The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"An all new, all dancing and very much singing prototype K-lite ... the most powerful dynamo light in the world just got much brighter. "

C'mon Stu, you've had this for ages now; what's the score?
Ah, it's a funny story - when I wrote the above, I had indeed just received said light. However, it turned out that I'd taken delivery of a parcel destined for the US and someone there had my parcel. Some messing about with DHL followed and eventually, all was right with the world and the correct one was delivered to the Towers.

I fitted it yesterday. I'll get some pics up for you later. A very different beast from the Pro-Bikepacker as there's no seperate control box and everything is contained within a single unit, except the charging / lighting change over switch ... that's still a seperate item, which makes sense given that you could mount it anywhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here you go Craig. As you can see, there's 3 LED, the 2 outside come on together at very low speeds, pretty much as soon as the wheel begins to turn and offer a very wide floody beam. The centre one comes into play as speed increases (about 8mph) and is much more focused / penetrating . The 'lump' on the side of the case where the lead enters illuminates for increased side visibilty and obviously there's one on each side.

Grubby hand to offer an idea of size.

Standlight is good for about 20 minutes and at full speed, the output is 1300 lumens. I believe there is another version that has less flood and more spot - aimed at those who may be riding faster on non-technical terrain.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tonight taken care of.

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

And delivered a package from BB Towers... some Permavent sheets for the ground, some stickers, and a shock pump and a Lefty manual both abandoned at the WRT by Dr Nick... :wink:

Cheers Stu

Just got to organise a BaM to return the manual to it's owner!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

a Wolftooth xl strap to hold a fat bike tube, and a copy of the Rough Stuff Cycling in the Alps reprint.

have to make sure I'm not forgetful and leave the book somewhere... :grin:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I fitted it yesterday. I'll get some pics up for you later. A very different beast from the Pro-Bikepacker as there's no seperate control box and everything is contained within a single unit, except the charging / lighting change over switch ... that's still a seperate item, which makes sense given that you could mount it anywhere.
That look really interesting - as you say, very different from previous model. No sign of it on the KLite website, so clearly still in development. Be interested to hear your thoughts, if you can stay up late enough to test it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it is pre-production Craig but I'm not sure how far away from launch it is. I know Kerry's put a lot of work into it.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Took delivery of a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3 at the weekend - someone here had posted them on sale from Sports Pursuit so picked one up hoping this could be a great way to get the Mrs and daughter into bikepacking (its usually just me and the boy). If my scheme to get the girls involved doesn't work it will still be useful for trips with me and the boy - my Vango Helium is OK for us now but as he gets bigger, its going to get a bit cramped.

Only had a test pitch in the living room but really impressed with the space - its huge for a 3 man tent! Its well thought out too - 2 doors, good vents and lots of storage pockets (the vango lacks all 3). Hopefully the Copper spur should provide a bit of living space where we can all sit up comfortably and play cards on an evening if the weather isn't too nice.

Packs down nice and small too - sans poles, it fits comfortably into an 8 litre drybag and only weighs 1.8 kg on the scales - planning a wee over-nighter this weekend to give it a test run so hoping the weather stays good!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Gas canister adaptor to let me use the cheap ones for trangia cooking

Kriega back protector for use with my kriega r35
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

One of them fancy carbon poles from wales arrived today.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

rudedog wrote:Took delivery of a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3 at the weekend - someone here had posted them on sale from Sports Pursuit
glad it came in useful!
Image Image
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A new cup. Is it wrong to get excited about a new cup?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A new cup. Is it wrong to get excited about a new cup?
Only if two girls came with it
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

STOP it right now :shock:

No, I'm excited because (a) It weighs 10g less than my Ti cup (b) it has 20ml more capacity (c) it matches the colour of my bike should I become crap at packing and feel the need to attach it to the outside of my bag (d) I lack imagination.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: (a) It weighs 10g less than my Ti cup (b) it has 20ml more capacity.
So assuming that you put water (or tea) in it, when full it will weigh 10g more than the previous one :smile: I guess it will be empty when you carry it so not such an issue.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Only if I fill it. :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Only if I fill it. :wink:
Ah, the extra capacity is for increased free-space at the top to allow an increased holding angle before spillage occurs, clever :geek:

On a more serious note, my postie has been busy lately...

As I bought a new (to me) frame just before the HT550 I am now about to build it up. This is officially a replacement frame for my current bike so all the parts will just move across... but the new frame is a 29er and my current bike is 650B, oh and it's got a different size seat post, so the postie (and the postie at my LBS) have delivered

Stans Arch Mk3 rims
Spokes - from Germany, how are they so much cheaper from there than anywhere in the uk?
Hubs - from the classifieds
Thomson seat post
Alternator dropouts for 142x12
Hope Pro 2 evo freehub, axle and end caps for 142 conversion

By the time I get home I should have waiting for me a 12mm DT Swiss axle (also from Germany) and a 1.5 deg angle headset :grin:

My frame bag isn't quite the right shape for the new frame so I've also received a waterproof zip ready to make a new one for this bike.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Dave Barter wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:A new cup. Is it wrong to get excited about a new cup?
:lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A set of Velo Orange Crazy Bars. For when life gets weird :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

A hunka bivi bag, despite me swearing I was never sleeping in a bivi bag ever again...oh and it being sent to number 5 instead of number 8 but it's a small village and we get a lot of parcels so the postman knows me :wink:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

The Rough Stuff Alps book, and.........(whispers) a Wildcat Drover. Not sure I'm ready to give up the Carradice just yet, but I'm interested to see how it feels by comparison.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

She dropped off a £17 customs bill for a parcel from (she said) the US. I've paid it but can't for the life of me think what I've ordered. Will find out tomorrow when it's delivered! :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Aha, mystery solved! Dot watching attire! :-bd
IMG-20180614-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180614-WA0004.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

sean_iow wrote: Spokes - from Germany, how are they so much cheaper from there than anywhere in the uk?
Even with the £7.50 delivery-to-the-uk charge, still only just over half the price of what we'd pay in the UK. I've no idea why this is so, either.  I've tried sweet-talking one of the LBS in Cambridge, but they only stock double-butted in silver, and all my [more recent] bikes, even the Pinnacle, have black spokes. And they were still 50% more expensive than Rose. *sigh* :roll:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

A Shimano FD Mount Adaptor from Wiggle. This is totally out of the blue as the duff one they originally sent me has already been replaced.
I have emailed their customer services but they don't seem to understand.
It not really an item I would think of as a spare.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.