The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Moder-dye »

Medium Moosetreks frame bags via EBay from the States. No issues with imports etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Moosetreks-Bikep ... B074XR4J8X
rsz_img_20180219_155644.jpg
rsz_img_20180219_155644.jpg (115.37 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Looks pretty good construction. Lined, openable horizontal divider, some stiffening on the non-drive side and decent zips with a 'Storm flap' on the top one. Extra reinforcing around the bottom, drive train area.

Fits both my road bikes just right, maybe a little squish in the MTB, but nothing worrying.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Picked up rather than delivered

New helmet for winter hill activities on foot
MSR trailshot water filter
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Nail gun !!
Boys and their toys :-bd
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

rufus748 wrote:Nail gun !!
Boys and their toys :-bd
jealous
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Zendure A3 power bank. Although it wasn't delivered, as because I live on an Island they wont deliver it here x( From the warnings about the battery on the front of the package anyone would think it's a UXB that any second could explode and not only take out the post office van but also sink the ferry!

Luckily there is a logistics company who come to the Island all the time (multiple lorries a day) who for the small fee of £10.20 will let you have it delivered to their Southampton depot and you can then collect it from their Cowes depot, I assume they have a blast proof container like the ones that spent nuclear fuel rods go in to keep it safe... or they just chuck it on the van with the other parcels :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

£10.20?!?!?! that is ridiculous!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

benp1 wrote:£10.20?!?!?! that is ridiculous!
That's only up to 1kg as well. It gets more expensive as the weight goes up. Not much we on the Island can do about that though :sad: Anything on Amazon's list that can't be delivered to an Island and there's not another way to do it, unless you know someone who lives on the mainland and are going over anyway and can pick it up. The wife is from Southampton and has friends who live there so I could of got it delivered to one of them but there is no plan to go over to see them any-time soon. If I made a special trip a day return on the ferry is £18 - and that's on foot/bike. Take the car and that's £60 minimum :o
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some tools including a torque wrench and bits.

A slightly late birthday present, dynamo wheel, for someone :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A pair of Montane Featherlight Pants from Sport Pursuit for apres ride, anti midge camp wear during summer bikepacking (or other lightweight camping) trips.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote:A pair of Montane Featherlight Pants from Sport Pursuit for apres ride, anti midge camp wear during summer bikepacking (or other lightweight camping) trips.
That

(and potentially trail running)

Assuming we all buy those trousers and that Outdry jacket, any potential BB meet is going to get a bit confusing.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Jurassic wrote:A pair of Montane Featherlight Pants from Sport Pursuit for apres ride, anti midge camp wear during summer bikepacking (or other lightweight camping) trips.
That

(and potentially trail running)

Assuming we all buy those trousers and that Outdry jacket, any potential BB meet is going to get a bit confusing.
Yeah well I have the obligatory Outdry jacket waiting to go as well to complete my BB uniform. Incidentally did anyone else notice that the Canadian freestyle skiers uniform at the Olympics was Outdry stuff?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Some Dunlop Squash shoes ..been challenged by my son to pick up the racket again. He is going to enter a world of pain when he's on the receiving end of the Barter cross court low smasher.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

sean_iow wrote:
benp1 wrote:£10.20?!?!?! that is ridiculous!
That's only up to 1kg as well. It gets more expensive as the weight goes up. Not much we on the Island can do about that though :sad: Anything on Amazon's list that can't be delivered to an Island and there's not another way to do it, unless you know someone who lives on the mainland and are going over anyway and can pick it up. The wife is from Southampton and has friends who live there so I could of got it delivered to one of them but there is no plan to go over to see them any-time soon. If I made a special trip a day return on the ferry is £18 - and that's on foot/bike. Take the car and that's £60 minimum :o
I feel for you. Same issues here and stupid extortionate fees. Good old parcel force and lost office don't charge extra, but still there's the limits on all sorts of seemingly innocuous goods :cry:

One big difference that ours is an over night 12 hour crossing :cry:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We have expensive delivery fees (or refusal to despatch) and we're on the mainland!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Sooooooo, today, arrived, a StorminStoveSystems cone and stove, which will make a lovely present for my wee brother's 50th next month. Ive teamed it with a Toaks pot, and posting it all to Aussie is going to cost, probably, like, a million pounds, so the skinny sod better appreciate it.

