The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote:It's this one - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -400-p3529, there's a lid to go with it as well (separate purchase)

I can fit it with the top/bottom facing to the sides of the frame bag if that makes sense (if you were looking at the bike from the side it would be another circle)
Thanks, yeah that makes sense. Will have a measure up!
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

and delivered a pair of Whispbar roof bars and a Thule upride 599 rack and (rear wheel) fat bike adapter, which is easily swopped over if I want to carry a more sensible bike.. :grin:

the rack holds the wheel and has no frame clamp.

Oh, and a lezyne xl pump
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

...and dropped me off some Lusso goodies and my Dogtag.

And whilst not exactly the postie, my LBS will drop Lois off in an hour's time after full strip/clean/rebuild. Test ride tonight ready for the weekend.

Greetz

S.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I got a Garmin Oregon 700 today to replace my ageing Dakota
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

... half the bits to make a cheap, lightweight emergency chain-splitter:

Image plus Image

Except that they sent the wrong breaker pin (hooman error).

Anyways, should eventually be a workable splitter weighing less than 30g, and tiny too :-bd
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Andy at backcountry Scot has sent me down a revelate 8l t-pin - looks totally bombproof. Tomorrow ive got a two day circuit to bodmin and back to try it ( and me out ) in time for Scotland later this month.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Some new pedals, xt spd. This means that the only moving parts on the bike to make it through the winter are the headset and the dyno hub and I think the headset might have been creaking the other day :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

More WRT prizes ... the thrill of it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Wilkyboy wrote:... half the bits to make a cheap, lightweight emergency chain-splitter:

Image plus Image

Anyways, should eventually be a workable splitter weighing less than 30g, and tiny too :-bd
I have those bits on a lezyne multitool. They’ve worked well for several years now. :-bd
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

ianfitz wrote:
Wilkyboy wrote:... half the bits to make a cheap, lightweight emergency chain-splitter:

Image plus Image

I have those bits on a lezyne multitool. They’ve worked well for several years now. :-bd
Yebbut, I'm rather fond of my Topeak Mini 9 multitools (one per bike) as I find them very usable, whereas the do-everything ones are just awful to do anything serious with. But I still need a chain splitter (maybe, one day) and the Park foldable one weighs a rather lardy 124g.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Dr Nick wrote:and delivered a pair of Whispbar roof bars and a Thule upride 599 rack
Hello nick :-H I was looking at a similar setup for my newly acquired jag/mondeo but f**k me gently! they are expensive! The other option of getting a tow bar for a rear rack is also a bit steep. I’ll have to sort something soon or I’ll have to leave the children at home when we go to Devon next.....
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Image plus Image

The wing bit is also 2 sizes of spoke key and a valve core removal tool on mine :-bd
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

sean_iow wrote:The wing bit is also 2 sizes of spoke key and a valve core removal tool on mine :-bd
I can't see how this wing can be used to adjust spokes — I carry a Fiber Spoke anyway, which includes its own spoke key.

The larger opening on the wing is exactly right for removing a valve core — thanks for the info as I've just gone tubeless and pliers are so awkward :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Had a look online and not all the wings are the same it turns out. Mine is like the one below

You can just make out the square sided opening on the back, there's one each end to fit the different sized nipples. I guess the one on the front might fit a mulitspline nipple? I've never had to use the spoke key as I build my own wheels and tension them up properly to start with :lol:
The chain tool fits my wide ss chain better than my mini Park one.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

BigdummySteve wrote:
Dr Nick wrote:and delivered a pair of Whispbar roof bars and a Thule upride 599 rack
Hello nick :-H I was looking at a similar setup for my newly acquired jag/mondeo but f**k me gently! they are expensive! The other option of getting a tow bar for a rear rack is also a bit steep. I’ll have to sort something soon or I’ll have to leave the children at home when we go to Devon next.....
Hi Steve, :-H

You're not wrong. But I'm still using some Thule conventional bike racks that my brother gave me. He bought them in 1999 so my logic was that Thule kit lasts :-bd

The whispbar fit between the roofrails not over them so less carrying room but more aero - so I'll get sone savings in petrol - until I stick a bloody great fat bike on the roof :lol:

But all in much cheaper than a tow bar and hinged rear rack which is needed for the car's rear 'barn doors'.

And I intend to keep the car a very long time so won't need to change 'em
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

and delivered a Sunrace 11_46 cassette. The lowest gear feels like a turbo session, lots of spinning with no forward motion.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

sean_iow wrote:Had a look online and not all the wings are the same it turns out. Mine is like the one below

You can just make out the square sided opening on the back, there's one each end to fit the different sized nipples. I guess the one on the front might fit a mulitspline nipple? I've never had to use the spoke key as I build my own wheels and tension them up properly to start with :lol:
The chain tool fits my wide ss chain better than my mini Park one.
I forgot I ordered both the alloy and the stainless "wings" — you're correct, the stainless one does have the groove to take two nipple sizes. However, the stainless wing is 24g while the alloy one is 8g. A Spokey is 12g.

And that's good to know about the fit on a SS chain as I ride fixed on road (audax) and so I'll probably build a second one for the Carradice pocket :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use a KMC Z610 which is 3/32 wide. If you have an 1/8 chain it might not fit. I doubt you would have an 1/8 chain if you're counting grams as they're not exactly the lightest! My Z610 is heavy enough.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

...and delivered a package direct from Bearbones Towers, a 22g stove, BAM badge and some stickers for good measure! Thanks to Stu for getting it out so quickly, I'm sure you've got plenty to do this week as it is.

ImageIMG_20180504_173411 by Blair Caldwell, on Flickr

Good haul for a Friday

ImageIMG_20180504_174056 by Blair Caldwell, on Flickr

Making a brew in the garden

ImageIMG_20180504_190829 by Blair Caldwell, on Flickr

Just checking :lol:

ImageIMG_20180504_201602 by Blair Caldwell, on Flickr

A gentle reminder!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

An all new, all dancing and very much singing prototype K-lite ... the most powerful dynamo light in the world just got much brighter. The thing I'm finding difficult to understand is quite how it got from Oz to the Towers in 4 days over a bank holiday weekend :shock:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:An all new, all dancing and very much singing prototype K-lite ... the most powerful dynamo light in the world just got much brighter. The thing I'm finding difficult to understand is quite how it got from Oz to the Towers in 4 days over a bank holiday weekend :shock:
Just in time for the long days :roll:
Be interested in the review.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just in time for the long days :roll:
I'm all about the timing me.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: The thing I'm finding difficult to understand is quite how it got from Oz to the Towers in 4 days over a bank holiday weekend :shock:
Must have beamed it over...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

A pair of water-proof socks! Just in time for the WRT. I was hoping it was a good omen when they didn't arrive in time....it was. :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'm with Oli on this one. My Giro D'Wool gloves were on my desk when I got home yesterday. In a way, it's probably a good thing.

Greetz

S.