The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 »

Broke a spoke on my rear wheel so went to pick up a new spoke yesterday (well 2 actually, wasn't sure which size, will take the other one back).

Annoyingly when I took the cassette off to get to the hub the whole freehub came off as the cassette was so stuck, cue some cleaning/greasing
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Despite my best efforts not to start building another bike (I even managed to resist a Steel Salsa El Mariachi recently even though I've wanted one for ages) the postman delivered a massive box yesterday containing.....a titanium Salsa Selma frame #-O

It's basically a ti El Mariachi from the time when the ti El Mar didn't have the alternator dropouts, so they also produced the Selma which gained the alternator dropouts and they didn't fit any gear cable guides which made it single speed specific. When one came up on eBay in my size how was I supposed to resist?

A bit late to build up and test before I leave for Scotland (and it would feel like being unfaithful to my trusty steel Genesis if it didn't get to go after the sterling service through the winter) but it should be ideal for the BB300 :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

From this..

To this..

I can carry 2 tubes for less weight and space than one.

Does anyone know if Parks patches work on these too?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Tubilto list their own patches but I don't know if they have a special adhesive to stick to the tubes or are just orange.

I recently read that normal self-adhesive patches can be used to mend sleeping mats although I've not tried it. No use for your question but does mean I will no longer carry my Thermarest ones supplied with the mat.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I had to use my Tubolito at the weekend after a split in my tyre refused to seal. I think I didn't get all of the shard of whatever was stuck in there out as the tube slowly deflates (takes about 4 hours) so I'll be checking what works and what doesn't :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote:I had to use my Tubolito at the weekend after a split in my tyre refused to seal. I think I didn't get all of the shard of whatever was stuck in there out as the tube slowly deflates (takes about 4 hours) so I'll be checking what works and what doesn't :???:
I’ve often thought a slime inner tube would make a good backup for this reason but yet to try it.

Hardly lightweight though
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: I think I didn't get all of the shard of whatever was stuck in there out...:
This is the one real drawback with tubeless. I fitted new tires at the weekend and I counted about 9 thorns sticking into the front tyre. That was just the ones I could see. If I had to put a tube in I'd of had to get all of them out plus any more that were broken off close to the surface and only show then the tyre flexes. However, if I ran tubes that would be a minimum of 9 punctures (for just the front tyre since October) so if we say the same for the rear that would be at least 18 times I'd of been at the side of the track (no doubt in the rain) fixing punctures. There were probably more that went in but pulled back out and were also sealed. I'd never consider tubes as viable again, at least not down here, other than an emergency fix for a split tyre.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My Borah side zip bivy arrived from the US yesterday just in time for my three week break from work (no VAT bill as far as I can tell either which is a result). :cool:
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

A 450ml ti mug and long handled spork arrived today from China. £16 for both and arrived a week after ordering.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"full set of "The Old Metal Mines of Mid Wales Vols 1-6"".... addendum:

Now reading Volume 4. Superb record of a vanished way of life and when "going to work" involved getting dirty and quite possibly deaded. Obviously BP fulfils both of those parts of our lives now. Anyway, on topic (ish)... here's a nice photo from the 70's of a mine not too far from BBT; the point being that the party of explorers got there apparently bikepacking, I'm sure I can see a bar bag there and some seatpacks. The best bit of course is the scene looks like a still from Comic Strip's "Five Go Mad...." - note Julian on the right there with his shorts and "I'm in charge" pose, Ann being subservient and looking after the picnic and washing up, Dick has probably reverted to his full name Richard to avoid falling foul of Rule #1, and presumably George and Timmy the dog are being naughty and exploring the dangerous mine shaft.....down which the baddies are hiding the loot.. if it hadn't been for those pesky kids...

Lashings of ginger beer all round.......

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not quite delivered but "Click and Collect": A pair of Bontrager tyres: XR3 in 2.4" and an XR2 in 2.2". The sidewalls of those I've just taken off felt very thin so possibly not ideal for next week :oops:
Mart

Post by Mart »

A pair of wolf tooth pliers, having seen 2 chains go during the WRT (shonky maintenence i recon)
Love the feel of these well made, pretty light and multi functional :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Mart wrote:A pair of wolf tooth pliers, having seen 2 chains go during the WRT (shonky maintenence i recon)
Love the feel of these well made, pretty light and multi functional :-bd

I think you mean "power" :wink:
Trying to ride bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A copy of "Lost Lanes Wales", a Hope BB bearing, A Hope BB bearing drift set and most importantly - some Smidge :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

From Ewan of DD Hammocks demo show used bin at a great price

Hardly usable for ultra light bike packing, but perfect for use near the campervan when chilling out, in the garde, on un level ground or if there are no trees.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There's more tech in that than the new Mersey crossing :lol:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Despite being the same order my 30 tooth chain ring and spare brake hose kit came in a big FO box but my replacement brake pads came in a separate padded envelope.... CRC at its best? Not bad considering I only ordered them Sunday afternoon.

Also delivered: Arvo Part The Symphonies cd. Yay!
Give the dirt a little room.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Garmin Edge 25, mainly to see things like how fast i'm going when i'm commuting, purely out of interest. The Oregon is a bit too big and too much faff to stick on my bars for my commute.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

gordonbennett wrote:Took a punt on the Lomo seat pack as featured in Norm’s review, arrived today and very impressed. A Large Alpkit large fuel pod from BB classifieds. Also took delivery of a couple of pairs of Polaris waterproof shorts as pointed out in the bargain thread. A pair of some stubby bar ends for adding a few other hand position options. BRS stove and wind shelter.

Slowly building up the core kit.
How have you found the BRS stove? Which one did you go for?
Image Image
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A spraydeck for the inflatable. Some waterproof phone pouches.

Canoeing the off the west coast of Cumbria this weekend with the lad. What could possible go wrong :cool: :wink: :shock: :o
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

A new rear wheel as I'd cracked my wtb scraper , unsurprisingly the tyre was a sh@te to get off the old rim , surprisingly still full of sealant from last October and went onto the hope rim with no problems and went up with a normal track pump :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A box of goodies from the Towers

Will this be enough to curb my butane/propane addiction?
RIP

Post by RIP »

... with me rail tickets for a sort-of-C2C jape in August. Ride from Port Carlisle to Tynemouth via Alston and Consett. Wonder if that cheeky barn with straw is still there from last year. Train from Milton Keynes to Carlisle and back - £17 each way, insanely good value. Even more bonkers is £3, yes the princely sum of THREE QUID, for Newcastle - Carlisle.

All I need now is those nice extra tarp Y-pegs that 'Madness kindly offered me :-bd :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

.... Nowt, apart from a bank statement which is quite unfair seeing as it's meant to be cheery Friday an'all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

a Wolftooth B- RAD :roll: double bottle cable mount bracket and mount, and strap/ bracket for my Lezyne fat-pump.

And some Stan's fluid too.

and shed loads of flap discs and cutting and grinding discs - as my micro-weldathon :mrgreen: on my camper continues
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...