But the big news .... the BIG NEWS ... is the arrival this afternoon of an SMD Lunar Solo. T'is lovely. Gonna give it a run Friday night. Ive had a Lunar Duo for a couple of years and its been battered by all sorts of weather and misuse, as well as surviving DofE duty with my boy. Hoping the Solo is similarly robust.
I'm just going outside ...
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

We have expensive delivery fees (or refusal to despatch) and we're on the mainland!
At least I’m over the water. Albeit by a big f*ck off bridge. Very confusing I guess... :lol:
Give the dirt a little room.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

We used to be classed as UK mainland for most couriers ( I'm on the Isle of Wight) but that seems to have changed. I wouldn't mind if I had the scenery you guys have as compensation but I've just got muddy hills and we didn't even get any snow this year :sad:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Yesterday was goods and news day.

Arriving in the post was my 1st proper bikepacking luggage stuff - a frame bag and front bag from Restrap. I'm not expecting perfect, but as my first foray into it I'll at least start to understand what works for me. In diving there's a truism that the first kit you buy will be the wrong kit and you'll sell it within a year to buy the right kit. I imagine bikepacking is very much the same. :lol:

News arriving last night was that my May bank-holiday has just become free of other obligations. WRT it is then! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oli.vert wrote:Arriving in the post was my 1st proper bikepacking luggage stuff - a frame bag and front bag from Restrap. I'm not expecting perfect, but as my first foray into it I'll at least start to understand what works for me. In diving there's a truism that the first kit you buy will be the wrong kit and you'll sell it within a year to buy the right kit. I imagine bikepacking is very much the same. :lol:
Pretty much that: it's not so much that the kit is wrong, it might be that it doesn't suit how you load up the bike or that after a while you take less kit or ...

On the first BB winter event I did I struggled to get everything on the bike that I thought I'd need. This year's event I had more than enough room despite having fewer bags on the bike! You learn what you need not what you want.
techno

Post by techno »

Bringing spokes to go with the hubs and rims that have already arrived to build up a set of 29" wheels for my longitude :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

After putting a little something aside for my upcoming "Stu Hyper-Stove(TM)", I thought I'd spend a little bit of my "birthday money".

Up to now I've been using Exped H/L Synmat or Winterlite plus Exped H/L pillow plus Exped minipump. Everyone else seems to be using a schnozzel bag so I thought I'd try one out (40% off or something at Trekkit). It's 60g, 20g more than the minipump, but 20g less than the pump with the pillow. Strikes me I can pump my mat with it, then refill to use as a pillow! Saved 20g, bargain! And it's a drybag too of course. Will see next weekend if it works as a pillow.... Oh, and it comes in a plastic pouch which can be re-used for maps etc. They call it a "ditty" bag, which presumably means it could be used for carrying-out something else as well? :wink:

My lad "borrowed" my multitool the other day and I forgot to repossess it, so new one of those too - another Birzmann 20. Very attractive bit of workmanship, sexy black finish this time, as well as having the essential tools on it - bottle opener and knife.

R
Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

and brought some replacement Travers Prongs the other day (a bolt/ for the gorilla cage was seized/knackered) and yesterday (not quite the postie but) I picked up my new shiny socks from a local shop who ordered in for dirt cheap for me!!

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure ... -size-6-8-

Might try them out in todays -2 temps on the road bike...
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Bear paw lair arrived today, just need to find some time to get out and spend the night under it now.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Appreciate not TLS; however, 60ml Nalgene bottles.
One for black pepper, the other for mixed Italian herbs.
Transform even the most bland of food.

ImageUntitled by Asposium, on Flickr
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A couple of Borah Gear bivy bags, both with the window style anti-midge panel.