eBay. Need new seals but they are pretty tidy.

Plus some bits for the chainsaw, some dampers for the van, Led floodlights and British Cycling membership card.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Loathed to fork out this ridiculous amount for something I didn't even keep, but no idea how to contest it.
You must have all the documentation for returning the item - customs forms etc.
Just send them the copies and let them sort it out.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bday haul so rather than postie I had a good haul from my family. Cycling ones include
- new petal e+lite, the 50 lumen one. I have 3 old ones already, I like having them dotted around
- waterproof phone case
- folding spoon
- new commuting gloves
- topeak d2
- some camping food - basically a pass for my next trip!
- cargo net

Other bits not cycling relevant, but check out the Hultafors chisel knife and the Gerber EAB lite, good man toys!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:A massive import bill from DHL.

I received a quilt from USA based EE back in July, and foolishly thought I had 'evaded' the import duty. Then 5 weeks later I get a bill from DHL which is just outrageous:

20% VAT (38.91) + 12% Duty (20.84) + 'Disbursement' (11.00) = £70.75 on an order that was less than £150 (plus postage). How the F**k does that work?

They also did the calculations on the full price, not the discounted amount that I paid.

But the best bit is, I sent this item back to the USA last as it wasn't what I wanted!!!

Sounds about par for the course and is the risk of buying from outside EU. I'm only surprised you got your item without paying the bill first as that is standard with many couriers.

If it were me I'd do some research on HMRC's site about tax liability and returned goods.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmm, I received a steering wheel from the US via FedEx, but not paid customs yet, now I'm worried!
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

When i bought my EE quilt I got a bloody good hiding. The fact my custom made quilt was not as ordered is very fustrating, I decided to settle for the incorrectly made item, because I couldn't face the rising costs of returning and then another being sent. That said EE were poor show... will never see another penny out of me, shame as nice gear.

Bought some Cushcores, another good hiding in charges, another issue with an American supplier.

Good old European products from now on.... well for a year or two anyway.

I did get a waterproof jacket in the post.... my first for 10 years as I never wear them even in filthy conditions but figured ITTs are a different matter, discretion being the better part of valour and all that.

It's a bloody lovely colour.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There were a few bits I wanted from the US last time I was over but I completely forgot to order them. I really must remember to get them when I go over in October.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

DHL have been very inconsistent recently;

Late July - EE Quilt 1 delivered with no duty bill.
Mid August - Quilt 1 returned.
Late August - EE Quilt 2 delivered, but only after I paid the duty bill (£36)
a few days later - duty bill from DHL for Quilt 1 (£70)

Utterly bizarre!

I did fill out a simple form in the post office when returning Quilt 1, but have no record of that. As I had not paid any import duty on that quilt at that stage, I was not interested in recovering it from HMRC!

Certainly dented my enthusiasm for buying stuff online from outside the EU...
psling

Post by psling »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:

As far as I understand it:
The value of the goods purchased is notified by the supplying company. (Of course, for them to advise a reduced amount is totally naughty and not to be suggested at point of purchase, oh no).
The duty is import duty levied by HMRC on that notified amount, dependant on trade agreements etc.
The disbursement is DFL's admin charge.
VAT is added at 20% to ALL of the above!

It would certainly be worth approaching HMRC if you returned the goods for refund and there is a paper chain (either electronic or otherwise). You may get a refund on the duty/ VAT part of DFL's overall bill.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As promised for Tony and perhaps anyone else who appreciates skilled, hand-crafted goods ... the bow that arrived last week.

It's made from a single piece of Osage and given the twists and bends would be described as a 'character bow'. It's way easier to make a bow out of straight staves and something like this where the grain is twisted about 70 degrees along the length, takes real skill.

Arrived as a bare, unfinished bow so I've given it a few coats of protection / pretty ... and no, it's not bloody varnish you cheeky sods :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

A nice new Porcialne Rocket "Tess" arrived this morning.
A bit of a change around, and all my sleeping kit will go there from the front harness I reckon.
giryan

Post by giryan »

I did a proper vaguely exciting bit of "saving", went to FLBS to chat about tubeless conversions for my 29er, came back with this:
Last edited by giryan on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

A stop sign? :???:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
giryan

Post by giryan »

Mariner wrote:A stop sign? :???:
Oh :(

Should work now :D
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Waiting for me when I got back from holiday.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

giryan wrote:I did a proper vaguely exciting bit of "saving", went to FLBS to chat about tubeless conversions for my 29er, came back with this
You're doing it wrong.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

giryan wrote:I did a proper vaguely exciting bit of "saving", went to FLBS to chat about tubeless conversions for my 29er, came back with this:

In that case I really hope that has a tubeless setup...

:wink:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:As promised for Tony and perhaps anyone else who appreciates skilled, hand-crafted goods ... the bow that arrived last week.

It's made from a single piece of Osage and given the twists and bends would be described as a 'character bow'. It's way easier to make a bow out of straight staves and something like this where the grain is twisted about 70 degrees along the length, takes real skill.

Nice that Stu :-bd have you shot it yet?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nice that Stu :-bd have you shot it yet?
Yes Tony, I was odd in the yard and shot a few dozen while I settled the string in. Given the looks, it actually shoots very well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Non-bike related mail...Caigs DeOxit and Fader Lube arrived yesterday so I can open and clean my desk. And a new machine head for the full scale bass.

Greetz

S.
FLV

Post by FLV »

jam bo wrote:Image

Waiting for me when I got back from holiday.
I dont know what that is? clue?
giryan

Post by giryan »

FLV wrote: I dont know what that is? clue?
details here:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =9&t=10617