Alpkit Bikepacking Storage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

danielgroves

Alpkit Bikepacking Storage

Post by danielgroves »

Hi all,

My first post, so go easy on me ;)

I was recommended posting about this here from the folks on Singletrack World. Anyhow, I have a few questions on the AlpKit bike packing kit as I'm intending to do some multi-day trips on Dartmoor after my final uni exams in May before leaving Plymouth, as well as LeJog over the summer.

First up, anyone running the framebags with a large 29er on-one inbred? I'm not sure what width to go for. The bike is currently running 1*10, but I'd like to have enough clearance for the option of running a granny ring while touring. Would I get away with a 6cm framebag? I'd obviously like the largest possible for more carrying capacity. Anyone care to comment on any upgrade options they went for? I'm thinking of upgrading to the surgeon opening.

How stable is the Koala seat pack? Do those using one find the unit reasonably stable, or that it constantly moves around, or restricts movement at all?

Also after general feedback of how people find the Kanga? Does this interfere with brake levers, shifters, etc?

Cheers,

Dan.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Chew

Re: Alpkit Bikepacking Storage

Post by Chew »

danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Excellent start, thanks Chew. Sounds like I won't have any issues with a Koala from that review.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Also worth looking here for luggage options:

http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

If your worried about the frame bag getting chewed by the rings you could always have the bag made to not go down that far. You will be surprised by how much you can get in a frame bag so wider is not always better because the bigger the bag the more chance of it bulging and wider bags bulge more than thinner bags, addding a divider will help to stop bulging. Also, the more space you have the more you will take with you that you could probably do without. On a large frame i'd go for narrow rather than wide.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Capacity has been a bit of a concern for me. I'd like to be carrying some kit that most would most likely leave behind, namely:
- D-SLR
- 2/3 Lenes
- Cokin Filter set
- And a tripod of some description; currently considering a GorillaPod for back/bike packing duties.

With that in mind, the more capacity the better for me. I generally set everything I need to one side, and then pack it rather than pack to the amount of space I have anyway so I don't think I'm likely to find myself packing extra unnecessarily.
composite

Post by composite »

I have never really been happy about carrying a DSLR and lenses unless it's on my back. I guess it depends on how rough the route is though.
Gari

Post by Gari »

With regard to camera kit I usually use a LowePro top loader, one of the AW models. I find that I can get a body/lens plus a longer lens if required(I prefer to shoot at the wide end) plus a couple of batteries. The filters fit fine, I use a Cokin holder for bike packing, they are in the front pocket, and I use a Gorrila pod with a small bullhead as most of my shots are upright. it is fine with a smallish body but I need to re-visit if I am going to take my body/batteryholder combo :roll:
I mount it on the bars using the fittings for the Revelate bar bag, or a set I made up with fastex buckles and some webbing.

not the best photo but you get the idea. it does clear the tyre by the way....
Solo

Post by Solo »

Welcome.

Pleased you found the forum useful.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Not sure i'd want to be putting camera equipment into a frame bag. Anything i put in there generally gets rattled about alot
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Andy was really happy with the backpack here for his DSLR

http://www.privateer.cc/2012/06/grenzst ... e.html?m=1
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

that Lowepro bag is what I use when doing a moving photoshoot, I can get Nikon D7000 or D610 in with either a 24-70 (or 16-85) and a 70-200 f4 ( or a 50-150 f2.8) as well as all my usual gubbins for riding, its heavy on your back but the best solution I've found so far
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

And to answer the original question, I 've been using an Alpkit Possum which great and as good as my Revelate Tangle and an Alpkit Fuel Pod which is not as good as my Revelate Gas Tank, its not as stable and tends to flop to one side.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Andy was really happy with the backpack here for his DSLR
Would love one of those bags, a bit out of budget though, unfortunately. In the long run I have every intention of buying one.
And to answer the original question, I 've been using an Alpkit Possum which great and as good as my Revelate Tangle and an Alpkit Fuel Pod which is not as good as my Revelate Gas Tank, its not as stable and tends to flop to one side.
Good to hear you're getting on well with the Possum. With the Gas Tank, do you feel that it's worth paying the extra over the AlpKit Fuel Pod then, or that the Alpkit is better value for money?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

no, the revelate was more than twice the price, its better in that it is more stable but the fuel pod dors its job just as well, it just moves about a bit more
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Like the look of that Lowe Pro top loader. I bought a Nova a while ago with the aim of wearing it across my chest secured to my backpack straps, but it's a bit square and bulky. Might invest in a top loader and play around with securing it to the bars. Also need to get a Gorillapod as had a couple of attempts at time lapse, and fancy combining that with bikepacking trips...
Gari

Post by Gari »

Pretty easy to attach, in the picture it is attached to the harness fittings but it's pretty easy to get a velcro strap and some fasted bucklesx2. A couple of ladder locks to attach the straps to the top loader and away you go. Very stable and if you get the shorter bag it would clear the front tyre easily, and would be big enough for a DSLR and short zoom with room for a spare battery or 2/3...this was carrying my Olympus and battery grip, filter holder and some grads plus the cabling for a Timelapse intervelometer(triggertrap)