The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP »

Bringing things even further back down to earth (well, to a boot sole's height above it :lol: ) are my two pairs of "Profoot Double Deodorising Insoles". Brilliant they are. Not sure what the "double" bit is - makes my feet smell twice as nice?

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Picked up a wheelset at the post office. Carbon rims and DT 350 hubs, DT Comp spokes and brass nipples.
Looking forward to my new geeked out long travel trail bike and some Alpine trail hammering :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

a little wonky ring to go on my shorter cranks
Let the experiment continue :smile:
2924 miles per Gallon
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

One of these arrived today. I have an old piece of carbon felt in a box somewhere which I reckon will make a nice bed for 40ml of meths, which should be enough to do two maybe three boils with my Stormin Stoves cone. Maybe.

I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I made one with a Vaseline tin - meths burner using mesh and kiln insulation and an esbit burner in the lid. Fits nicely in a pocket stove Ti for a very compact multi fuel stove that fits inside a mug
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Yep they're pretty basic. This one was ok. 40ml of meths managed to get 750ml boiling twice and then came very close to a third before it puttered out. What it didnt do was burn clean - the mug was covered in soot so its clearly not burning clean, either the width of the tin or the 5 year old carbon felt I stuffed into it is the culprit. I might try again with some roofing insulation and packed it in with some mesh and see what I get. In the meantime the one that came with the cone will do nicely.
I'm just going outside ...
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

A set of poles for my TrAliStar, a bottle to keep meths in, and a sticker to tell me that I need to actually get out and use these things.

Cheers Stu!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mart wrote:a little wonky ring to go on my shorter cranks. Let the experiment continue :smile:
I bloody hate the Chainring bolts some manufacturers use - Cheap alloy and torx don't mix for me - why do we the need for change just for the sake of it. Give me stainless and hex everytime - always done me well in the past

Now sourced something proper!......Rant over - As you were folks
Last edited by Mart on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Two pedal spanners for travelling... both of which I had hoped would be lightweight. Neither of which actually are.

I think I'm just going to have to get some pedals that go on with Allen keys and use them for any such trips.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Porcelain Rocket Albert.
SMD Deschutes Solo.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

a couple of Ortlieb panniers, which are a vast improvement from my aldi/lidl ones
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Arrived yesterday at my wife's work so only at home today: Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket; a SRAM crankset; 10spd chain; 10spd derailleur; set of shifters; gear cables. Coming in the next day or so a new back wheel.

I might have a bit of work on the way :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

whitestone wrote:Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket; a SRAM crankset;
I see a problem here...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote:
whitestone wrote:Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket; a SRAM crankset;
I see a problem here...
Hope BB adapter :wink: The SRAM GXP bottom bracket doesn't have a good reputation.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Hope BB adapter :wink: The SRAM GXP bottom bracket doesn't have a good reputation.
As far as I could work out SRAM only seem to make 2 threaded BB's, a bottom spec one RRP about £30 and a ceramic one RRP about £170.

My experience of the cheap ones in MTBs is they don't last very long at all. I've had no issues using Hope ones with the adaptors.

I've got the cheap one in my road bike (came with it) and I have bought a ceramic Hope one from the classifieds to replace it as it was making a noise... not yet fitted as the noise turned out to be the seat post :oops: The SRAM one has now covered over 2000 miles in all weathers without issue but it never sees any mud.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:Porcelain Rocket Albert.
SMD Deschutes Solo.
Greg, Deschutes from where?

Postie wasn't around but I went to built up my new bike with the companies mechanic. Proud owner of a geeked out Bold Linkin Trail LT.
A 29er 160/154 mm überbike for the Alps. It's got good space for a frame bag too :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote:
whitestone wrote: Hope BB adapter :wink: The SRAM GXP bottom bracket doesn't have a good reputation.
As far as I could work out SRAM only seem to make 2 threaded BB's, a bottom spec one RRP about £30 and a ceramic one RRP about £170.

My experience of the cheap ones in MTBs is they don't last very long at all. I've had no issues using Hope ones with the adaptors.

I've got the cheap one in my road bike (came with it) and I have bought a ceramic Hope one from the classifieds to replace it as it was making a noise... not yet fitted as the noise turned out to be the seat post :oops: The SRAM one has now covered over 2000 miles in all weathers without issue but it never sees any mud.
This lot's going on my commuter so it's just going to be general road grime with a bit of mud from the canal towpath.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Some smaller drinks bottles. Ideally I'd end up with one sub 500ml, but no-one seems to sell them (there is one, but it needs a different cage).

I really just carry water for emergencies these days, but I can't get to the point where I'm willing to ride with none.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote:This lot's going on my commuter so it's just going to be general road grime with a bit of mud from the canal towpath.
In that case it should last forever, I had assumed this was the parts you'd wore out on the HT550 :smile:

The postman has just delivered my serviced Fox 32's back from TF Tuned, really impressed with their customer service. I'll be able to take the rigid's back off ready for my YD300 ITT mid July. As luck would have it I drove to work today as I had to go out to a meeting, easier than trying to carry the forks home under my arm riding the commuter, anyone would think I'd planned it that way :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I was really pleased with TF Tuned last time I used them. Fork felt better than it did when I bought it new.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The only bits I wore out on the HT550 were the rear brake pads which given the amount of mud that kept building up on the caliper wasn't surprising. I gave the bike a good clean/lubricate the other night and everything else was fine.

Hope stainless steel BB with a Raceface crank on the Solaris.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Steel bowl and mug for the wife for when we have a day out with the kids involving food/fire/stove

Couple of insulated snood/hats for the kids for this xmas' trip to Lapland

HH dry full set of baselayers for my son, for Lapland

nothing for me, boo
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Alpinum wrote:
Postie wasn't around but I went to built up my new bike with the companies mechanic. Proud owner of a geeked out Bold Linkin Trail LT.
A 29er 160/154 mm überbike for the Alps. It's got good space for a frame bag too :-bd
That certainly is a unique, special bike; would be very interested to know how you get on with it. I am tempted to buy a long travel bike for next year, but sticking to 650b wheels as I am a hobbit and already struggle with the short travel Spearfish 29er geometry. Also waiting to see how the now R3ACT suspension platform is received, as it might be the next genuine game changer in FS bikes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
Alpinum wrote:
That certainly is a unique, special bike; would be very interested to know how you get on with it. I am tempted to buy a long travel bike for next year, but sticking to 650b wheels as I am a hobbit and already struggle with the short travel Spearfish 29er geometry. Also waiting to see how the now R3ACT suspension platform is received, as it might be the next genuine game changer in FS bikes.
I've started a topic here
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=10235
for more on the bike and what I do with it etc.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The strap on my Brompton Game Bag broke, which I was pretty disappointed about considering it's not a cheap bag

Original retailer were disappointingly poor in sorting it as it was out of warranty, and were lame in reaching Brompton. So I skipped them and went straight to the manufacturer, Chapman bags.

They were most excellent, dropped it off in their London showroom (v near work). Was delivered to my house yesterday with a very professional fix. No postage charges which is a bonus

Had to use my Carradice SQR Slim in the meantime, which while perfectly fine, is less convenient than the Game Bag