The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Oli.vert

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Oli.vert »

...and delivered a Cumulus 250 quilt, made 13cm longer and 10 cm wider and delivered in under 4 weeks. Outstanding workmanship and attention to detail. :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Oli.vert wrote:...and delivered a Cumulus 250 quilt, made 13cm longer and 10 cm wider and delivered in under 4 weeks. Outstanding workmanship and attention to detail. :-bd
Best money I've spent since I started this malarkey, find it more comfortable without all the elastics to hold it to the matt
ton

Post by ton »

a nice new Alpkit ordos 2 man tent. i was going to buy a tarp style tent. but i am glad i didnt to be honest.
this is lighter than anything i have ever had, and goes up in 5 minutes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and, no it's not actually mine but I will be riding it for a while and trying hard to avoid looking at the power meter :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
yeha

Post by yeha »

Oli.vert wrote:...and delivered a Cumulus 250 quilt, made 13cm longer and 10 cm wider and delivered in under 4 weeks. Outstanding workmanship and attention to detail. :-bd
Can I be cheeky and ask how tall you are and how much extra to get a custom version?
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:... and, no it's not actually mine but I will be riding it for a while and trying hard to avoid looking at the power meter :wink:

That looks bloody nice :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, it only arrived this afternoon Jay (along with the rain). 'Tis a Travers DIRTI and full of carbon / Ti lovliness ... in fact I've only ever seen more Ti on an xray :wink:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Aye, it only arrived this afternoon Jay (along with the rain). 'Tis a Travers DIRTI and full of carbon / Ti lovliness ... in fact I've only ever seen more Ti on an xray :wink:
You best go a ride some gravel in the rain :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Anker 10,000 mAh (yeah right) battery.

Little bit annoyed, because it's 25g heavier than they said it should be, and I'd have bought a different one had I known (I had a number of options).

Hopefully it'll have a relatively good capacity to make up for it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

2nd hand tommy dropper post off ebay (bought on a whim, don't knock it 'till you tried it etc) for the fat bike but will go in the Jones too.
Better go and find some steep hills now....
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

yeha wrote:
Can I be cheeky and ask how tall you are and how much extra to get a custom version?
I'm 6'2" and racing snake shaped with long limbs. I asked for 10cm longer and wider, and was told they'd do 10cm wider but 13cm longer as that's the width of one baffle. Becomes 290g of down rather than 250g, cost was 247€ rather than the standard 195€. Money well spent I reckon though tomorrow is the acid test as I'll actually get to bivvy out in it.

I wanted the extra width as I can't deal with the constriction of a normal bag and sleep better (sleep at all) if I can move around. Having long limbs this gives me some room to move an elbow or a knee without feeling like I'm in some medieval torture tube.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

because it's 25g heavier than they said it should be
Is that empty or charged? :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Oli.vert wrote: I'm 6'2" and racing snake shaped with long limbs. I asked for 10cm longer and wider, and was told they'd do 10cm wider but 13cm longer as that's the width of one baffle. Becomes 290g of down rather than 250g, cost was 247€ rather than the standard 195€. Money well spent I reckon though tomorrow is the acid test as I'll actually get to bivvy out in it.
Out of interest what weight does it come in at? My EE quilt is about the same rating and is also long/wide. It comes in at around 580g I think. It’s about the same weight as a similarly rated sleeping bag (WM summerlite) but from experience I’d say it was slightly warmer and has hydrophobic down
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Mariner wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if they worked that way.

Sadly the tested capacity on it was pretty bad (~6350 mAh)... but even so, it's still the best battery I have for weight to charge ratio. I'm going to order one from a different manufacturer tomorrow to see if their numbers are any more realistic.

