The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP »

:smile:. Always on trend, you know me Ben :-bd.

I need to get some SPD carpet slippers (no not made OUT of carpet), a MIPS flat cap, and a woolly scarf to complete the picture of decrepitude....

( and the vinyl record cleaner obviously reinforces my old-fart credentials too of course. Or does it? I just had to wait 40 years and we've come full circle again! )

(( I'm sure it was your good self, or Zippy, who pointed out how much junk and kit I carry round in my fleece pockets. To be honest I don't know why I bother with stem cells, fuel tanks and the like at all. No wonder I give a good showing at the "weigh-ins" - it's all stashed in my pockets :wink: ))
Last edited by RIP on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A pair of B+ wheels hand delivered by Shona and Rich ... with the added bonus of a chat :-bd
Saves them the postage I guess :wink:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

An item of electrical wonderousness fell into my sweaty hands this morning, an AC charger for my old and no longer dusty Mini-disc player (MZ-R90).
Not quite vinyl quality sound but not far off - and it fits in a pocket, and no bugger can annoy me by calling me on it. Proper bass, clear top end, depth and warmth. Happy days.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Saves them the postage I guess :wink:
Weird to think they were passing, I mean really, who's ever 'just passing' here? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

A Mr Terence Jones for one! Some people must just have a nose for good tea and cake.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote: (( I'm sure it was your good self, or Zippy, who pointed out how much junk and kit I carry round in my fleece pockets. To be honest I don't know why I bother with stem cells, fuel tanks and the like at all. No wonder I give a good showing at the "weigh-ins" - it's all stashed in my pockets :wink: ))
That was me, might have been Zip as well though. It's genuinely impressive, they're Hermione's handbag. All sorts of bits and bobs stored in there

If you sew a few more pouches/pockets on you could probably do away with the bikepacking bags altogether
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

(I love 'Hermione's Handbag' too - surely that must be in Roger's Profanisaurus somewhere..)

Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

RIP wrote::lol:

(I love 'Hermione's Handbag' too - surely that must be in Roger's Profanisaurus somewhere..)
...possibly catalogued under 'Wizards Sleeves' Reg ;)
Never knowingly under biked...
RIP

Post by RIP »

I should have guessed you'd be along sharpish with that one Rich :-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

After the recommendation in the winter reading thread I've picked up the following bargains off ebay as a job lot :grin:

Running the Himalaya's (Richard and Adrian Crane) - Signed by John Hunt (who wrote the foreword) and Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Richard and Nicholas Crane - Signed by Richard Crane (although unless I change my name it's wishing someone else the best with their travels). I only had time to read the first few pages of Journey to the Centre of the Earth but I can already tell it's going to be a good read, which is handy as I'm a Celebrity is back on so I'll have something to do whilst the wife's watching that :lol:

I also received a rather lovely Brooks Cambium C15. If it's as comfortable as the packaging is impressive then it will be amazing. It came in a box with the guarantee and care instructions in a little envelope and it came with a copy of their own newspaper to celebrate 150 years of saddle making.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A little something to help wiggle errant arrows from unsuspecting trees :wink:

Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

and it came with a copy of their own newspaper to celebrate 150 years of saddle making.
As the wife pointed out to me while she was reading the one that came with the b17 woman's she got for her birthday last week after years of not wanting to break one in....

Article 10 "this is not a tour"

Today I'm waiting on the postie bringing the missing bits for my old silly light race bike that is being reserected as I've been called to arms for the strathpuffer in January.

Lost the bolt for my SS tensioner and then crank tensioner nut + the pawls/springs and seal from my sp3 hubs . Biketart to the rescue.

Other than that we weigh in at 17.8lbs with suspension on a large frame. 34:16 and sids. Here's hoping it flies like it uses to.

Screwfix also delivering compression fittings and 8mm copper pipe for rerouting the gas in the van
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A little something to help wiggle errant arrows from unsuspecting trees :wink:

Blinking flip, that's a bit big for "wiggling" isn't it? Do you mean you'll be pollarding with it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's surprising just how stuck some arrows can become Tim :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I can't believe a man of your calibre and inclination hasn't made something "specific" for the job :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't believe a man of your calibre and inclination hasn't made something "specific" for the job :wink:
Knifes are kind of traditional though, especially big ones ... believe it or not, I'll actually be 'under-knifed' with this on the average rove but luckily a larger version is available :wink:
Joe

Post by Joe »

Had an Exped Synmat Hyperlite delivered yesterday, good timing too as I'm moving into a new house tomorrow and don't have a bed yet...

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yet more panda fodder - bamboo balaclava from BAM Clothing. Half price with WINTER15 code. Much softer than any nasty itchy polyester/merino stuff.

With all my black bamboo clobber on I now look like Milk Tray Man. Leave your window ajar tonight and I'll scale your wall and drop the chocs off.

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

You and your euphemisms Reg...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

BB pole,feet and some cool badges :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

And delivered a pair of WTB i31 rims, a SON dynamo hub and a hope rear hub, I shall soon be a man of many wheels :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Some tiny little plastic dropper bottles. Handy for putting oil in to take with me bikepacking. I've had a few trips where a top up would have been good but I didn't have any with me. This will be a problem no more, unless I forget to pack them
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

benp1 wrote:Some tiny little plastic dropper bottles. Handy for putting oil in to take with me bikepacking. I've had a few trips where a top up would have been good but I didn't have any with me. This will be a problem no more, unless I forget to pack them
On a similar theme, I ordered two small bottles of chain oil from CRC in the sale, only £3 each and at 30ml the ideal size to take on trips. I needed to make the order up to £9 for free delivery so ordered some drink tablets (also on sale) to bring the total to £10. I had an email the other day to say the items were being dispatched from different depots so would arrive as 2 parcels, which kind of makes the minimum order value a bit pointless. The tablets had been dispatched. Yesterday this arrived.

They were all that was in the box. I know they say they do it this way as the card is recyclable and jiffy bags aren't... but I also had a jiffy bag in the post from wiggle with some brake pads in and they are all one company, mind you the jiffy bag was huge, like A3 size! I would buy all this locally if I could to save the packaging but sadly my LBS soesn't stock pads for my brakes. And to top it off I also had an email saying the chain lube was no longer available and I'd get a refund :roll:

benp1 - where did you get your dropper bottles from? I had some off eBay a while back but I wasn't confident they wouldn't leak chain lube all over the inside of my frame bag as they seemed a but flimsy.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Big parcels are less likely to get lost in the 'system'.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've had similar "silly" sized boxes in the past for small items. There was a piece on that there telly about it a while ago: basically the warehouse system indicates the smallest box that the items will require plus a bit for packing just in case they need it. If they've run out of that size the system just uses the next size up. (Or the packer is lazy and just shoves stuff in whatever comes to hand)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry