The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 »

sean_iow wrote:
benp1 - where did you get your dropper bottles from? I had some off eBay a while back but I wasn't confident they wouldn't leak chain lube all over the inside of my frame bag as they seemed a but flimsy.
Ha, well these are cheap ones off eBay! Very cheap, with removable tops. I haven't tried them out so can't vouch for them yet. I also figured that one bottle would give me one boil on my 8g meths stove
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I might just be over-thinkng it, perhaps for flimsy I should be thinking flexible so more likely to bend than split if squashed, I'll give mine a try inside a plastic bag and see how it goes.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

A nice bit of on-bicycle-portage arrived from Beth & Ian at Wildcat this morning. Ordered on Friday taking advantage of their genuine Black Friday deals and arrived this morning despite me, being a miser, only taking up the 2nd class postage option. Excellent service, thanks.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

put up in garden to test tonight, its mainly for winter use or really wet weather multidays when quick pitches are a must - if its not windy then no guys are needed and it happily sits fully erect in under 4 minutes out of the bag! :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just got my toasty warm new Exped mat. Didn't go for the full on down version... figured it would be at least a year and a half before I consider a proper snow adventure.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Richard G wrote:Just got my toasty warm new Exped mat. Didn't go for the full on down version... figured it would be at least a year and a half before I consider a proper snow adventure.
You’ll be fine, I was toasty on my synmat on Saturday. Definitely sub zero. I think the down mats are for serious Baltic conditions or those who need to mtfu :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:Just got my toasty warm new Exped mat. Didn't go for the full on down version... figured it would be at least a year and a half before I consider a proper snow adventure.
We used Synmats in Lapland in February with no ill effect. You'll be reet!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

BigdummySteve wrote:
I think the down mats are for serious Baltic conditions or those who need to mtfu :wink:
I resemble that remark. :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bung in a late entry to Chilterns Bivi and we can all compare/heckle all our different mats :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

BigdummySteve wrote:I think the down mats are for serious Baltic conditions or those who need to mtfu :wink:
I've got quite a bit less... uhhh... insulation than many of the Bearbones riders. :D
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Pirahna wrote:
BigdummySteve wrote:
I think the down mats are for serious Baltic conditions or those who need to mtfu :wink:
I resemble that remark. :sad:
Not casting aspersions upon your hardiness, merely pointing out that the downmat is overkill for all but most extreme adventures, as always YMMV (or you could be soft) :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

.....with an Articulated Lorry, thanks to my Black Friday extravagance...
Surly Straggler frame, hope headset, a pair of 40mm nanos, 11-40t 9 speed sunrace sproks, Superstar chainring; then for the Fat bike a pair of Maxxis Collossussussess, A new crank and 26T ring plus an F10 Vulcan sleeping bag and a plastic hip flask. :???:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As my GoPro died near the end of the Iceland trip I have been in need of a new camera for filming. Anyways thanks to the loving fat bike folk from across the pond I've now got this new toy.
I've not had a 'camcorder' in nearly 20 years! Tis small and packed with plenty of features....
Image20171128_180555 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote:We used Synmats in Lapland in February with no ill effect. You'll be reet!
But you're a grizzled northerner, and I'm a southern softie! :|
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I feel as though I have surrendered any semblance of being a racer today.

I got a camping pillow in the post. :shock:

It’s surprisingly comfy and only weighs 40g.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Which one and how much?
RIP

Post by RIP »

and it also re-raises the question of how one deploys it and keeps it in whatever place is hoped-for ;-).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Cumulus 150 quilt with 22cm added arrived yesterday.

A good size for 6 foot 4 me. Weighs 418g. Has yards of spare shock cord and I only ordered it on 6th November.

Now I just need some warm weather. :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Borderer wrote:Which one and how much?
It's this one - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... llow-p5249

RIP wrote:and it also re-raises the question of how one deploys it and keeps it in whatever place is hoped-for ;-).
it does have some small loops on either side so could be elastic-ed onto a mat. I'll trail it a bit and see what whats needed
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks nice. Interesting cut-outs. Bit annoyed that my Exped mat doesn't have corresponding loops to those on the pillows, hence my "fleece pillow sleeve". I'm sure they used to.

Anyway, some nice "bear paws" (8g x 2) today from some bloke (ta) for my pole ends. Seemed like a bit of a frippery until I recently went to bed with my tarp about as high as the roof of St Paul's Cathedral but woke up with it touching my nose. When not fulfilling their designed usage they also make quite nice earrings.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ianfitz wrote:

RIP wrote:and it also re-raises the question of how one deploys it and keeps it in whatever place is hoped-for ;-).
it does have some small loops on either side so could be elastic-ed onto a mat. I'll trail it a bit and see what whats needed
It looks good. I use one from decathlon for a fiver, which isn't all that comfortable. But it was a fiver, so there's that.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well (s)he's not been yet with it but I've just hit the button on the ultra-rare "Totally Alive" Rezillos LP - only found one copy on whole tinternet. I know, I know, I can't stop. Someone slap me please.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm exactly the same with books Reg. Not just rare and expensive ones mind. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Borderer wrote:
ianfitz wrote:

It looks good. I use one from decathlon for a fiver, which isn't all that comfortable. But it was a fiver, so there's that.
My exped one tends to fly around a bit but once you've got it jammed under your head / neck it stays put. I tried various ways of tying it down using the loops on it but seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

A Hilleburg Anjan 2 tent in preparation for some new far and wide adventures starting next year.
The thinking was this is the last shelter I will ever have to buy :smile:
The old git in the yellow socks