The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by sean_iow »

I agree with you Stu, my wife is not so sure. To keep my purchasing under control I 'try' to make sure I've not got more than one un-read lined up next. Trouble is with the suggestion on here it's not always possible to be that restrained. I might need to build a library on the side of the house :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Another way that living here is like the UK but 30 years ago. Yesterday I had an hour to kill in our local village (pop 1,000) so called into the library (every village has one) and enrolled. Given my still poor Catalan, I didn't have great expectations,sic, of finding anything. I quickly found a 2m long shelf full of cycling and walking guides including a Cicerone guide to our local mountain range in English. You get a month's loan, the place was humming with school kids doing homework and chatting. Bliss.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry Stu, I was doing my usual semi-ironic reverse wee take - frequently failing dismally :roll: of course. As you know I'm in full agreement with you, it's impossible to have 'too many', same for maps!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I might need to build a library on the side of the house
Done that :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Garmin Oregon 700
£180 off eBay
As far as I can tell is brand new and unused
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Asposium wrote:Garmin Oregon 700
£180 off eBay
Linky?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Dave Barter wrote:
Asposium wrote:Garmin Oregon 700
£180 off eBay
Linky?
there was only one for sale.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

...and delivered me a shiny Ramin 3+, amazing bike! Totally worth the money, especially with an extra 20% off...
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

in the shape of the chap I sit next to at work and dropped off a Rab Silk liner and a Ray Mears Osprey sleeping bag as they were just sitting around collecting dust!

completely bowled over :)

the liner will be super useful and the mrs will love the bag as it's a bit too bulky for the trips I have planned.

hooray for nice colleagues.
Image Image
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

And left me a very lovely bedrock bags black dragon dropper seat bag. The fat bike doesn't have a dropper but has very limited tyre to saddle clearance.

The bag has a very neat small metal mounting bracket to stop sag.

Spendy (especially with duty and vat) but very nicely made. And a bedrock bags cap too.

And from alpkit some ti pegs, a stem cell, a folding spork and a small top tube bag.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

... and left me a Gerber Vice Pocket Mini Tool:

A one-off price drop at £13 and weighs a measly 70g :-bd

I should probably post it to the "wot pliers?" thread, too.  I need pliers to remove the pins to replace my V-brake pads every half day or so, after Welsh Grit takes its toll :roll:
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Do you think the pliers are small enough to help split quick chain links?
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Stevemorg wrote:Do you think the pliers are small enough to help split quick chain links?
Do you mean, are they pointy-enough to fit between the side plates? It will fit half-inch and 8-speed, but won't quite fit into a 10-speed chain.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

...and dropped off a dinky little trail shot.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A MudHugger rear mudguard to keep me bum clean :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

A bamboo t-shirt and some bamboo socks. Want to see what all the fuss is about.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one 'Dog. You'll love 'em. Trust me - you'll NEVER have to wear any other clothes or wash those ever again. Honest. And silky smoooooooth too. Get some leggings too and you'll be sorted.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

... with a couple of rolls of titanium foil/sheet. 10cm x 50cm each. Time for some new windshields. Also fiddling around with some spare bits of ally that Stu kindly sent me, so I'll soon have enough windshields to set me up for a nice windy day on Skegness beach, along with my hankie knotted at the corners, thermos of tea, and blanket round my knees.

Also, after Mr Fitz mentioned he'd acquired some, I've gone for a set of Dissent 133 gloves, or more accurately "The Dissent 133 Gloves System". Anything with "System" in its name just has to be good doesn't it? Stands to reason. Ian just has the waterproof outer layer I think, but I've pushed the boat out and bought the "System" - well, three quarters of it anyway: base layer, insulating layer, and waterproof layer. Didn't bother with the "windproof" layer. Dissent reckon with all four parts, you'd have an 11-in-1 glove system (oops, done it again!).

I'm on the edge of medium/large so bought both to test them and they're refunding the medium ones. They also claim you can return "used" ones for a month after purchase which is a pretty rare offer. I think the fingers of the insulating layer are a bit long, but other than that they look very nice quality.

They also come in a special zipped box which seems to be the in-thing these days (as per Joystick etc), although I reckon it's overpackaging, and also three little coathanger things for drying them after washing! We'll see how they stand up to the WRT. Can only be better than utterly useless S**l****z.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers Reg, your post has caused me to order a pair of the waterproof outer layers :roll: Their website knew who I was and sent a code to my mobile, I then entered into the website and all my delivery and payment details were automatically added which made it too easy to spend the money :lol:

It's also worrying that they knew who I was but I have no recollection of buying anything from them before... so either they are part of a group that sells other things or I've I'm suffering from memory loss?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Grrr! As soon as I start looking at their website I get a popup asking me to sign up for their newsletter/a competition. This almost brings my browser to a halt :roll: Why on earth do so many firms do this? A simple link somewhere on the page is all that's needed. It's just data (your details) harvesting. [-X
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Curious. Didn't get any weird popups and it didn't know who I was - "Man Of Mystery" that's me. Yeah, bit much when they pre-have all your details! Just got to think of a use for the zippy box thing now.

chris n

Post by chris n »

36T N/W ring to go on the gnarmac bike for the WRT, and a pair of centrelock adaptors for the new wheels on my road bike. There should be some beer being delivered tonight too, so a fettling session seems to be in order. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Beer being delivered. That the sort of service I like. How big a barrel is it though to justify delivery?! :wink:

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Just tried on my bamboo t-shirt. Its lovely. Bit baggy but that's just growing room. Light, silky smooth and, according to Reg, has magical properties regarding its capacity to absorb my essence for week, if not years, without smelling like a summer roadkill badger the Bucks County Council street cleaners have ignored for six weeks.

But none of that counts for anything. It could be a scratchy saggy rag for all I care. The only thing that matters is the logo on my left tit.

I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

Bit of coincidence that, because the titanium rolls that I just received have a similar logo on them..... oh.......