(My plan is to carry two fairly chunky batteries on TNR so I can do the whole thing on my Edge 1000 without needing a power point anywhere)

Unrelated... as a face / side sleeper I'm definitely giving a lot of thought to trying out a quilt. I can't be dealing with trying to sleep on my back, and that pretty much seems to be the only option in a bag.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

benp1 wrote:
Oli.vert wrote: I'm 6'2" and racing snake shaped with long limbs. I asked for 10cm longer and wider, and was told they'd do 10cm wider but 13cm longer as that's the width of one baffle. Becomes 290g of down rather than 250g, cost was 247€ rather than the standard 195€. Money well spent I reckon though tomorrow is the acid test as I'll actually get to bivvy out in it.
Out of interest what weight does it come in at? My EE quilt is about the same rating and is also long/wide. It comes in at around 580g I think. It’s about the same weight as a similarly rated sleeping bag (WM summerlite) but from experience I’d say it was slightly warmer and has hydrophobic down
Including stuffsack it's 602g, 11g of which is stuffsack - I wouldn't usually bother weighing stuffsacks but you made me do it. :wink:
The quilt has a plastic YKK zip down the bottom quarter (opens both ends), elastic drawstring at foot and neck, with clips at neck and on the 2 mat elastics which are roughly at chest and waist height.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unrelated... as a face / side sleeper I'm definitely giving a lot of thought to trying out a quilt. I can't be dealing with trying to sleep on my back, and that pretty much seems to be the only option in a bag.
Richard, Nemo make bags designed for side sleepers. Not cheap though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:
Mariner wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if they worked that way.

Sadly the tested capacity on it was pretty bad (~6350 mAh)... but even so, it's still the best battery I have for weight to charge ratio. I'm going to order one from a different manufacturer tomorrow to see if their numbers are any more realistic.

(My plan is to carry two fairly chunky batteries on TNR so I can do the whole thing on my Edge 1000 without needing a power point
Rich: I reckon that my Oregon uses about 1/4 of the charge of that Anker battery pack per day. Over six days' riding if I hadn't recharged my camera I'd have ended up with everything as fully charged as at the start. I was using an SP dynamo so for reasonably paced touring I reckon I'm about even regarding electric power usage. Phone was on airplane mode most of the time
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Richard, Nemo make bags designed for side sleepers. Not cheap though.
Cheers, will have a look.

Edit - Looks interesting... but for that price, I'd need to try one first.
whitestone wrote:Rich: I reckon that my Oregon uses about 1/4 of the charge of that Anker battery pack per day. Over six days' riding if I hadn't recharged my camera I'd have ended up with everything as fully charged as at the start. I was using an SP dynamo so for reasonably paced touring I reckon I'm about even regarding electric power usage. Phone was on airplane mode most of the time
The Edge 1000 is garbage. Is why I was so (wrongly) excited to replace it with the Lezyne. It's got a ~1,100 mAh (tested) capacity and it'll burn through that in about 12 hours or so (depending on map use / brightness).

So based on that I reckon I'll need around 10 charges to get through a solid 7-8 days of riding. So roughly ~11,000 mAh. Or just under 2 of those "10,000" mAh battery packs.

I could of course stop somewhere for lunch and get some extra charge, but I'd rather just know I have enough to get through. I don't really do enough bikepacking to consider getting wheels made up with dynamos, but I can definitely see the appeal.

Edit - I know I could go back to the Oregon / eTrex, but I had so many issues with them (especially destroying mounts) that I just can't bring myself to.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Oli.vert wrote:
benp1 wrote:
Including stuffsack it's 602g, 11g of which is stuffsack - I wouldn't usually bother weighing stuffsacks but you made me do it. :wink:
The quilt has a plastic YKK zip down the bottom quarter (opens both ends), elastic drawstring at foot and neck, with clips at neck and on the 2 mat elastics which are roughly at chest and waist height.
Sounds like they're pretty similar then. This is the problem with being tall, our kit weighs more!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wildcat frame bag just arrived. Looks like a great bit of kit, fair play.

I just hope it fits!
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

A TNR 2018 patch and some lovely tri colour 'stop being soft' stickers have arrived this morning :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Oh yeah, those too. :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Just back from a night out on Long Mynd...to find my TNR3 patch and stickers. Thanks James. :)

Greetz

S.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

and dropped off a c2c map for a tour i’ve been talked into doing in October
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

...and dropped off a bivvy bag (thanks Bob) and a Goatlink. With this damp weather we have just now, a good time to try out the Outdry and bag with a cheeky overnighter.

Greetz

S.